Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Pity you cant drop off your garmin with me for 2 weeks...i could repay you for the coffee [emoji6] i wondered why you didnt join us yesterday and today for the club rides.

you could use it if you link it to my Garmin account :ph34r:

I did need some time off the bike though, it did help. Put in a quick IDT session now and will try another tomorrow morning to get my goal done. 300points for 30 min vigorous is easy work

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you could use it if you link it to my Garmin account :ph34r:

I did need some time off the bike though, it did help. Put in a quick IDT session now and will try another tomorrow morning to get my goal done. 300points for 30 min vigorous is easy work

No bearing on you but this comment.......I achieve this very easy as well......this is where most of my training lies in any case.....I am not riding distances at the moment......too much on my plate......

Did the podium J Contenders not suggest that Discovery can't and should not make it too easy....for yourself and someone like me I can "smash" a few 30 minute session 4 times a week and easily make the 1200 threshold....."easy peasy" as some suggested.....no complaints form me so I have no intention fighting their system at the moment.....

I can however understand the complaints from the other people......those who train more sensibly....and those who are much fitter than myself.....some of them or many of them are a little more finely tuned......they can train for 90 minutes and not hit the 70 % threshold......or they can train for 90 minutes and make that 70 % threshold with a little added effort but ultimately it eats in to their recovery time.......these sods get a 100 points for their effort whereas I get 300 for 30 minutes after coughing up a lung to two and tomorrow morning I am ready to go again....

I can understand the complaints.......dealing with athletes all day in my line of work I have a pretty in depth understanding of how individuals operate and how everyone differs......quite simply because of this wide range of differences and variables amongst each individual person.....they should adopt the standard that gets adopted worldwide by all medical boards and heart foundations........the 70 % zone does not fall within that norm.....

For guys like you and me hammering a 30 minute session or some of the other podium contenders around here......it is simply no problem....we simply love Discovery and their flawed system......that does not mean we should not practice tolerance to the 100's out there who are unhappy.......

In summary really.......30 minutes to get 300 points is making it easy.....not a challenge as our esteemed guru's have suggested.......

I'm confused! I thought being fit (vs unfit) was having the ability to recover quickly after an effort, to be able to repeat it again, and again, and again until one can no longer sustain it.

The fitter one is, the quicker the recovery.

Actually called performance, isn't it?

Add some genetics (and mental strength) to the equation and that is a reason why some athletes can get away and stay away when the heat is on.

Or am I wrong?

What is fit vs. unfit?

No bearing on you but this comment.......I achieve this very easy as well......this is where most of my training lies in any case.....I am not riding distances at the moment......too much on my plate......

Did the podium J Contenders not suggest that Discovery can't and should not make it too easy....for yourself and someone like me I can "smash" a few 30 minute session 4 times a week and easily make the 1200 threshold....."easy peasy" as some suggested.....no complaints form me so I have no intention fighting their system at the moment.....

I can however understand the complaints from the other people......those who train more sensibly....and those who are much fitter than myself.....some of them or many of them are a little more finely tuned......they can train for 90 minutes and not hit the 70 % threshold......or they can train for 90 minutes and make that 70 % threshold with a little added effort but ultimately it eats in to their recovery time.......these sods get a 100 points for their effort whereas I get 300 for 30 minutes after coughing up a lung to two and tomorrow morning I am ready to go again....

I can understand the complaints.......dealing with athletes all day in my line of work I have a pretty in depth understanding of how individuals operate and how everyone differs......quite simply because of this wide range of differences and variables amongst each individual person.....they should adopt the standard that gets adopted worldwide by all medical boards and heart foundations........the 70 % zone does not fall within that norm.....

For guys like you and me hammering a 30 minute session or some of the other podium contenders around here......it is simply no problem....we simply love Discovery and their flawed system......that does not mean we should not practice tolerance to the 100's out there who are unhappy.......

In summary really.......30 minutes to get 300 points is making it easy.....not a challenge as our esteemed guru's have suggested.......

Personally, I'd much rather be able to train all out for 30 min a day than once a week at full taps. Also think it'd be far better for me, too. Add that to the research being done on HIIT vs Steady State exercising and the resultant benefits of a shorter, high intensity effort... 

Poor effort, you're trying too hard. Watch your recovery time, would hate to see you damage yourself. 

Poor effort, you're trying too hard. Watch your recovery time, would hate to see you damage yourself. 

