Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

This just game me a great idea! Use polar beat app on my phone (linked to Polar Flow) and my watch (old one linked to Polar personal trainer) at the same time, only starting Beat for the higher intensity part of my workout. Link both Flow and PPT to Discovery and voila! :devil:

Thanks

I would suggest you create a separate polar personal trainer account for your watch, which is not linked to Discovery, and keep your current profile as is for Polar Beat.

From my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your argument (or rather, conspiracy theory) does not fly. Here are but a few reasons why - I am sure an industry expert can come up with a lot more.

1. Workout data in no way impacts upon medical aid claims, and neither does it affect life cover. Myles, correct me if I am wrong in this, but there is no suggestion anywhere in any of the Health or Life products which would entitle Discovery to lawfully repudiate a claim due to a sedentary life style;

2. Discovery make their money by insuring people. To suggest that they have an interest in rendering us all uninsurable really does not make any sense;

3. Whether I workout at 60, 70 or 80% of my max hr has got nothing to do with what cover I do or do not qualify for. If they are getting my Vitality data, I am already a Health or Life client anyway.

4. Anyway, medical aids cannot cherry pick their members. After waiting a 3 month joining period, they are obliged to cover you.

5. There is no basis to suggest that Discovery are abusing data to use it as a source for repudiating claims. I would be extremely careful about making such an allegation on a public forum.

Entirely correct. Life assurance insures you based on your health AT APPLICATION, not at claim stage. End of story. 

The ONLY time a claim would be repudiated would be if you lied on your application, or did not disclose something material to the process of underwriting. 

Then, you also need to tell them when you change your occupation as you may no longer qualify for the occupationally-based disability cover. 

Sorry, hugger, but what you asserted above is pure BS. 

Short term insurance, however, covers you for a loss at that particular time. 2 totally different ways of going about insurance. 

To limit pay outs.....they don't want to pay out....bottom line about bottom line.....easier for them to turn around and say "we would have paid or covered that in full, but you are too ill for that cover now"......"we will cover you but only within certain parameters....the same parameters you are totally unaware of because nobody ever reads the small print".....including your wonderful broker.......

absolute and utter BS. That is not how life assurance works. You are insured based on your health at application stage. Not at claim stage. That's WHY you take out the assurance. For the possibility of contracting something / suffering from something in the future. 

1. Workout data in no way impacts upon medical aid claims, and neither does it affect life cover. Myles, correct me if I am wrong in this, but there is no suggestion anywhere in any of the Health or Life products which would entitle Discovery to lawfully repudiate a claim due to a sedentary life style;

On this belter - if this was the case, the competitors would be ALL over it. It would form the centre of their competitive "marketing" and we would have had numerous repudiations. Just think about it, BH - you have a heart attack. Sorry, you had a heart attack, the very cover you took out against this sort of event, we're no longer covering you because you had a heart attack. 

Utter rubbish. And very different to You've had a heart attack, we would have covered you but according to your cardiologist you had a previous heart attack before you took out this cover. That means material non-disclosure, and we would never have offered you severe illness cover if you'd have told us that. At best we would have excluded all cardiac events from your cover... 

Great. My friend bought an H7 HR strap and did a workout today. No points as yet. Went well above the HR average required.

Yes the Polar Beat app works. It allows no manual data input so it's fine. As far as I'm aware it can pair with any smart Bluetooth monitor. I'm 100% sure on the two I mentioned.

Has he set up a Polar account and linked it to Discovery? Although point allocation in general seems to be delayed again.

Great. My friend bought an H7 HR strap and did a workout today. No points as yet. Went well above the HR average required.

With the trouble this week, I'd give it a couple days. If nothing has come through by Monday, then query.

Yes he did all of that. It shows the connection on the app. Poor bugger rode his ass off for the 300 points. I hope he gets it.

Has he set up a Polar account and linked it to Discovery? Although point allocation in general seems to be delayed again.

Thanx. That's what I figured. Sometimes my Apple Watch data also takes a bit of time to sync.

With the trouble this week, I'd give it a couple days. If nothing has come through by Monday, then query.

New high of 1100 points as of today.... feel like am a character on the monopoly board and going stright to jail ;)... will be almost a straight line rise to 1200 by next week since the points reboot !!

900 now for me.

What peeves me is that I did 3 x 300 point workouts this week, but only one pulled through from GC. -so I did not meet my 800 target for the week, yet they still moved the goalposts up by 100 points.

If the target keeps going up, and the glitches continue to naai me, I really will lose interest VAR. carbon has a point about refusing to send screen shots. I did send, and it helped fokol. I can't be expected to work, hub, ride idt, do family commitments, AND have time to send screen shots every time i get off the bike. Something's gotta give.