Gauteng Road & TT Champs 2016

Ryinc

I hope everyone who entered asks for a refund .

I am not donating my 250 ZAR to these incompetent officials .

I doubt I will ride the event in March .

May go ride the MTB instead ....

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope everyone who entered asks for a refund .

I am not donating my 250 ZAR to these incompetent officials .

I replied to the email stating that the event had been cancelled, they responded that my request for a refund had been flagged accordingly. I'm waiting in anticipation. ...

All 5 cyclists who entered should get their money back, I predict that the turnout for Gauteng Champs in March will be pi$$ poor, if it will be held at all. 

All 5 cyclists who entered should get their money back, I predict that the turnout for Gauteng Champs in March will be pi$$ poor, if it will be held at all.

5?

We had 11 entered, paid up, and raring to give it a good go.

5?

We had 11 entered, paid up, and raring to give it a good go.

Us as well. We had 6 guys entered and keen to race despite the lack of organisation. And I know of quite a few more teams in my age group who had already entered pretty much full teams. In fact we will probably only have one guy not racing on the new date due to the epic.

The date in March falls in line with Epic so they are screwing themselves a bit as a lot of the racing snakes compete in all disciplines

The date in March falls in line with Epic so they are screwing themselves a bit as a lot of the racing snakes compete in all disciplines

Its right after the Tour of Good Hope, so I like the dates :)

Not that it's any consolation, but the event run by H&A Toure on the weekend in Mpumalanga, was very well organised.  Certainly makes a case, for using a professional event company for these type of events.

Not that it's any consolation, but the event run by H&A Toure on the weekend in Mpumalanga, was very well organised. Certainly makes a case, for using a professional event company for these type of events.

And that's the crux of the matter. Professional sport has moved to be a business, but why are the management and structures still done the amateur way with volunteers? It will be more expensive, but it should be managed by properly paid people doing a competent job.

Is there an actual committee working at Gauteng cycling? The whole event seemed a bit ad-hoc and sort of "oh, we need to have some provincial championships like the other provinces so why not do it next weekend?"

Not that it's any consolation, but the event run by H&A Toure on the weekend in Mpumalanga, was very well organised.  Certainly makes a case, for using a professional event company for these type of events.

Not sure I entirely agree with this. Was there as well and ja to be honest things did run fairly smoothly and maybe better organised than other provincial events (this was my first) but compared to MTB events (done a few of those) was really surprised at how low key it was and the apparent lack of road safety, well safety in general - just glad I never came off and had to be rushed to hospital by my buddies cause I never saw an ambulance or a medic there, never mind a first aid kit!

And that's the crux of the matter. Professional sport has moved to be a business, but why are the management and structures still done the amateur way with volunteers? It will be more expensive, but it should be managed by properly paid people doing a competent job.

The Gauteng Champs surely not for professionals.

Maybe at SA champs levels it can be a bit more professional.

Did the Century Electric race on Saturday, and that is more or less what you need.

Traffic officials, a commisiar (although he did not say anything about people on the right hand side of the road) and officials to decide the winner.

The biggest issue I think was :

1. Not communicated to cyclist before the time to train and plan for event.

2. Not planned to get traffic officials.

3. Not requested clearance to use road.(Can not get if traffic officials not available)

just thinking aloud here .... i cant understand why SA Champs are held so early in the year. its like asking someone to write an exam before attending lectures. another of my gripes is why the csa road commission insist that provincial champs take place before SA's when prov results has no bearing on who takes part in SA's. ideally the provincial road season (if there is one in the province) should culminate in the provincial champs - then the province can actually structure a road season that allows cyclists to plan their season to peak for prov champs and then SA's. if this is later in the year - like sept/oct would it really matter - then the SA champ can be sent to Worlds (just thinking aloud).  better still the CSA would be able to select riders who are racing as opposed to training for worlds.

Archived