Handlebar width 29er

JohanC

go as wide as you can, and work backwards from there.

I went real wide (not sure, but it's rapide bars, completely uncut. with a shorter stem and all it changed is how much more control I have going down the hill.. 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

100mm stem is very long! Belongs only on a road bike.

On marathon XC bike, a 50mm may be too short, especially as you are coming from 100mm. My advice would be to get a 70mm stem, and wide bars - minimum 780mm. Do a couple rides, then cut 10mm of each side if it's too wide - don't be too hasty, it takes a while to get used to wider bars... rather go back to cut little bits off many times than cutting off to much at a time. Yoi can always go narrower but you cannot but the width back on.

Once you settle on a width (somewhere between 720mm and 760mm most likely for your type of riding), then play around with shorter stems if you feel the need to. My guess is you won't because coming from 100mm you will feel cramped on a short stem.

I currently ride 75mm stem and 760mm bars on my XC hardtail.... I am 1.78m.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

I currently ride a 100mm xc bike with 760mm/50mm bar and stem combo. I also started out with a 680mm wide bar and 100mm stem. I went with a 780mm bar and 50mm stem, but later cut it down to 760mm.

Going so wide from 680mm will feel strange at first so take it for at least more than five rides before deciding to change something. If you decide to go narrower just move your grips and brakes inwards until you find the best position before you decide to cut the bars. 

I am +-175cm riding a 100MM XC with 50mm stem and 760MM bar but want to go wider find myself constantly on the ends of the bar.

Bar and stem length is a personal thing its what you feel comfortable with.

I have a Giant Anthem with a 70 mm stem and 700 wide bars.

I have recently  bought a new Norco Optic with a 20mm stem and left the 800 wide bars as is................enjoying the more direct feeling of the shorter stem and the long bars are very comfortable at the moment..............

Hi

Reviving an old thread.

I'm 1.77m and ride a 29er hardtail with 100mm travel.

Currently have 680mm bars with a 100mm stem.

I'm looking to get wider bars but need some help.

Do I go 720/740 and keep the same stem or try 780 with a 50mm stem or will the 780 bars be too wide?

I feel like the shorter stem might make me too upright on the bike and that is why i was thinking 720/740 with the current stem.

Any advice?

Start with 780 and then move your grips inwards by 5mm at a time instead of cutting to 740 straight off the bat. Also, change your stem to something between 50 & 70mm at the same time. DO NOT pair the 780 with a 100mm stem. Any MTB that needs a 100mm stem to make it fit, is the wrong size for you. 

This excludes those XCO & XCM pros who are in the pursuit of ultimate lightness for climbing efficiency and have hte requisite skillset to overcome the handling downfalls of a narrow bar / long stem combo. They are outliers. 

Hi

Reviving an old thread.

I'm 1.77m and ride a 29er hardtail with 100mm travel.

Currently have 680mm bars with a 100mm stem.

I'm looking to get wider bars but need some help.

Do I go 720/740 and keep the same stem or try 780 with a 50mm stem or will the 780 bars be too wide?

I feel like the shorter stem might make me too upright on the bike and that is why i was thinking 720/740 with the current stem.

Any advice?

Would you mind posting a pic of the bike? I'm wondering why a 29er hardtail would have a 100mm stem fitted.

Does the bike feel long? Do you get shoulder or neck pain?

How far is the seat set back on the seat post?

I bought a 130mm stem from Solomons the other day, they wanted R20 for it, I just couldn't let it go  :D

P.S. I use it on the trainer  :whistling:

I'm a fairly tall chap - 190cm so I use a 740mm (I think) riser bar with a 50mm stem. It does work well for me but I've managed to successfully ride a 570mm or 600mm bar on my ss for about 2 years  :mellow:. Admittedly I felt like the slightest bump was going to knock me over, really twitchy. Just make sure that you don't end up having your arms so wide that you end up with neck and upper back pain, you'll know exactly what I mean when you do start getting that pain.  

Would you mind posting a pic of the bike? I'm wondering why a 29er hardtail would have a 100mm stem fitted.

Does the bike feel long? Do you get shoulder or neck pain?

How far is the seat set back on the seat post?

You are 100% correct. Just measured and its 90mm stem

Edited by lyslexic

Start with 780 and then move your grips inwards by 5mm at a time instead of cutting to 740 straight off the bat. Also, change your stem to something between 50 & 70mm at the same time. DO NOT pair the 780 with a 100mm stem. Any MTB that needs a 100mm stem to make it fit, is the wrong size for you. 

This excludes those XCO & XCM pros who are in the pursuit of ultimate lightness for climbing efficiency and have hte requisite skillset to overcome the handling downfalls of a narrow bar / long stem combo. They are outliers. 

Thanks, Going to start 780 with a 60mm stem. I was wrong, current stem is 90mm and not 100.