Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My activities haven't uploaded either... Oh, wait! I haven't done anything since last week Saturday - the MalutiDouble90.

Edit: this evening's workout uploaded within minutes of the upload to GC. No problems on my side.

Edited by geraldm24

If tomorrow Discovery says to all their apple watch customers that they no longer have to pay for it, do you think there will still be as much moaning?

If they really wanted to do the right thing for their clients and save cash, and eliminate cheating, they would give a HR monitor to every member (not necessarily an Apple watch) , eliminate the 100pt swipe for gym access, and correct the HR scale to 60% to 70% for 30mins for 100pts.

Maybe there are pitfalls in there, but it would accomplish a lot of the goals of the current system, and eliminate the problems. And be much better for the vast majority of couch potatoes.

The more I talk with people who are not sports mad, the more I understand how being lazy or silly is not the only issue here.

If they really wanted to do the right thing for their clients and save cash, and eliminate cheating, they would give a HR monitor to every member (not necessarily an Apple watch) , eliminate the 100pt swipe for gym access, and correct the HR scale to 60% to 70% for 30mins for 100pts.

Maybe there are pitfalls in there, but it would accomplish a lot of the goals of the current system, and eliminate the problems. And be much better for the vast majority of couch potatoes.

The more I talk with people who are not sports mad, the more I understand how being lazy or silly is not the only issue here.

You know, you're right on the money, there. Increase it to 300 points for >60 min, and cap it there. Increase the max points for "moderate" to 600 for 60 plus minutes, and then leave the rest in place.  

I still reckon it won't stop the moaning if they told the apple watch buyers that they no longer had to pay fo rit, though. 

If tomorrow Discovery says to all their apple watch customers that they no longer have to pay for it, do you think there will still be as much moaning?

Yeah I would moan like heck that I didnt get one before they announced that!

Interesting thing I noticed was that my cycleops trainer uploads to mapmyfitness(which vitality supports) but I dont get any points for workouts despite having HR, speed, power and cadence values associated. Bit sad that because I prefer using my trainer than going spinning at the gym.

You know, you're right on the money, there. Increase it to 300 points for >60 min, and cap it there. Increase the max points for "moderate" to 600 for 60 plus minutes, and then leave the rest in place.

I still reckon it won't stop the moaning if they told the apple watch buyers that they no longer had to pay fo rit, though.

The Apple watch moaners have only really been affected by the weird new scale implementation. And I also think a lot of the moaning would have been avoided by decent communication of the new point increments. If they said we'd all stay at 600 (or at least the couch potatoes would) they would adapt. Change is easy if it seems manageable - they just totally fluffed the implementation. (And if they are dictating training programmes to pros, as stupid as a smoothie to a pro may seem, they are again fluffing it.)

Double le postage Edited by Thor Buttox

Yes......because it's more about ethics and a proper implementation of the system......all these tools who bragg about their easy peasy 80 % zones they achieve will eventually run dry and burn out.....it's about implementing the proper heart rate zones as accepted by many studies from institutes......universities and sports and heart institutes.....it's about them encouraging users outside of the Apple watch to get heart rate based units and the allocating them points for steps and telling them they have no heart rate data....it's stuff all to do with smoothies and watches but more to do with integrity and ethics......their bull$haait comment "we care about your health" is a total lie.....they care about their turnover.....they are there to limit risk....we are only another insurable item for them.....and a damn high risk item for that matter.....

Nathrix posted a very informative post a good few pages back suggesting how points can be allocated when the real world and medically accepted zones are implemented and the points then increase on the time you spend within that activity......

Interesting thing I noticed was that my cycleops trainer uploads to mapmyfitness(which vitality supports) but I dont get any points for workouts despite having HR, speed, power and cadence values associated. Bit sad that because I prefer using my trainer than going spinning at the gym.

MapMyFitness not a supported device since April 2 according to https://www.discovery.co.za/portal/individual/vitality-fitness-devices-apps

Only Polar, Garmin, Apple watch and Samsung Watch are accepted for heart rate.

Why not switch your Garmin on when on cycleops?

Assuming you have one.

As for the moaning.....please stop moaning about the guys that dope in cycling....the K@K going on at the Giro.....the below par facilities in the work place.....the government......the presidenture.....the economy....race.....( fill this with all your moans )

People praised them before the change.....now they "moan" it clearly shows that something does not sit well with them.......

..all these tools who bragg about their easy peasy 80 % zones they achieve will eventually run dry and burn out.....

At 220 less your age set as theoretical maximum I doubt 75% - 80% of people will burn out at 80% of that number. I have yet to meet a person who does not regularly exceed the age based maximum.

In my case I am lucky, my max says I'm 11 years old which means my Disco 80% number is actually 63.54%. In my case it's harder to stay under that number than get over it.

But I wonder what their experts say when I do 60 minutes or longer at 101% which is my actual 80%

At 220 less your age set as theoretical maximum I doubt 75% - 80% of people will burn out at 80% of that number. I have yet to meet a person who does not regularly exceed the age based maximum.

In my case I am lucky, my max says I'm 11 years old which means my Disco 80% number is actually 63.54%. In my case it's harder to stay under that number than get over it.

But I wonder what their experts say when I do 60 minutes or longer at 101% which is my actual 80%

You had the same argument when you suggested how stupid I was the last time.....reaching max no problem.....keeping it there for an extended period......danger point.......

Edited by BarHugger

Be more specific about danger point: Actual 80% or theoretical?

60 minutes at actual 80% is dangerous? I think we've all had races where our actual has been way up for the duration. And none of us is dead yet. Funny thing about the heart is it will stop you before it's dangerous.