Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

you have a point, but...

Having a high rate doesn't make one unfit.

Never did I say that.........unfit people max out their heart rate much quicker than when they start getting fit.....you might have a heart that operates and beats quite fast even though you are fit.....take a few weeks off and see how quick you hit the ceiling........start training longer hours back to back and then see how much harder it becomes to get your heart rate up at any level.......as I said no problem for me my heart beats fast like yourself.....I am not fit at the moment so I reach these levels without much effort......I run "hot" and others run "cold".....here is here I possibly see where Discovery made a mistake........they did not cater for the two different ends of the scale......

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were doing it, I'd be concentrating on above threshold efforts for extended periods of time, added to sprints and cross training. Hurtbox stuff. I can diesel along for hours on end at 70% HRR if I need to (tried that) but I would like to increase my ability to operate at anaerobic levels

I'm not, that's the problem. At the moment I'm a bit super-stressed (an accumulation of factors) and I don't get a lot of time to train. But - my sessions don't last only 30 min. I'm going far longer per session. 

Anaerobic levels require short sudden bursts of energy......if you say you want to "operate" at that level then here is me hoping that you have the understanding that it's not sustainable for long periods.....unless of course you are genetically gifted like our gurus on here......which puts them ahead of the Schurter's and Froome's of the world........

I have been my own experiment on this stuff for so many years it's become almost second nature. After putting on 8kg in one week while I was on rest break waaay back in the day, I got quite interested in the whole process and now have held by weight constant within 2 or 3kg for 5 years while fluctuating on the fat %. It's crazy how sensitive we are to diet - but the one other thing exercise based is that for the regular person, a very hard 30min exercise will almost certainly fail, as their fitness goal will not be the same as ours. A long walk between 120-140bps will be far better as it's achievable - if they don't immediately go stock up at the Beef n Burger and store it all up again, which is what most of the short trainers do.

That's the main reason HIIT has come along, a la Tabata. Max 15 minutes, and it's results are verifiable and it's such a short session. I've only done a few of them, but they're actually damn awesome. And have superior results on fitness than the Solid state exercise does (when looking at capacity, that is)

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Thanks muppet. Let us know how your meeting with the Discovery executive goes. 

Muppet.......LOL.....ons het vir jou gewag Vrydag.....as for MY meeting with Discovery.....wipe the arrogance off your lids and read my comments from earlier where I made it known that I reach these targets with a smile and that I have no intention of fighting the system......unless of course you are still under the impression that you are talking to someone else besides me.......

Anaerobic levels require short sudden bursts of energy......if you say you want to "operate" at that level then here is me hoping that you have the understanding that it's not sustainable for long periods.....unless of course you are genetically gifted like our gurus on here......which puts them ahead of the Schurter's and Froome's of the world........

yeah, I know. Problem is that I can currently go for hours at 70%, but not very fast. I need to train at those higher levels to raise my fitness levels, which consequently increases my efficiency and results in a slightly faster pace at those lower HRR's. 

NEED to fit in more HIIT sessions though. 

I have been my own experiment on this stuff for so many years it's become almost second nature. After putting on 8kg in one week while I was on rest break waaay back in the day, I got quite interested in the whole process and now have held by weight constant within 2 or 3kg for 5 years while fluctuating on the fat %. It's crazy how sensitive we are to diet - but the one other thing exercise based is that for the regular person, a very hard 30min exercise will almost certainly fail, as their fitness goal will not be the same as ours. A long walk between 120-140bps will be far better as it's achievable - if they don't immediately go stock up at the Beef n Burger and store it all up again, which is what most of the short trainers do.

This should be preached to Discovery and the other champs around here.............

Muppet.......LOL.....ons het vir jou gewag Vrydag.....as for MY meeting with Discovery.....wipe the arrogance off your lids and read my comments from earlier where I made it known that I reach these targets with a smile and that I have no intention of fighting the system......unless of course you are still under the impression that you are talking to someone else besides me.......

"Ons het vir jou gewag" Are you 12 years old? Why the hell must I drive out there to meet with you and your perma-banned friend? Sure you had a great time compiling your Powerpoint presentation. 

PS: I don't particularly care which targets you reach as long as your friend can also have a smoothie  :clap:

"Ons het vir jou gewag" Are you 12 years old? Why the hell must I drive out there to meet with you and your perma-banned friend? Sure you had a great time compiling your Powerpoint presentation. 

PS: I don't particularly care which targets you reach as long as your friend can also have a smoothie  :clap:

I invited you to a beer....simple as that......we waited but waited in vain...... :clap:

Oh - on the operating at that level. Also so that I get used to going down after punishing myself on the way up. Or at least that I can go faster on the way up so that my downs are more enjoyable. 

Tried climbing at 70% or less the other day. Climb took me twice as long as when I just don't watch my HR. 

Oh - on the operating at that level. Also so that I get used to going down after punishing myself on the way up. Or at least that I can go faster on the way up so that my downs are more enjoyable. 

Tried climbing at 70% or less the other day. Climb took me twice as long as when I just don't watch my HR. 

The runners and soccer players here by me have a simple theory when they go for a jog.......if they can still chat to one another without being too much out of breath......then they are doing fine....regardless of heart rate.......and generally you will see that if you download their data after a session like that....they all perform within their acceptable aerobic threshold.......we have not even touched on V02max....... :whistling:

Edited by BarHugger

The runners and soccer players here by me have a simple theory when they go for a jog.......if they can still chat to one another without being too much out of breath......then they are doing fine....regardless of heart rate.......and generally you will see that if you download their data after a session like that....they all perform wishing their acceptable aerobic threshold.......we have not even touch on V02max....... :whistling:

yeah. But I'm not a sportsman... LOL. 

Anyway. I rev high, but I want to increase my capacity whilst revving higher, and that means kakking off at those higher revs. Whether it's 3 sessions of 2 hours per session, or 5 of 30 min per session at an even higher RPE, it's going to have the same result. My capacity will increase and I'll be able to handle it better and eventually go faster. Or, go the same speed and not *** off as much. 

yeah. But I'm not a sportsman... LOL.

Anyway. I rev high, but I want to increase my capacity whilst revving higher, and that means kakking off at those higher revs. Whether it's 3 sessions of 2 hours per session, or 5 of 30 min per session at an even higher RPE, it's going to have the same result. My capacity will increase and I'll be able to handle it better and eventually go faster. Or, go the same speed and not *** off as much.

dont rev to high in the bedroom.

It's important to get used to going down. Some blue tabs can help with the punishing yourself on the way up too.

Even after having a pretty crap headcold and not really been on the bike in four weeks, I still only managed 152bpm average (2 less than 80%) on a 43km Van Gaalen afkak session. This is pointless (see I made a pun, I'm not bitter)

Even after having a pretty crap headcold and not really been on the bike in four weeks, I still only managed 152bpm average (2 less than 80%) on a 43km Van Gaalen afkak session. This is pointless (see I made a pun, I'm not bitter)

But I'm sure you got 100 points  :whistling: