Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Actually quite scary how much we rely on our devices nowadays...

MTN were offline today when I went in to do the paperwork. Gave me more time to think. Recycling my S7 on a pay as you go contract is starting to look more and more appealing.....

I went prepaid like 3 years ago and its just soo much simpler, costs way less, I am almost always on WiFi, have to try and use the 1GB of data I buy and R50 airtime can last me more than 4 months.

10 years ago contracts made more sense, you got value for your money, these days u just get a dick up your arse as they will increase the contract prices no problem, but while prepaid costs come down then its "no, you signed a contract, we can't change it".

Hell, I would even imagine that buying a phone on your cc budget, even with the interest would actually work out cheaper in the end, as I imagine for many they need to gain value form what they pay for, so on a contract you make more effort to use what you have as to not loose it, which is quite logical. While on prepaid, you have no concerns of allocated airtime expiring or loosing your minutes. You use your phone more out of genuine need instead of "use it or loose it".

He'll, when I left Vodacom I had around R1500 in airtime left on my top up package, took me almost 20 months to use all of it.

18th Feb I bought R50 airtime, I have R48.93 left, in almost 3 weeks I used R1.07. [emoji23]

Scott Spark 930 (2018)

MTB Vids: ltstyt.be/@remelehane

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vitality/Garmin connect related question...

The time has come to upgrade my cell phone contract. I recently bought a Garmin wearable device and the Garmin Connect syncing through my phone has revolutionized my life (I used to have to connect my old device via cable to my PC and sync that way). Now you get home from a run/cycle/gym and put the device down next to your phone, magic happens and you get your points.

I currently use a Samsung S7 and although it is 2 years old. there are no issues. BUT everybody wants a new device to play with...

I don't really want to dump a whole lot of money into a contract every month just to have the latest Samsung so I was looking at the Huawei devices. However, I read somewhere that there seems to be syncing issue with the Garmin devices and the Huawei devices.

Is anybody using a Huawei P20 Lite with a Garmin wearable device?

Edit: or any Huawei device for that matter

I had a P8lite. Initially could connect to the watch for activities. However, something happened with the Bluetooth. Became very unreliable with any Bluetooth device. Couldn't get it to connect with my Garmin Forerunner 25, or any car Bluetooth radio.

Went to Huawei, reset all factory settings. Couldn't get it done.

Emailed Garmin as well. They said that there has been issues with the Bluetooth certificate of Huawei devices.

I am currently using the Nokia 8 for over 1 year now with no issues. I would personally recommend getting a Nokia. Built very strong (check Jerryrigeverything on YouTube). And stock android, most on Android One program, so very fast software updates. The 6.1 is a very good device for similar money to the p20 lite.

Edit: you can get the 8 (2017 flagship device - same processor as Samsung S8) for R 4,100 on Takealot. 2 years old yes, but already on Android 9, but may not get Android 10.

Edited by JCA12

Wow, looks like people have serious connection issues.

I have a Fenix 3 and LG G6. I literally finish my cycle, and put the bluetooth on, on the watch. In the time it takes me to load my bike on the rack the Strava activity has been loaded. Next morning Vitality has captured this as my Strava is linked to Garmin connect.

With regards to contract vs prepaid, I feel if it is a personal phone then yes, prepaid is great. But for use as a daily business phone, a contract adds convenience. I think in this context, as a business phone, if you select the correct contract then you will not see a massive price increase.

I have a Fenix 3 and LG G6. I literally finish my cycle, and put the bluetooth on, on the watch. In the time it takes me to load my bike on the rack the Strava activity has been loaded. Next morning Vitality has captured this as my Strava is linked to Garmin connect.

I'm pretty sure it works the other way round - Fenix3 uploads to Garmin Connect, which then auto-uploads to Discovery and Strava

With regards to contract vs prepaid, I feel if it is a personal phone then yes, prepaid is great. But for use as a daily business phone, a contract adds convenience. I think in this context, as a business phone, if you select the correct contract then you will not see a massive price increase.

The bluetooth on my phone is always on (Car kit, portable speaker etc so it becomes a pain switching on and connecting all the time). Got home from gym this morning, took my watch off and left it next to my phone while I had a shower. By the time I got out, my watch had synced with Garmin Connect and Vitality had awarded the points (Samsung S7).

I think I am going to port cross to Pay as you Go (personal phone) and keep the S7 (I agree with the business phone though)

Is there still a way to activate this? Does it need to be done every year? I'm sure I activated it last year, but don't think I've received any bonus miles.

If you got it last year it should have stayed active but for other people it is too late, this year is the last time it will happen.

So I realized last night for the first time, that there is a 1000 points per annum cap on step point. So no longer recieving my 50 points for the 5000-9999 steps I do per day.

Is this correct?

Thought it was too easy, should have read the fine print it seems......

So I realized last night for the first time, that there is a 1000 points per annum cap on step point. So no longer recieving my 50 points for the 5000-9999 steps I do per day.

Is this correct?

you should still receive it on you Activity rewards app.

Is this correct?

It appears like I'm still getting towards my points cap, in spite of being well over 1000 from steps. I got 50 points for last night's 5000 steps and I checked to confirm it is at 1600 already.

Edited by Dirkitech

Then I am stumped guys:

post-35569-0-46427300-1552028838_thumb.png

post-35569-0-83892800-1552028848_thumb.png

I was sick last week but I know I made the steps, and when I don't it has a different message completely. First time these messages have appeared.

Then I am stumped guys:

I was sick last week but I know I made the steps, and when I don't it has a different message completely. First time these messages have appeared.

Hmm, I'm also confused.

Every single steps activity has an active rewards symbol adjacent to the number, but nowhere does is say the limit thing like yours is.

I'm going to go ahead and say ignore what I said, even though it seems to be counting towards my overall still, on paper it shouldn't be and may change =\

Then I am stumped guys:

Heh, seems I also got snuffed by this one. From their points table:

*1000 fitness points threshold. Earn 50 Vitality points for tracking between 5 000 and 9 999 steps in a day or 100 points for a 30+ minute workout where you are able to maintain 60 – 69%

of your maximum age-related heart rate. These activities recognise that important first step for many of our members who are just starting out. For this reason, these points will contribute
to your weekly Vitality Active Rewards goal, but will be subject to a cap of 1 000 points per year towards your Vitality Status.

**2019 Update: You can earn up to 1 200 Vitality points per month towards your Vitality Status and Vitality Active Rewards goal by tracking 10 000+ steps. After the cap is reached in a
month, all 10 000+ step activity will continue to count towards Vitality Active Rewards goal.

So there is an annual 1000 point cap on 5000-9999 steps, and a monthly 1200 point cap on 10000+ steps.

Heh, seems I also got snuffed by this one. From their points table:

So there is an annual 1000 point cap on 5000-9999 steps, and a monthly 1200 point cap on 10000+ steps.

So basically I must just go and jog around the neighbourhood till I reach 10000 steps...........

So basically I must just go and jog around the neighbourhood till I reach 10000 steps...........

Record your heart rate while you jog, you'll more than likely get more points for the heart rate than the steps.....

Record your heart rate while you jog, you'll more than likely get more points for the heart rate than the steps.....

You just have to make sure to put in some effort. There is also a 1000 point annual limit on activities with a 60-69% heart rate.