Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

But as a timed event each rider would have received 3,000 points?

My response had nothing to do with the allocation of points but more to the statement made quite often in this thread that the fitter one gets the harder it is to have a heart rate above 80%.

Which is plainly rubbish. Although due to training and racing regimes few riders would choose to ride for 210+ minutes above 80%.

Why not post some time trial data where the effect of the peloton is less pronounced?

That's simply wrong dude. Joe Friel even put a number to it. MHR can decline as much as 7% after an extended period of base training. You can expect at least a 3% decline in MHR. It's just the way it is. If MHR declines stands to reason it will get harder to get above Vitalities 80% goal. I even heard Dr Jeroen mention this effect of training on HR.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I did a sub 2hr half marathon running race at avg HR 88% all for a whopping 600 points today!

#lovethepointssystem!

Got my first 3000 points event on the new system today for the 32km Cradle run (I'm slow and not a runner, so got for 210 minutes above 80% MHR) Can't see myself doing that every week though

Edited by Craai

My response had nothing to do with the allocation of points but more to the statement made quite often in this thread that the fitter one gets the harder it is to have a heart rate above 80%.

Which is plainly rubbish. Although due to training and racing regimes few riders would choose to ride for 210+ minutes above 80%.

Why not post some time trial data where the effect of the peloton is less pronounced?

You keep suggesting my comment is rubbish.......very cocky as Dracs said........why don't you post some data and facts to back up your claims.....why must everyone else do all the dirty work for you.....then you refer to "the effect of the peloton".....you must be seriously delusional if you think elite level athletes can go at time trial based heart rate levels day in and day out.....you and Discovery both it seems to be.......as for it becoming more difficult to achieve a high heart rate percentage as one gets fitter.....the web is your friend......you might learn something.......unless of course you perceive yourself as a very fit elite athlete and you happen to operate at a very high percentage even during recovery rides......then it's actually just a case of you being offended by my actual observation........

Chris Froome on his TDF winning effort smashed out at 145bpm average, discovery would have only give him 300 points on his winning effort as his average was below 80%. So the fitter you get, the harder it is to reach the 80% consistently. 

The fittest cyclist in the world dont do it but discovery expects weekend warriors to do it, good job discovery, good job

post-11806-0-90071700-1461789995_thumb.jpg

For those who don't have a Discovery supported device, Polar Beat seems about the best bet. Discovery recognise the workouts on it and if you have a Bluetooth heart rate belt (not necessarily Polar), it will record that and you will get the relevant points. Got 3000 points for my workout yesterday. Someone mentioned that they were running more than one heart rate tracking app at the same time, tried that and Beat did not drop the heart rate connection.

Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

For those who don't have a Discovery supported device, Polar Beat seems about the best bet. Discovery recognise the workouts on it and if you have a Bluetooth heart rate belt (not necessarily Polar), it will record that and you will get the relevant points. Got 3000 points for my workout yesterday. Someone mentioned that they were running more than one heart rate tracking app at the same time, tried that and Beat did not drop the heart rate connection.

Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

How did you manage to average over 80% MHR for 210+ min?  I can maybe do it for 60min, but to average that for anything over 90min is almost impossible for me, even at race pace. :-(

Edited by WesleyR

Chris Froome on his TDF winning effort smashed out at 145bpm average, discovery would have only give him 300 points on his winning effort as his average was below 80%. So the fitter you get, the harder it is to reach the 80% consistently.

The fittest cyclist in the world dont do it but discovery expects weekend warriors to do it, good job discovery, good job

Good Job.jpg

Just for giggles, I went all out up the back of Magic Forest the other day for about a 9 minute uphill. My peak rate was 163 or close to 90 %. Within 2 mins of going over the crest it was back at 130, even though I was still pushing the single track. If I had to train like that for a few hours I would be broken.

From my good old days of 4-6 hours a day on heart rate training, my max was 180 and within 30s of interval rest it was back down to under 140, which would have been 70%. It's not pushing it to max as u get fitter, it's how quickly it drops if you rest even slightly while moving.

So, ya, the methodology fails as far as I can tell.

How did you manage to average over 80% MHR for 210+ min? I can maybe do it for 60min, but to average that for anything over 90min is almost impossible for me, even at race pace. :-(

I can also do it with relative ease.

I can also do it with relative ease.

Ah, but for how long with all your power workouts? Soon you will be fit enough to battle, too

Ah, but for how long with all your power workouts? Soon you will be fit enough to battle, too

Well, not sure. Even with "pacing myself" I can hit 80% with ease.

Btw. This week is a bust. Haven't had a single session yet due to the squash thing. Tonight will be my first since last Friday

Well, not sure. Even with "pacing myself" I can hit 80% with ease.

Btw. This week is a bust. Haven't had a single session yet due to the squash thing. Tonight will be my first since last Friday

From bitter experience, it takes two weeks to lose any material fitness, and is actually massively beneficial to do every 3 months or so. I just can't force myself to, and have itchy feelings after a day or two... #exerciseaddictionisalittlerash

From bitter experience, it takes two weeks to lose any material fitness, and is actually massively beneficial to do every 3 months or so. I just can't force myself to, and have itchy feelings after a day or two... #exerciseaddictionisalittlerash

Yip

I turn green and edgy like Hulk after 3 days if I don't roll my bike

Yip

I turn green and edgy like Hulk after 3 days if I don't roll my bike

If I turned into Peter Sagan I'd be thrilled...