Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

I was chatting to a bunch of weekend warriors -like me- over a couple of beers at the Cradle Trophy.

We all find it difficult to justify the spend on HRM (We all want a Fenix3!) so we just use Strava.

Since most of us have already maxed out our fitness points for the year on Vitality the whole appeal of the Active rewards programme is gone.

(We each received 100 points per day for 10 000+ steps via the iPhone fitness app. 200 points woohoo!)

Active Rewards was fun while it lasted and I’m glad I didn’t agree into taking up the iWatch deal.

I incidentally saw a guy wearing two Apple Watches at the race this weekend. Hopefully Discovery don’t decide to drop Apple support too!

There are a lot more benefits than just that, the free flights and gym are a bonus and the smoothies...

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot more benefits than just that, the free flights and gym are a bonus and the smoothies...

And the watch - if it appeals to the person, they don't have one and are willing to risk a partial payment.

New weekly target 400 points.

Got 600 points for Emperors.

Also received refund on gym fees this month. 

Using Garmin. 

My family is getting good value via Vitality from Dischem, Pick&Pay and Woolies

I didn’t redeem a single coffee or smoothie via Active rewards because the exercise is a reward in itself.

Since I cycle and the wife runs we don’t care much for gym. It was nice to receive recognition for being active and it inspired us to train harder and more often.

We’re not going to stop training now that Active Rewards has been watered down. We’re just going to be much more circumspect about anything Discovery related.

That being said… If they launch a Fenix or an Ambit deal similar to the Apple watch i'd be first in the queue!

My family is getting good value via Vitality from Dischem, Pick&Pay and Woolies

I didn’t redeem a single coffee or smoothie via Active rewards because the exercise is a reward in itself.

Since I cycle and the wife runs we don’t care much for gym. It was nice to receive recognition for being active and it inspired us to train harder and more often.

We’re not going to stop training now that Active Rewards has been watered down. We’re just going to be much more circumspect about anything Discovery related.

That being said… If they launch a Fenix or an Ambit deal similar to the Apple watch i'd be first in the queue!

Agreed, I am just saying that by not using the free smoothies you are letting discovery keep 320 rand a month per person. 

As with all these things, unless you play the game disco makes $$

Agreed, I am just saying that by not using the free smoothies you are letting discovery keep 320 rand a month per person. 

As with all these things, unless you play the game disco makes $$

Heck yeah. I've only started claiming my smoothies since #discoverygate

Cycleops 4x per week. HR with cadence, power and distance all linked to the world accepted Trainingpeaks training software. Unfortunately Disco do not associate (currently) with Trainingpeaks so the data is transferred to strava or Garmin connect and then to Disco. Disco will not honour this because it's 3rd party data and considered unknown source.

I have requested comment and justification from Disco to no avail.

Perhaps somebody from Disco who is on the forum would care to look into this. No opinion or self experience from the clever okes, just the simple fact and finality from Disco would be nice.

So would a 911R...

Thanks

Edited by slickandtyred

Cycleops 4x per week. HR with cadence, power and distance all linked to the world accepted Trainingpeaks training software. Unfortunately Disco do not associate (currently) with Trainingpeaks so the data is transferred to strava or Garmin connect and then to Disco. Disco will not honour this because it's 3rd party data and considered unknown source.

I have requested comment and justification from Disco to no avail.

Perhaps somebody from Disco who is on the forum would care to look into this. No opinion or self experience from the clever okes, just the simple fact and finality from Disco would be nice.

So would 911R...

Thanks

The reason they are not replying is they cannot give you an answer. They do not have the ability to link new portals as they cannot get their main portal to even work correctly. 

They probably would love to link training peaks but just do not have the capacity. 

If you call them and wait the 35 minutes this is what you get told.

Only got 1500 points today - rode too fast and didn't get to ride at Vitality's 80% of max for 210 mins.

Ended the time on 206 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schoolboy error!

The reason they are not replying is they cannot give you an answer. They do not have the ability to link new portals as they cannot get their main portal to even work correctly.

They probably would love to link training peaks but just do not have the capacity.

If you call them and wait the 35 minutes this is what you get told.

I personally think they seriously underestimated the level of interest and work that this would generate. And to skill new people up in it takes a long time, so by the time they're ready the problem would probably have gone!

even the pro's are unhappy

So it appears being a bit unhealthy and slow works in one's favour - Did emperor's yesterday in about 3:10 and my average HR was 172 (Max for age should be 180) .... got 1500 points!

So it appears being a bit unhealthy and slow works in one's favour - Did emperor's yesterday in about 3:10 and my average HR was 172 (Max for age should be 180) .... got 1500 points!

An average heart rate of 172bpm you deserved all those 1500 points!!! 

I personally think they seriously underestimated the level of interest and work that this would generate. And to skill new people up in it takes a long time, so by the time they're ready the problem would probably have gone!

I think they should have worked on getting as many platforms talking to their system, then started turning off channels. 

To be honest, one or two rides not counting for me is not a major issue as I manage to ride often, but my wife who works full time and looks after little one makes time to go for an hour run, then gets told. "Nope this does not count", really demotivates her. So much so she has now cancelled her gym membership.

An average heart rate of 172bpm you deserved all those 1500 points!!! 

172 is zone 4 (J Friel) for me.

my max is 205 and LTHR is 182.