Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

if I do a swim event that comprises of 5 x 1.6km swims in one day. Do you think they'll count it as 8km and give me the 3000 points or will it be only 600 for one event and the rest won't count?

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see Woolies is now available on the list of places to reem R100 vouchers again. Still being told by cashiers that I can only cash in one per purchase though. Is that right?

No, you just need to sign up for the Endurance option. Then your weekly goal is pushed to 1200, but those longer activities get you more points. If you're doing the activities anyway, why not? Then again, if you're going to max out the yearly activity points anyway, and all you're interested in is your personal fitness, then it's no big deal.

I am going to max out in any case at 900 points per week. rather prefer the 900. As said above, easy to achieve for those weeks when you are sick or just to busy to exercise. thanks

if I do a swim event that comprises of 5 x 1.6km swims in one day. Do you think they'll count it as 8km and give me the 3000 points or will it be only 600 for one event and the rest won't count?

I'm guessing that if you just pause the device you record with in between, it'll be uploaded as a single swim.

I'm guessing that if you just pause the device you record with in between, it'll be uploaded as a single swim.

And even if you stop each activity and upload 8 different distinct activities you will only be awarded points for one of them. So 600 it is.

i'll want to stop it after each activity so I can see my times etc. But I see the results page online is called the 5 mile results so I'll try load it as an 8km event and lin the results for the overall time.

I suspect the 3000pt thing is only for races, so if it's part of your training, you'll get 600 (based on duration and HR)

i'll want to stop it after each activity so I can see my times etc. But I see the results page online is called the 5 mile results so I'll try load it as an 8km event and lin the results for the overall time.

An event is an actual organised and timed event on their events list, not just a swim by yourself. You won't get 3000 points for that.

An event is an actual organised and timed event on their events list, not just a swim by yourself. You won't get 3000 points for that.

I understood that mon-goose was talking about an actual event when saying "event" and then later saying it is shown on a results page, which also sounds like a race/event and not personal exercising.

If it is shown on a results page then there is no need to record all the individual swims as one.

Just complete the Vitality sporting events form on https://www.discovery.co.za/portal/individual/vit-partner-outdoor-sporting-events

Fill in the info requested, take a screenshot of the result and upload and give a weblink to the results page.

If it is not a timed event then irrespective of time, you will just get the max points allocation for that type of workout.

No, you just need to sign up for the Endurance option. Then your weekly goal is pushed to 1200, but those longer activities get you more points. If you're doing the activities anyway, why not? Then again, if you're going to max out the yearly activity points anyway, and all you're interested in is your personal fitness, then it's no big deal.

This. 

I understood that mon-goose was talking about an actual event when saying "event" and then later saying it is shown on a results page, which also sounds like a race/event and not personal exercising.

yip, it's an actual organised event wiht 5 swims after each other. The times of each swim are combined for overall results, hopefully I'll get the full 3000 point

I've previously logged swimming events on discovery and attached the results. On the results page that I attach and on the web page that I link it shows my time and position but doesn't say how far it was. In the description I say how far it was and discovery have accepted and given me my points. I've honestly never lied but it looks like they've just taken my word on the distance

And ... drum roll ....polar is not synching AGAIN!!!!   :cursing:

was find Monday - yesterday - nada. 

https://www.dispatchlive.co.za/news/2019-01-17-no-more-fake-swipes-discovery-vitality-to-monitor-your-sessions-at-gym/ 

Discovery Vitality is planning to crack down on fake gym visits.

Members earn 100 points per gym swipe but there is no way to monitor whether people actually exercise when they enter the gym. Instead‚ it's become common for Vitality users to enter the gym for a "fake swipe" and buy a smoothie or exit immediately.

Discovery Vitality CEO Dinesh Govender said Planet Fitness gym had already introduced exit swipes at some of their clubs to curb exercise dodgers.

"The swipes do not detract from the member experience‚ are not inconvenient for members and provide us with assurance that gym attendance meets the minimum thresholds we have set for workouts to be deemed clinically relevant‚" Govender said.

Govender said the plan was to monitor whether members used the facility for half an hour‚ which would then ensure that they scored the 100 points.

"Members would be required to spend a minimum of 30 minutes for moderate-intensity exercise for 30-60 minutes a day‚ at least five times a week for a minimum of 150 minutes a week."

The required minimum time is in line with the American College of Sports Medicine guidelines.