Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Myles question for you that you may want to put to your Discovery Contacts

With the new system of points, they increased the individual from 30,000 to 45,000... now with the decrease in points... they going to bring the 45,000 target down?

Which they should do!!

er, no they didn't... target for gold has always been 45,000

What DID change is the allowable points for fitness activities. If you include the Fitness assessments, you can now get 45,000 for fitness related activities alone ie: 30,000 from exercise and 15,000 from fitness assessments

The rest (screening & online) are over and above that...

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the Fitness Assessment doesn't count towards the fitness points? Great. Last year I was told it would be a waste as I already maxed out the fitness points

er, no they didn't... target for gold has always been 45,000

What DID change is the allowable points for fitness activities. If you include the Fitness assessments, you can now get 45,000 for fitness related activities alone ie: 30,000 from exercise and 15,000 from fitness assessments

The rest (screening & online) are over and above that...

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying.. for some reason had thought there was an increase

So the Fitness Assessment doesn't count towards the fitness points? Great. Last year I was told it would be a waste as I already maxed out the fitness points

correct, not any more. Fitness max is 30,000 per year, EXCL the Fitness Assessments. 

Does count to your overall points 

But strava syncs to the Health app which captures heartrate. I don't see what the issue is.

The built in app is crap for cycling. I refuse to use it. 

OK I have not read all the posts, but I think I get the gist of it.

Disco's issue is as follows:

1. They are giving real money out on the freebies, depending on how much you train (Granted the move the posts the more you do)

2. Your points status and other discounts are also linked to your points etc.

3. They want to verify that YOU did the exersise, so that is why certain apps are allowed.

EG. I know Garmin logs the device against a person and you cant link 2 people to the same device. (OK you can get around it and and, but it is a mission). What has been happening, or at least I think so, is people have been using Strava to manually create a training event and claim the points. Or better still using the same file to upload to their partner's profile.

I would if I could. Easy points that is. I know Polar has the same loophole.

regarding the points allocation for cyclists they were waaaaay stupid. I maxed my 30 k point out in 2 weeks. What good it that. I thought their aim was to keep you active the whole year round.

Their actuaries were fast asleep on this one.

I think a better approach would be to peg points against an average joe's required training requirements to keep him/her healthy. caveat, they also need to keep it attractive for the couch potato to get off his ass. If he feels it is impossible he wont even try.

But at the moment their system is broken. Just my 2 cents.

OK I have not read all the posts, but I think I get the gist of it.

Disco's issue is as follows:

1. They are giving real money out on the freebies, depending on how much you train (Granted the move the posts the more you do)

2. Your points status and other discounts are also linked to your points etc.

3. They want to verify that YOU did the exersise, so that is why certain apps are allowed.

EG. I know Garmin logs the device against a person and you cant link 2 people to the same device. (OK you can get around it and and, but it is a mission). What has been happening, or at least I think so, is people have been using Strava to manually create a training event and claim the points. Or better still using the same file to upload to their partner's profile.

I would if I could. Easy points that is. I know Polar has the same loophole.

regarding the points allocation for cyclists they were waaaaay stupid. I maxed my 30 k point out in 2 weeks. What good it that. I thought their aim was to keep you active the whole year round.

Their actuaries were fast asleep on this one.

I think a better approach would be to peg points against an average joe's required training requirements to keep him/her healthy. caveat, they also need to keep it attractive for the couch potato to get off his ass. If he feels it is impossible he wont even try.

But at the moment their system is broken. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with whatever you're saying but what I'm trying to get at is the fact that strava sends the data to the Health app and discovery pulls the information from that app. So basically my issue is that, if you're using strava via the watch, then it's tracking heartrate and the data is getting sent to the Health app anyway. I don't see how you can cheat that.

When you're using strava via your phone without heartrate then yes, its easy to cheat but not when it's tracking heartrate. Unless I have this all wrong.

Well then, based on that table I won't be getting any points based on HR. Nice one Discovery. 

And Discovery 80% = 87% (My actual) 

Dude they are paying out tons of moola.

The actuaries Fkd up royally and now they want to stop it. Good luck to them sorting out the apple watch and other linked device incentives they signed people up for. 

The horse has bolted already. The majority of members that did any serious riding since January will have maxed out the points already and they cant take this back.

I believe their best course of action it to keep the status as is and just discontinue new entrants and spend the rest of the year getting next year's plan sorted.

Don't see what all the fuss is about. Discovery wanted people to be more active and thats what they got. The fact that cheating has been exposed is sad but not unexpected. How many people do you see walk into the gym only to walk straight out again? 

You don't exercise or train to receive a free smoothie, coffee or shake every week, you train to improve your general well-being. 

Yussis, the peeps are climbing into Discovery Vitality on FaceBook...social media f-up of note

and it looks like they told their social media team to not respond to any queries. They still responded yesterday but as of today, nothing.

Not a waste because you have to complete the fitness assessment to increase your Sportsmans Warehouse cash back to 25%, otherwise you only get 10% as far as i know?

Reporting LIVE from the Discovery Vitality Facebook page - 

5* 133

4* 33

3* 20

2* 12

1* 132

It's neck and neck as we go into prime facebooking time....