My Hill Climbing Technique

Henley 1

I need (meaningful) comments on my theory please:

·       If done correctly, the stand-up position of hill climbing (very slow cadence) can be more energy-efficient than when seated and spinning at high cadence

·       Use mostly calves and triceps muscles, thus saving the quads and ham strings

·       Principle of elevating body weight against gravity (with minimal use of upper legs) then transferring this gain in potential energy into kinetic energy

·       In the standing position, when the right foot is at the bottom (6 o’clock) you push up with the right calve and simultaneously help with both arms to bounce the whole body up against gravity

·       Moments later you straighten the right knee asap

·       You recover the potential energy in the form of rotational kinetic energy with the (straight) right leg from the 2 to 6 o’clock down stroke

Any links on the Internet exploring this and other optimal advanced techniques for hill climbing?

Thanks

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I'm sorry but that's just not going to work. It is well know that standing is less efficient than sitting and climbing.

The calves and triceps are very small muscles compared to the glutes and and quads. So in effect you are using smaller muscles to save bigger stronger muscles.

There is no such thing as free energy, so which ever muscles you use, you will be basically using the same motion as climbing stairs when you are standing and climbing. Do you climb stairs using your quads, or do you bounce up by using your calves? 

In general, standing is used to relax muscle groups, and change position to stop from getting stiff, but it is not more efficient. You can also get a higher max power output standing, but that utilises as many muscles as possible.

I find when I stand, I can drop body weight on the pedals , turning them from one side to another , without using leg muscles and just body weight to turn the pedals if that makes sense , so I get an idea of what you are saying. However, I think this can make a big impact on your overall bodies energy use and could make you quite bugged. I haven't decided yet, ig I think this helps

Nothing wrong if you wants to mimic Marco Pantani, but the most effective way to become a better climber is to ride more hills (or doing crazy IDT sessions)

As with a lot of other things, personal preference really trumps science. Look at Froomedawg and look at Contador. 2 very different techniques but both get the job done because that's how they train and how they've become effective climbers. 

I need (meaningful) comments on my theory please:

·       If done correctly, the stand-up position of hill climbing (very slow cadence) can be more energy-efficient than when seated and spinning at high cadence

·       Use mostly calves and triceps muscles, thus saving the quads and ham strings

·       Principle of elevating body weight against gravity (with minimal use of upper legs) then transferring this gain in potential energy into kinetic energy

·       In the standing position, when the right foot is at the bottom (6 o’clock) you push up with the right calve and simultaneously help with both arms to bounce the whole body up against gravity

·       Moments later you straighten the right knee asap

·       You recover the potential energy in the form of rotational kinetic energy with the (straight) right leg from the 2 to 6 o’clock down stroke

Any links on the Internet exploring this and other optimal advanced techniques for hill climbing?

Thanks

• Look at what the pros do. Are they standing? When are they standing? 
  • I don't believe these muscles work very much during ascending. The upper body should be relaxed, so the arms shouldn't be doing work. 
  • What you described with the energies is a total wastage. The require energy to LIFT your body (quads). Then you want to use the potential energy from your body mass to force it into the pedals, but then over and over again? Doesn't that sound exhausting? 
  • Sounds like a bunny hop to me  :blink:
  • Ones knee is never dead straight.

In conclusion - look at the pros. Their upper bodies do not bob and weave like a boxer. They are using the superior power from their quads and hammies to generate wattage beyond our wildest imagination. If you want an efficient pedaling technique up the hill, go and tackle some hills, or assess what your mates do. 

Standing is far less efficient as you have to carry your weight on your legs.

Low cadence strains the muscles.

High cadence means less force - high cadence apparently helps to get rid of the lactic acid.

Think of high performance cars - small pistons high revs.

You can't choose which muscles to use or not to use when standing.

The way I approach hills - stay seated for as long as you can and change gears sooner rather than later.

Stand to make a break or to keep on someones tail but stand for as short as possible.

Brickleberry seems to understand what I describes. 

I will experiment on an IDT, keeping watts constant and comparing heart rate.

Disappointed about the lack of technical understanding of some readers, and disappointed that the answer had not clearly been determined in lab conditions somewhere on planet Earth  :-(

Thanx anyway

Disappointed about the lack of technical understanding of some readers, and disappointed that the answer had not clearly been determined in lab conditions somewhere on planet Earth  :-(

Thanx anyway

Too much disappointment

Go ride those hills again and again and you'll find your sweet spot

Thanx anyway

My opinion based on personal experience and some coaching advice i received from an internationally "renowned" coach / sport Doctor who advised to limit standing as much as possible.... wwwdot53x12dotcom 

Problems with standing and pedalling...imo

Recruits more muscles compared to sitting and pedalling.

Pedalling with a very slow cadence fatigues muscles quicker

In defence of standing, Senor Contador seems to like standing a lot while climbing. Whether he is using the technique you suggest i don't know.

Let us know what your IDT selt test results are 

Disappointed about the lack of technical understanding of some readers, and disappointed that the answer had not clearly been determined in lab conditions somewhere on planet Earth :-(

Thanx anyway

Don't let the thing that's suppose to give you freedom, put you in bondage. Paraplegics would exchange alot in their lifetime, to have the privilege of riding, for just one day.

Standing has its place, whether that is to relieve bloodflow or just give some muscles a break. Its not something you should do for an entire climb though.

Im more of a drop a couple of gears and push something huge while standing kind of guy but I only do that for short climbs, it creates too much fatigue later in a longer ride to be feasible.

I prefer mixing it in and out of the saddle. I find it easier to go with any attacks if I'm in the right gear and standing vs sitting and spinning.

Whatever works best, or whatever you end up training on will yield your results.

I'm quite sure there has been extensive scientific and physiological testing done in this subject.

Think back to an interview of Chris Froome on his "ugly" riding style - he specially stated that he avoids standing as they have done much testing as far as muscles groups used, fatigue, and even aerodynamics. He mentioned having to put in a lot of training hours on the climbs sitting instead of standing. Watching him race now, he will only stand on the very rarest of occasions, and usually when trying to cover an attack and a very quick acceleration is required.

Some cyclists will ignore this as they may have been climbing out of the saddle for most of their careers. Contador included. And they may not feel it necessary to change, or be unwilling.

I say, do whatever works for you. I'm not looking for anything close to a marginal gain. I stand when I need to give my muscles, arms, hands, and mind a quick rest. It helps when my cadence is slowly dropping to unacceptable levels. It helps when I'm trying to stick to a wheel that is pulling away. And it really feels great on those teensy bumps that happen and you charge up that incline without changing gear or cadence. Just stand and motor.

Above all. Just ride your damn bike however you want!

Archived