Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying too hard laaitie.....go speak to the man himself instead of sitting here like a cowardly little ankle snapper.........

I'm not your laaitie sock puppet. Let me know when you're going to meet Mr. Gore. Would be great to meet him. This country needs more people like him.

I'm not your laaitie sock puppet. Let me know when you're going to meet Mr. Gore. Would be great to meet him. This country needs more people like him.

You are going to wait a long time laaitie.....I am quite happy with Discovery as it would stand.......maar hou aan bek rek......it's quite amusing........

Whoohoo.. on 1200 points... no more worry about what need to achieve  :clap:

1200 for me too.

Lets hope that the end of the increases...

It's interesting that my goal is 1000 points, I excercise to reach my goals to get the gym subsidy paid for, 7 gym sessions a week only gets me 700 points. Basically vitality are saying that gym only for the gym subsidy is not enough. So to reach the goal to get my gym subsidy, I run or ride outside the gym so my fitness device takes precedence over the gym swipe.

I doubt vitality get the message that this sends...

It's interesting that my goal is 1000 points, I excercise to reach my goals to get the gym subsidy paid for, 7 gym sessions a week only gets me 700 points. Basically vitality are saying that gym only for the gym subsidy is not enough. So to reach the goal to get my gym subsidy, I run or ride outside the gym so my fitness device takes precedence over the gym swipe.

if you use your device inside the gym, that takes precedence as it's the highest points that gets the nod. 

if you use your device inside the gym, that takes precedence as it's the highest points that gets the nod.

In my experiments, Not for anything under an hour in which case I'm outside the gym for something I can actually enjoy. Sitting on a Wattbike or a tread mill for more than 60min is mind numblingly boring.

My point is that for vitality to provide you with a 100% gym subsidy, you cannot rely on going to the gym to receive that subsidy, which to me is odd.

Edited by Kom

In my experiments, Not for anything under an hour in which case I'm outside the gym for something I can actually enjoy. Sitting on a Wattbike or a tread mill for more than 60min is mind numblingly boring.

My point is that for vitality to provide you with a 100% gym subsidy, you cannot rely on going to the gym to receive that subsidy, which to me is odd.

I run on the treadmill for 31 min and get 300 points per run so it is pretty easy to get to the max target. 

Remember that the points are time based on your heart rate, so start recording after warm up and stop before cool down. 

I find it pretty easy to meet the targets, just takes a bit of thought.

And I am getting too many points for a 3 and a bit hour cradle ride of about 100km.

I really don't see what the issue is with the targets and points. Just think and record and enjoy the benefits.

I run on the treadmill for 31 min and get 300 points per run so it is pretty easy to get to the max target. 

Remember that the points are time based on your heart rate, so start recording after warm up and stop before cool down. 

And I am getting too many points for a 3 and a bit hour cradle ride of about 100km.

I really don't see what the issue is with the targets and points. Just think and record and enjoy the benefits.

Never thought about only recording after warm up, that way it's regarded as vigorous vs moderate.

My Sunday 4hr ride gets me 3000 points, don't get me wrong I meet the goals easily, my point is purely a considerations round gym swipes and the subsidy.

Never thought about only recording after warm up, that way it's regarded as vigorous vs moderate.

My Sunday 4hr ride gets me 3000 points, don't get me wrong I meet the goals easily, my point is purely a considerations round gym swipes and the subsidy.

I think that a lot of the moaning and bitching stems from not really understanding the heart rate vs time thing, and that the log for points favours a high rate.

So don't record the bits that lower the average, like warm up and the stops for coffee etc.

I think the Vitality rewards is a great thing and has certainly nudged me into exercising more regularily and it helps to make bailing on a session a bit harder. Which I suppose is the whole aim of the programme.

So I get more exercise, free gym, cash back, free iwatch, and free drinks. Cool

I think the reason for this is to make sure the gym swipers don't profit. There's no way to prove you actually worked out when you go gym so you need some sort of fitness device.

Like others have said 30 min at full tilt on the wattbike gets you 300 points. 

Mini crisis!! Went for ride yesterday without HR strap and target is 1200 this week. Better get moving or I'll be disgruntled when I miss my smoothie.

My wife has the same problem, she goes to gym , Monday to Friday and logs 500 points, yet Disco keeps upping her target. She hurt her ankle running, so no more running with HR to get more points, and she uses the weekends to rest. Surely Disco should allow for some balance between exercise and rest (I think this was raised early on somewhere in the tread too). So now she makes her target one week, then fails 2 weeks (target is increased to 550 or 600)  after which the target is dropped again to 500, and the cycle repeats.

The issue is that everyone's heart rates are different. You may well get 300, 600 or 1500 points for your 100km ride, but 112km rides for me including 1750m of climbing and 3 sets of criss cross intervals only earns 100 points.

Why? - because I am FIT and recover extremely quickly, and my heart beats extremely low - the above 4 hour example I average 119bpm.

Everyone is different. Something Discovery Vitality doesnt understand, or doesnt care to admit because of the extra work it would cause them...

Edited by Li Mu Bai

snip...rate.

So don't record the bits that lower the average, like warm up and the stops for coffee etc.

snip...

Then you are "Gaming" / manipulating their system. and the reason they changed everything.

But one has to do what one has to do when crying to deaf ears...

Edited by Li Mu Bai