Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Shaper posted an interesting article on running at or below aerobic threshold while training for peak gains - a link to the post:
https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/153222-cyclists-with-a-running-problem/?p=3478916

What I'm wondering, is without training daily, which I suppose could work with zone 2 training etc, but how do you reach 900/1200 weekly vitality points when most exercises will be awarding 100 points, perhaps 200 for longer exercises if even. Only solution I can think of is to still squeeze in some 80% hr exercises for both points and... conditioning, I guess.

What do you all think? Starting to sound to me like Vitality just want people to exercise hard and save them some money in sickness and what else, not encourage people to be smart athletes?
I personally only joined vitality for the flights and gear discounts really - never thought for a second that they'd know what performance training really entails.

Edited by Dirkitech

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shaper posted an interesting article on running at or below aerobic threshold while training for peak gains - a link to the post:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/153222-cyclists-with-a-running-problem/?p=3478916

What I'm wondering, is without training daily, which I suppose could work with zone 2 training etc, but how do you reach 900/1200 weekly vitality points when most exercises will be awarding 100 points, perhaps 200 for longer exercises if even. Only solution I can think of is to still squeeze in some 80% hr exercises for both points and... conditioning, I guess.

What do you all think? Starting to sound to me like Vitality just want people to exercise hard and save them some money in sickness and what else, not encourage people to be smart athletes?

I personally only joined vitality for the flights and gear discounts really - never thought for a second that they'd know what performance training really entails.

It's exactly that, and the result in many cases is the inverse, instead of them having to pay for heart/weight related diseases, they need to pay for joint and muscle operations and doctors visits when people injure themselves through incorrect exercise.

They expressly want you training harder, not smarter.

I suppose the costing benefit to them is probably every policy would cover things related to heart disease whereas only some would fully cover injury related issues.

1x long weekend ride, 2x midweek HIIT sessions and you're done for 1200 points. add a spinny-spin day and a cross train session and you're golden. up the duration and add another session and you're doing fine. then you're into life-balance conundrums... 

Whilst the article I posted is specific to running and building aerobic capacity i.e endurance.

Also look at the 80/20 rule with regard to training. Lots written about it  i.e 80% of training at endurance and 20% at HIIT / speed work or similar.

Follow a regime of such, you will have endurance, get stronger, faster and easily reach vitality points.

Thank you all for the insight, Shaper, lechatnoir, SeaBee, Reme :)

Here an article specific to running regarding 80/20 rule, but is also applied to cycling and triathletes (also added a link)

https://www.runnersworld.com/advanced/a20828929/train-at-the-right-intensity-ratio/

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/using-the-80-20-rule-to-balance-triathlon-training-intensity/

Generally what happens is many end up training in the middle ground and plateau.  i.e, they train too hard when they should be going easy and slow and then train to easy when they should be going hard.

anyone else having problems. My swim from Friday morning synchronized but they only gave me the 100 speed points instead of the 300 for more than 30 minutes at 70%

and my swim from yesterday hasn't pulled through yet either

And fixed now apparently, after showing as not calculated for a bit. I think they may have some problems over the weekend and are fixing it now. So you may want to check again later today and get in touch if not fixed by then.

PS. I did not do anything, they sorted it out by themselves.

It doesn't seem to be 100% sorted.

My 2 1/2 hour ride on Saturday was rewarded with 100 points for 10 000 steps.

Sunday and today's ride seemed to have been pulled through, so its an intermittent problem.

We have started trying to bank points on weekends. Park Run on Saturday and a minimum 1hr ride on Sunday at 70%+ nets you 600 points. For us mere mortals all that is needed for the week is three gym visits or a morning run and a few big step days and you are sorted.

Have noticed that points take a while to come through tough especially if you are syncing more than one activity.

when I changed to endurance athlete on vitality my sunday rides went from 300 points to 600 points. If I'm able to commute on a saturday I then get 300 points.

But my weekly goal on vitality is still 1100 points. On busy days at work I can get over 10 000 steps and that helps, but mostly I'm struggling to get the points.

Anyone else also not get drive reward this week ?

Got both my reward plays (and 100 points from both plays).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone else also not get drive reward this week ?

Just spoke to someone in the call center. There was an issue uploading their data for this week. If you achieved your goal and didn't get the reward, it will come through next Wednesday.

Istore was available to download last week already. But they have to activate it from discovery side to use the app.

Think they doing a limited activation numbers, not to overload the system I guess?