The hubs biggest troll just can't stay under that bridge......nice try laaitie.......

I'm confused! I thought being fit (vs unfit) was having the ability to recover quickly after an effort, to be able to repeat it again, and again, and again until one can no longer sustain it.

The fitter one is, the quicker the recovery.

Actually called performance, isn't it?

Add some genetics (and mental strength) to the equation and that is a reason why some athletes can get away and stay away when the heat is on.

Or am I wrong?

What is fit vs. unfit?

Why do athletes dope ?

Personally, I'd much rather be able to train all out for 30 min a day than once a week at full taps. Also think it'd be far better for me, too. Add that to the research being done on HIIT vs Steady State exercising and the resultant benefits of a shorter, high intensity effort... 

Not sure where I mentioned full taps once a week......but hey that's just me....as for the 30 minutes a day.......that'll get you trough S2C comfortably.........

Not sure where I mentioned full taps once a week......but hey that's just me....as for the 30 minutes a day.......that'll get you trough S2C comfortably.........

Nope, that's just my preference. 

30 min 5 times a week vs 4 hours once a week. Far lower overall time, but a far better response from the bod. 

30 min 5 times a week vs 4 hours once a week. Far lower overall time, but a far better response from the bod. 

Oh yes the recovery will be quicker........Gerald says "the fitter one is the quicker you recover" .....of course.....the longer you train the longer it takes to recover......as I said.....why do athletes dope ?

What training will you be doing if you were to attempt a Berg and Bush or S2C Myles.....out of interest ?

Are you using this programme for strength and conditioning or for metabolising fat, cos while it will improve your strength and speed, you're barely getting to glycogen depletion in order to start metabolising? And you know if you put even a regular gym bunny, or worse a Non-exerciser, onto the next bike and drilled them at that pace they'd be revisiting their lunch pretty soon. And most guys and gals don't want to train to attack those ninja climbs I missed on Sunday :( Edited by Thor Buttox

Are you using this programme for strength and conditioning or for metabolising fat, cos while it will improve your strength and speed, you're barely getting to glycogen depletion in order to start metabolising? And you know if you put even a regular gym bunny, or worse a Non-exerciser, onto the next bike and drilled them at that pace they'd be revisiting their lunch pretty soon. And most guys and gals don't want to train to attack those ninja climbs I missed on Sunday :(

Thor I think we are on the same wavelength here......good to know someone else has a good level of understanding.........

The hubs biggest troll just can't stay under that bridge......nice try laaitie.......

Thanks muppet. Let us know how your meeting with the Discovery executive goes. 

Thor I think we are on the same wavelength here......good to know someone else has a good level of understanding.........

I have been my own experiment on this stuff for so many years it's become almost second nature. After putting on 8kg in one week while I was on rest break waaay back in the day, I got quite interested in the whole process and now have held by weight constant within 2 or 3kg for 5 years while fluctuating on the fat %. It's crazy how sensitive we are to diet - but the one other thing exercise based is that for the regular person, a very hard 30min exercise will almost certainly fail, as their fitness goal will not be the same as ours. A long walk between 120-140bps will be far better as it's achievable - if they don't immediately go stock up at the Beef n Burger and store it all up again, which is what most of the short trainers do. Edited by Thor Buttox

Oh yes the recovery will be quicker........Gerald says "the fitter one is the quicker you recover" .....of course.....the longer you train the longer it takes to recover......as I said.....why do athletes dope ?

What training will you be doing if you were to attempt a Berg and Bush or S2C Myles.....out of interest ?

If I were doing it, I'd be concentrating on above threshold efforts for extended periods of time, added to sprints and cross training. Hurtbox stuff. I can diesel along for hours on end at 70% HRR if I need to (tried that) but I would like to increase my ability to operate at anaerobic levels. 

Are you using this programme for strength and conditioning or for metabolising fat, cos while it will improve your strength and speed, you're barely getting to glycogen depletion in order to start metabolising? And you know if you put even a regular gym bunny, or worse a Non-exerciser, onto the next bike and drilled them at that pace they'd be revisiting their lunch pretty soon. And most guys and gals don't want to train to attack those ninja climbs I missed on Sunday :(

I'm not, that's the problem. At the moment I'm a bit super-stressed (an accumulation of factors) and I don't get a lot of time to train. But - my sessions don't last only 30 min. I'm going far longer per session.