Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

About the only thing that came out of the Armstrong doping era was a pearl of wisdom from Carmichael.

Recovery below 80% of actual heart rate max is an hour for an hour. So if you ride at 75% for 4 hours you only need 4 hours recovery.

For every hour above 80% of actual heart rate max, not disco age based bollocks, you will need 8 hours recovery.

So it's fair to say if you are pushing 172 bpm for 3 1/2 hours your recovery will be a day at least. But as you are not an elite trained athlete you will feel farked for more than a day. It's just your body saying I don't want to do that again soon. Realistically you should wait until your resting pulse returns to normal, less than 50 for most, before you go hard again.

Here is a summary from a book I got way back when (birthday gift from the Mrs) - Chris Carmichael/LA highlighting the recovery time

7b517941758195f28a97bb5341c19652.jpg

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So it's fair to say if you are pushing 172 bpm for 3 1/2 hours your recovery will be a day at least. But as you are not an elite trained athlete you will feel farked for more than a day. It's just your body saying I don't want to do that again soon.  Realistically you should wait until your resting pulse returns to normal, less than 50 for most, before you go hard again.

forgot to check my RHR this morning, but yesterday it was at 56, normal resting is 48. It generally takes 3-4 days for me to start feeling good again after a serious effort like Sunday.

forgot to check my RHR this morning, but yesterday it was at 56, normal resting is 48. It generally takes 3-4 days for me to start feeling good again after a serious effort like Sunday.

Do you include active recovery in your training?

Active Recovery day: targeting ONLY Active Recovery (Power Z1, HR Z1, RPE <2). Focus on relaxing on the bike and enjoying the ride. If you have to climb some hills use easy gear and spin easy. Today is about recovery, so go for easy spin!

Active Recovery day: targeting ONLY Active Recovery (Power Z1, HR Z1, RPE <2). Focus on relaxing on the bike and enjoying the ride. If you have to climb some hills use easy gear and spin easy. Today is about recovery, so go for easy spin!

LOL. I tried that. Any hills, and I instantly hit 80% plus of my real max. I have to actively concentrate on my breathing and go suuuuuper slow in order to just touch 70%. 

LOL. I tried that. Any hills, and I instantly hit 80% plus of my real max. I have to actively concentrate on my breathing and go suuuuuper slow in order to just touch 70%.

perhaps stay away from the hills on days like these and you will benefit a bit more from doing active recovery.

I do yes, did an easy 30mins on the IDT in HR Z1 this morning. I know It probably should have been more like an hour but decided to sleep for an extra 45mins

perhaps stay away from the hills on days like these and you will benefit a bit more from doing active recovery.

yeah. Agreed. Just the time factor. My "active recovery" tends to be just recovery. As in normal everyday activities. 

monday is recovery day...no riding...today was back to the grindstone (interval training).

i dont have a hrm on my bike...i just know it was flippen hard work on sunday...so today i eased into the training session...legs were a bit stiff in the beginning but by the end of the session we did a few 8 second from standstill accelerations...and managed to max at 1124 watts...averaging around 700 watts for the 8 seconds.

Avg Max Speed 28.1km/h 64.8km/h Heart Rate 145bpm 171bpm Cadence 89 191 Power 156W 1,124W Calories 628 Elapsed Time 1:00:06

2 weeks left of cadence...then i am gona rest for a couple of days...and change my focus from pedaling the bike to eating better...all this hard work just seem like such a waste unless the extra 20 kg i carry around my waist goes away.

There's RECOVERY (sitting around doing nothing) and then there is ACTIVE RECOVERY (riding in one's recovery zone).

For many years I thought it was only RECOVERY and never did ACTIVE RECOVERY. Since then, I've noticed an improvement in my ability to push the hard sessions harder much sooner - if that makes sense.

There's RECOVERY (sitting around doing nothing) and then there is ACTIVE RECOVERY (riding in one's recovery zone).

For many years I thought it was only RECOVERY and never did ACTIVE RECOVERY. Since then, I've noticed an improvement in my ability to push the hard sessions harder much sooner - if that makes sense.

it does, and I need to make more of an effort to fit some in. 

Or put your feet up and rest. Stay away from any exercise until you are in better condition and the AICAR and meldonium kick in.

These complaints are really getting out of hand hey...

The problem with people in this country is that they want everything handed to them. 

Free smoothies and free apple watch for manually adding workouts,  or thinking that 1 Saturday morning activity is going to get you your goal is just wrong. 

It would be interesting if there was stats to show who's the ones complaining the most... Couch potatoes or the fitter more active crowd.