Gauteng Road & TT Champs 2016

Ryinc

just thinking aloud here .... i cant understand why SA Champs are held so early in the year. its like asking someone to write an exam before attending lectures. another of my gripes is why the csa road commission insist that provincial champs take place before SA's when prov results has no bearing on who takes part in SA's. ideally the provincial road season (if there is one in the province) should culminate in the provincial champs - then the province can actually structure a road season that allows cyclists to plan their season to peak for prov champs and then SA's. if this is later in the year - like sept/oct would it really matter - then the SA champ can be sent to Worlds (just thinking aloud).  better still the CSA would be able to select riders who are racing as opposed to training for worlds.

Here's the official reason:

Dates of the National Championships

UCI Rule # 1.2.029

National road championships shall be run during the last week of the month of June. If this is not the case, no UCI points may be awarded. All results must be received by UCI by email or fax no later than two days after the last day of the event. No result received after that time shall be taken into consideration for the UCI classification. 

The national cyclo-cross championships shall be run on the date set by the Management Committee.

National mountain bike championships of cross-country Olympic (XCO) shall be run on the 29th weekend of the year.

National BMX championships shall be run on the first weekend of July.

National trials championships shall be run on the last weekend of June. However, it is possible to run them together with the national mountain bike championships, on the 29th weekend of the year.

National indoor cycling championships should take place 4 weeks before the world championships.

The UCI may grant dispensations for the southern hemisphere or in cases of force majeure.

Concerning the calculation of the UCI rankings, national championships run before or after the mandatory date shall be considered as being run on the mandatory date.

(text modified on 1.01.04; 1.01.05; 1.09.05; 1.01.06; 1.01.08; 1.07.10; 1.07.12; 1.07.13; 1.01.16).

Edited by geraldm24

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aussie have their on the second weekend of the year, and SA have chosen the second week of February. Why? I have no idea - could be the World Tour calendar that is easier to host early in the year.

The Gauteng Champs surely not for professionals.

Maybe at SA champs levels it can be a bit more professional.

Did the Century Electric race on Saturday, and that is more or less what you need.

Traffic officials, a commisiar (although he did not say anything about people on the right hand side of the road) and officials to decide the winner.

The biggest issue I think was :

1. Not communicated to cyclist before the time to train and plan for event.

2. Not planned to get traffic officials.

3. Not requested clearance to use road.(Can not get if traffic officials not available)

No DQ for crossing the line??? Not going to go down well with the rest of the VAs that go DQd with me at race4victory.

Not sure I entirely agree with this. Was there as well and ja to be honest things did run fairly smoothly and maybe better organised than other provincial events (this was my first) but compared to MTB events (done a few of those) was really surprised at how low key it was and the apparent lack of road safety, well safety in general - just glad I never came off and had to be rushed to hospital by my buddies cause I never saw an ambulance or a medic there, never mind a first aid kit!

I agree, there are defo some areas our smooth legged brethren need to brush up on, that we that have migrated from rock hopping take for granted......ambulances being one of them. But on a positive note, we had a sanctioned event witch seems to be growing year on year, and our president did drive in front of us slow pokes at the back to make us a bit more visible. As for coming off your bike, I would have picked you up and placed you in front of the coffee and provide you with an intravenous feed ;-)

Not sure I entirely agree with this. Was there as well and ja to be honest things did run fairly smoothly and maybe better organised than other provincial events (this was my first) but compared to MTB events (done a few of those) was really surprised at how low key it was and the apparent lack of road safety, well safety in general - just glad I never came off and had to be rushed to hospital by my buddies cause I never saw an ambulance or a medic there, never mind a first aid kit!

if it is a CSA sanctioned event there must be an ambulance present. if you have any concerns with road safety after the event then submit a report thru your club/province etc to the CSA. and then insist on an answer to your concerns.  

Relax boys......It is 2 months away!  :huh:

It is almost ALWAYS on the 15/16/17th of January.  Al provinces try to be on the same weekend date.  Makes is better for lining up with SA champs. 

They rotate.  One year Jhb, next Pta, Jhb, Pta.

This year will be Pta.

GNC awards are on Friday.  I'll try and find out from the people there.  They are usually very helpful.

Hehe Spinnekop...had a Laugh reading this now after what happened the last 2 weeks.

Relax boys......... :eek:

Hehe Spinnekop...had a Laugh reading this now after what happened the last 2 weeks.

Relax boys......... :eek:

Bahhahahaha.

Ja nogal.

They never disappoint.  ;)

I just got an email with the new date and entry details. Like they said before 12-13 March. Lets hope they don't stuff it up again.

Can someone please tell me what the rules are for TT bikes regarding saddle position and bar reach? I'm told those are the 2 critical ones ..... is it that simple?

Can someone please tell me what the rules are for TT bikes regarding saddle position and bar reach? I'm told those are the 2 critical ones ..... is it that simple?

Very simple. 

But it all depends on the kokaai jig they use.

I measured mine with little building lazers.  Waterpas the works.  The SA's omie just told me.....Sorry seun.....too long.....(I get that form tannies but never from ooms.  :ph34r: )

So I had to shorten.

Long story short.

Tip of seat should be 5cm behind the centre of the BB.  Not less.

Tip of the TT bars (and that include the shifters - thus tip of shifters really) to the centre of the BB should be not more than 75cm.

Aerobars and frame should comply to a 3:1 ratio.  But they seldom check that. 

That is about it.  :thumbup:

Very simple. 

I measured mine with little building lazers.  Waterpas the works.  The SA's omie just told me.....Sorry seun.....too long.....(I get that form tannies but never from ooms.  :ph34r: )

So I had to shorten.

Long story short.

Tip of the TT bars (and that include the shifters - thus tip of shifters really) to the centre of the BB should be not more than 75cm.

Dankie! Will check it out tonight

Very simple. 

So I had to shorten.

Long story short.

I could literally move the jig about 5 cm in each direction, there was definitely no engineering used while building that thing.