The EzelEnduro: Enduro on the next level

ewaldsadie

Don't confuse trails used for Enduro with trails used for stage races. If you use the same trail for both you will have a very watered down endurbro.

If we get more gnarly trails, more of the marathon crowd will ride the harder stuff, and that will lead to skill progression if they stick at it and not cry for a dumbed down trail because of "those life threatening rocks."

The onus us also on us to go explore more and find the gnarlier trails, and that is what Daniel is doing do well, and we need to honour him for that.

Also I won't be surprised if Meurant pulls a cracker of a trail out of his hat for an upcoming Enduro. The potential is there, and we all know that Klapmutskop has enough rocks.

Enduro (in SA) is probably in danger of becoming "too mainstream". This is a good way to rid the discipline from the posers as doing the type of trails that was on offer at Eselsfontein probably only would appeal to the top 10% of riders skills wise. Admittedly I am nowhere near that level yet, and the "easier" Enduro labelled events does hold some appeal for those who enjoy going down at speed more than 80km races with 2500m of climbing.

This type of event will probably not be a money spinner like stage races have become in SA, but it is no less important to improve the skillset of those who rate themselves in this discipline.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I see it, this is a pilot event, even if it falls with the Ezels mtb festival and organizers has all the right in the world to do as they deem safe and feel that makes sense for the event.  It is also their brainchild and it worked really well.

Sure some guys would have wanted to go and could not and that's a bummer, but the trails and race format can handle a certain amount of riders (2 of the stages you're walking up a route that guys are already flying down on) and still be pleasurable. 

A race puts out a certain amount of entries and has some or other filter for entries, whether it be by age or whatever - also up to the organizers.  In this case it was good riders on the enduro stage, that can vouch for other good riders.

The relatively low volume was rad, no congestion or backing up on trails, and the riders could handle their bikes and where they ran out of skill, could roll with the punches on terrain where loads of very strong XC and trail riders may have struggled and gotten badly hurt, that's not that technically sorted.

This was also the first of its kind, and a test mule for a new timing system, new format and the first time these trails were used for bicycles.

Headshot, basically it started out as a 'mates race' then everyone got so excited by it that they invited their mates! Don't take it personally.  We did not host it is an event anyway, there was a donation fee of R300 and ALL proceeds went towards the school farm. It was run as an invitational just to keep the field small so we could make sure everything ran smoothly without it costing an arm and a leg. Keep your ear to the ground and I'm sure you'll get to the next one.

Enduro (in SA) is probably in danger of becoming "too mainstream". This is a good way to rid the discipline from the posers as doing the type of trails that was on offer at Eselsfontein probably only would appeal to the top 10% of riders skills wise. Admittedly I am nowhere near that level yet, and the "easier" Enduro labelled events does hold some appeal for those who enjoy going down at speed more than 80km races with 2500m of climbing.

This type of event will probably not be a money spinner like stage races have become in SA, but it is no less important to improve the skillset of those who rate themselves in this discipline.

Guys, you are seriously overcomplicating it.

It's a race format.  Not a scene.  Some people race XCO because they are insane, others race XCM because they are mad fit, and other race Enduro because they are far better at descending than climbing.

It's not mainstream or underground.  If it becomes massively popular then no one will care.  It's just a race format so if you think a certain race's tracks are too mellow you don't enter.  Same reason some people ride only Nissan Trailseeker events and others only Bestmed races.

Really not a scene thing.

I tend to agree with GLuvs - its public but you only get to go if you know someone. Mmmm.  No guarantee of getting riders with skills on that basis either. In any event, if you bill an enduro as technically demanding many people stay away. Last WPGE race only had a 60 or so and was steep and fast by all accounts. Meurants last enduro at Simonsberg is the easiest course on the circuit and had over 100 entrants. People who ordinarily do these events know their limits.

Your trick knee would definitely not have enjoyed the 2 and a half hour hike a bike over loose rock. 

My knee would not have been anywhere near those rocks. Looks like a great event and kudos to Dan and everyone who organized and participated. Guess I am just a grumpy guy with a sore leg...

More of the same in a few months please.

What's public? The event was created as a test run for the concept and level - completely unsupported other than medical staff at the Festival (600m vert down at Basecamp) and completely blind for 99% of the field - not exactly the opportunity to send 50 random people up and down the mountain risking the longevity of the event even before it's properly established.

I'm hardly "in the know" with the organisers other than seeing them at events. We never ride together (other than Morzine last year), so it's absolutely not a case of "baantjies vir boeties". Some people were invited and encouraged to suggest riders' names that were left out if people reckoned they were capable of looking after themselves. I asked that three people be added and after vouching for their abilities they were added and participated.

So perhaps as Dan said, you have only your friends to blame?

Thanks for the invite Nico.......

Yassis, some okes on this thread are sooooo TOUCHY.

Surfing went the same way - was a fringe sport with okes having a lekker jol...then, as popularity rose, it became more and more cliquey, localised and f###ing hostile to outsiders (and other surfers).  Now, we have okes moering each other in the line-up over waves and damaging each other's cars in the parking lot.

The above interactions reek of the same $#it brewing in mtb - MY TRAILS, MY EVENT, INVITE ONLY, LOCALS ONLY, OUTSIDERS NOT WELCOME, BEGINNERS NOT WELCOME, ENDURO ONLY.

You seem to be the touchiest subject here, nonks

It was a TEST. As in to see if it is a viable option for the future. Only people whose skills were known to those initially invired (cos their skills were already known) cracked an invite. Wasn't a full event with prizes etc. not open to everyone.

Chill your jets.

Yassis, some okes on this thread are sooooo TOUCHY.

Surfing went the same way - was a fringe sport with okes having a lekker jol...then, as popularity rose, it became more and more cliquey, localised and f###ing hostile to outsiders (and other surfers).  Now, we have okes moering each other in the line-up over waves and damaging each other's cars in the parking lot.

The above interactions reek of the same $#it brewing in mtb - MY TRAILS, MY EVENT, INVITE ONLY, LOCALS ONLY, OUTSIDERS NOT WELCOME, BEGINNERS NOT WELCOME, ENDURO ONLY.

I think you are over thinking this one a little

"MY TRAILS" - Not explicitly, but if you have an established, long-standing relationship with a land owner and access if given on the principled belief that you are of a certain standing and judgement, well...

"MY EVENT" - By implication, any event is owner by an individual or entity. The proceeds from this particular one were invested in a manner most would agree serve betterment. 

"INVITE ONLY" - Are you given to gatecrashing weddings? 

"
LOCALS ONLY" - Ironically, there were very few indigenous Ceres riders. 

"OUTSIDERS NOT WELCOME" - Scandalously, there were a few foreign passport holders. I have no idea how they got past immigration at Cape Town International either. 

"
BEGINNERS NOT WELCOME" - Obviously, if Gary Barnard is on the limit in this terrain, most people would be in ICU already. 

"
ENDURO ONLY" - Two-stroke/Four-stroke? But yes, the enduro motorcyclists set very high standards at Ezelfontein this year. 

Too many keyboardists embittered that an event has pre-selection of sorts not based on association membership. 

Visionary event. Impeccably executed.

"

"[/size]BEGINNERS NOT WELCOME" - Obviously, if Gary Barnard is on the limit in this terrain, most people would be in ICU already. 

This bit. As well as the remoteness of the area, the facilities at the site as well as the "level of gnar" made Dan's decision for this to be an "invitational" event the correct one.