2016 Cannondale Scalpel 2 vs 2016 Momsen Vipa Team

michaelbiker

No don`t go for an Anthem. The rear suspension is good for trail riding but less good for racing. The chainstays are too long. The BB is too low.

bollocks 

A low BB is exactly what is needed for xc.

Chain stay length has F'all to do anything except maybe fads of making 29ers work.

My 27.5 anthem is 10.7kg ready to ride with a 300gr saddle. Easy 10.5 kg with a decently light and comfy saddle. All parts are sensible and chosen for longevity. A 29er Anthem with similar spec will be just about <11kg. Less than that and you're going to be paying R100K +

Scalpel is not as light without ENVE wheels and the lightest SRAM x1 groupset.

Yeah, I want something light and fast. Most of my riding is done on fire roads and jeep track. I also like to ride to my trails, so there is a bit of road thrown in too. Average distance for a ride is around 40-60km. The reason I want an FS is that downhills have never been as fun for me since I went hard tail, but on the other hand climbs have become a lot more enjoyable. So I don't want to make too many compromises going back to FS, hence the scalpel which I have heard and read is a fantastic climber too.

Sure the Scalpel is a fantastic climber and I am a big fan of the bike as well. However, the Anthem is a better climber when built to a similar weight. AS mentioned , the rear suspension just delivers more traction long after the Scalpel's has given up. Just set the sag appropriate to the type of riding you want to do. Set it at 12mm on the rear can for trail and wonderful compliance or set it at 8mm for much more lively XC feel but still enjoy more compliance from the VPP than the Scalpels Denk designed single pivot.

PS: The Anthem is far less sensitive to a bad set up than most other bikes. For similar forgiveness you would need to look at the Sancta Cruz BLur, Ibis Ripley, Pivot Mach 4, or other VPP type rear suspension systems.

Not sure how tall you are but also consider the 27.5 Anthem's.  Superb machines and very very fast

Edited by raptor-22

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure the Scalpel is a fantastic climber and I am a big fan of the bike as well. However, the Anthem is a better climber when built to a similar weight. AS mentioned , the rear suspension just delivers more traction long after the Scalpel's has given up. Just set the sag appropriate to the type of riding you want to do. Set it at 12mm on the rear can for trail and wonderful compliance or set it at 8mm for much more lively XC feel but still enjoy more compliance from the VPP than the Scalpels Denk designed single pivot.

PS: The Anthem is far less sensitive to a bad set up than most other bikes. 

Yip. Giant's Maestro, like DW-link & Niner's CVA, has a nice and wide tuning range allowing you to set the suspension to your liking or riding and not to what suits the bike and the bike only.

It's also one of the few that does not rely on the shock for pedaling platform and it happy to be ridden wide open and still be efficient.

My 27.5 anthem is 10.7kg ready to ride with a 300gr saddle. Easy 10.5 kg with a decently light and comfy saddle. All parts are sensible and chosen for longevity. A 29er Anthem with similar spec will be just about <11kg. Less than that and you're going to be paying R100K +

Scalpel is not as light without ENVE wheels and the lightest SRAM x1 groupset.

Have seen a R65k VIPA weigh in at less than a R120k Scalpel.

bollocks 

A low BB is exactly what is needed for xc.

Chain stay length has F'all to do anything except maybe fads of making 29ers work.

I rode an Anthem 29 for 3 years and then switched over to a Rocky Mountain Element. The improvement in geometry was a revelation - mainly shorter chainstays and not a too low BB. Low BB is needed for xc yes but Giant made it so low that it effected my confidence and riding style negatively - a bike should not do that. The too long chainstays is just too long - less traction on the rear which made steep downhills scary and it also negatively effected turning.

As for the DW-link type suspension, it does keep that rear wheel smooth and planted under breaking, something which is more needed for trail riding. The rear suspension on the Element (shock under down-tube) is less smooth and planted but it seems to pedal and climb better, less pedal bob.

I wouldn't look at vipa due to tire clearance a the rear an pedigree. Bikes I would look at trek, pyga stage, rocky element.

I ride a Vipa with Wide lightnings and a wide tyre with no clearance problems.

Riding a Vipa is a bit like driving a Hilux, you may not be special or unique, but you get very good service ( in my experience) and common bike means more likely to get spares etc.

Probably best to buy just the frame and spec the parts you like.

Edited by JohanMalan

No don`t go for an Anthem. The rear suspension is good for trail riding but less good for racing. The chainstays are too long. The BB is too low.

BS!!!!

Another bike that looks very nice is the new Merida 96. I would not go for Cannondale or Vipa I would go for an Element and 2nd choice maybe the Merida 96.

Have seen a R65k VIPA weigh in at less than a R120k Scalpel.

We all know that not all carbon frames are created equally.

Another bike that looks very nice is the new Merida 96. I would not go for Cannondale or Vipa I would go for an Element and 2nd choice maybe the Merida 96.

I like the look of the new Merida 96 but I sure hope they changed something with regards to frame construction. I know about 3 people who ride 1 and they all are on 2nd or 3rd replaced frame. Luckily Merida has got great backup in SA

Johan Malan do you have the new XT or AC the vipa XT has very little tire clearance on the rear if you run a 2.25 tire

Really like my vipa as it stands at the moment it weighs 10.4kg.  Don't tell the wife but to build it to this spec you looking in the R85 000 to R90 000 range. 

All what I can say it goes down hill way better than the Scott spark I had. 

post-82688-0-18481300-1449307320_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the opinions guys. This is super helpful.

To add to my confusion I decided to go check out the Specailized Epic this morning at Revolution Cycles in town. For the same price as the Scalpel 2 I can get an Epic Expert. Same parts spec but the epic comes with carbon Roval wheels. 10.6kgs. Plus they are willing to give me a demo bike for a few days.

My only hesitation with the Specialized is that the shocks and pivots have to be serviced once a year at a cost of nearly R3k otherwise the warranty on them is void. (At least this is what they told me). Otherwise, it also looks like a solid deal.

Thanks for all the opinions guys. This is super helpful.

To add to my confusion I decided to go check out the Specailized Epic this morning at Revolution Cycles in town. For the same price as the Scalpel 2 I can get an Epic Expert. Same parts spec but the epic comes with carbon Roval wheels. 10.6kgs. Plus they are willing to give me a demo bike for a few days.

My only hesitation with the Specialized is that the shocks and pivots have to be serviced once a year at a cost of nearly R3k otherwise the warranty on them is void. (At least this is what they told me). Otherwise, it also looks like a solid deal.

Have a look at the 2016 Camber range - it still has the heart of an XC race bike, but is very capable when things get rough. 

If looking @ a spez look at something without a brain shock. That's where the expensive maintenance lies.

But yes test the bike any of the bikes before you buy.

Contact this way out if you consider a rocky

Johan Malan do you have the new XT or AC the vipa XT has very little tire clearance on the rear if you run a 2.25 tire

Matchstix, I have running RR 2.25 with no troubles.

The picture you last posted was not from a good angle.

Edited by DJuice

I don't know how this is a bad angle?

Also remember that not all 2.25 casings ae the same. This is a a vittoria Barzo on crest rims.