Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

I just want to earn my smoothie points oh and train for it, the incentive is nice. Have already reached gold/diamond status nearly a month ago, better half has signed up on the i-watch, achieving the weekly goals is not an issue for better half (super fit, super busy, super training), has got the toys required to make the weekly goal.

I on the other hand do not have all the toys, I have HRM belt (suunto), linked to the wattbike (train at VA). Strava was my friend, now Disco is divorcing my friend and I am at a loss with regards to route to follow to ensure that I can still get my points (for my smoothie ;-)) after April 2nd.

Frankly I do not have the money to dole out buy another HRM, or HRM-GPS system. So now I will just be smoothi-less. It frustrates me, because I like discovery and like their products, I like the training and I did like the smoothie reward. What I do not like is having to buy more toys in order to have a recognised device which will capture heart rate etc. I feel being co-opted, I know I can choose not to buy another device.

Guess I will just have to buy my smoothies... and not be "rewarded" oh well *sigh*

2 options

Option 1 - plug a usb stick into the back of the lcd unit on the wattbike, save all your data to usb then look to export to GC back at home via computer. Load workout onto wattbike expert software (free download from wattbike website). Save to format to upload to GC. Create fake GC profile to do so.

Option 2 - save to strava as normal, create a fake GC profile, use tapriik

Edited by shaper

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see that tacx makes a HR monitor that transmits on ANT + and Blutooth. I might use that with my Garmin and a speed sensor on the back wheel for my IDT sessions which I do three times a week and don't currently log. Allow me to run the tacx as normal and save the session to the Garmin for upload to Garmin connect which is linked to Vitality. If vitality get stricter then I will get more careful about logging all my exercise. I currently just log what I need to get by.

2 options

Option 1 - plug a usb stick into the back of the lcd unit on the wattbike, save all your data to usb then look to export to GC back at home via computer. Load workout onto wattbike expert software (free download from wattbike website). Save to format to upload to GC. Create fake GC profile to do so.

Posted this link a few pages back

http://randolphburt.co.uk/2015/01/13/how-to-transfer-your-wattbike-workout-to-garmin-connect-strava/

Don't know if it was mentioned earlier but I received an email from discovery stating how one can achieve their goals in April.

I just hope that they reset the goals to give everyone a fair chance. Cause my goal jumped to 1200 cause it was so easy to reach while training for the CTCT MTB & CTCT. What I see from the post everybody seems to think it would not be so easy to reach.

e59cf899c6cf9eeaa1168ae9bc659ba3.jpg

Did this ride on Sunday, discovery gave me 350 points, had HR monitor on. It is on garmin connect.

:/

Lol. I went for an hour ride this morning, 27km in total and I got 600 points.

I think people can be upset about the targets changing but I think it was made quite clear from the get go, that you need to exercise to get the watch free. What did people expect? Discovery are just gonna hand everyone a free watch?

Based on my ride this morning, it was quite clear that to maintain those new heart rate targets over longer rides are going to be impossible. That's what Discovery wants. They are making it impossible to hit those 3000 points because they want you to go out again and exercise again. That's the whole point of this.

95% of people on this forum will hit their targets because we exercise regularly. I know people are upset now but once the new thing is in force, and people continue to hit targets, the complaints will be less. The only guys that will continue to moan are the lazy buggers that dont wanna exercise.

At the end of the day, this is a wellness program and is designed to encourage you to exercise more and live a healthier life. Why go for the watch when you dont wanna exercise?

I think people can be upset about the targets changing but I think it was made quite clear from the get go, that you need to exercise to get the watch free. What did people expect? Discovery are just gonna hand everyone a free watch?

Based on my ride this morning, it was quite clear that to maintain those new heart rate targets over longer rides are going to be impossible. That's what Discovery wants. They are making it impossible to hit those 3000 points because they want you to go out again and exercise again. That's the whole point of this

95% of people on this forum will hit their targets because we exercise regularly. I know people are upset now but once the new thing is in force, and people continue to hit targets, the complaints will be less. The only guys that will continue to moan are the lazy buggers that dont wanna exercise.

At the end of the day, this is a wellness program and is designed to encourage you to exercise more and live a healthier life. Why go for the watch when you dont wanna exercise?

Edited by Cheese

2 options

There is also a wattbike app that you can download. Link this with strava and it automatically pull the workout through on strava.

My problem is that my strava doesn't want to link with Disco, so no smoothies and/or any other benefits for me as well.

There is also a wattbike app that you can download. Link this with strava and it automatically pull the workout through on strava.

My problem is that my strava doesn't want to link with Disco, so no smoothies and/or any other benefits for me as well.

Option 2

What is interesting is that looking on there website, things are different there compared to the email we received.  i.e run speed is now 8km's per hour (was 4km's) and ride speed must be 20km's per hour (was 8km's).  When I spoke to the lady at vitality she said these are the new speeds come the 2nd of April.  There was no mention of speed in THE email..

That said, 20km's on a road bike is easily achievable, but on a technical mtb trail its a bit of a push (for me at least).   But at least its something achievable if you don't have a heart rate monitor.

What is interesting is that looking on there website, things are different there compared to the email we received. i.e run speed is now 8km's per hour (was 4km's) and ride speed must be 20km's per hour (was 8km's). When I spoke to the lady at vitality she said these are the new speeds come the 2nd of April. There was no mention of speed in THE email..

That said, 20km's on a road bike is easily achievable, but on a technical mtb trail its a bit of a push (for me at least). But at least its something achievable if you don't have a heart rate monitor.

They seem to be shifting the goal post as their mail said 10 km/h

e677e74d6cc96f1ecdd382a17e54073d.jpg

They seem to be shifting the goal post as their mail said 10 km/h

e677e74d6cc96f1ecdd382a17e54073d.jpg

Not really worried about the speed setting, but the website STILL says 10kph. 

Ratty, where did you see 20KPH?

Here is my problem: 

I run and I cycle, and have always just used my iphone and the strava app, to get free coffee and collect points. I don't like running with my phone though, and don't mind carrying it when I ride. 

My weekly Rewards targets are always reached. Now Strava is not accepted anymore - but what should I do : get the free Iwatch (free in my case I think), but then have to carry both phone and watch? Or do I need to get a full fitness tracker to track routes like i did on Strava and still get points / rewards. It is all confusion.. 

maybe someone has the same issue. what do you do post 1 Aprli / sans Strava? 

thanks