2016 Cannondale Scalpel 2 vs 2016 Momsen Vipa Team

michaelbiker

You will see a lot of the guys running 27.5 wheels in a 26 inch frame using lower volume tyres on the rear as a higher volume tyre simply does not fit. I am running a 2.1 650b Maxxis Crossmark on the rear of my 26" Turner which leaves about 10mm clearance whereas a 2.2 Maxxis Icon only left about 3mm clearance.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Typed and posted in haste - was time to leave the office! On my way home I was thinking that I'd try to measure this some time this week. Would be interesting to see.

what were you doing in the office at that time on a saturday?

You will see a lot of the guys running 27.5 wheels in a 26 inch frame using lower volume tyres on the rear as a higher volume tyre simply does not fit. I am running a 2.1 650b Maxxis Crossmark on the rear of my 26" Turner which leaves about 10mm clearance whereas a 2.2 Maxxis Icon only left about 3mm clearance.

I have the same issue on my rocky element 650 conversion.

I have run 2.2 mount graham and 2.2 bee line but that makes the clearance Tight. no wet weather riding for me then

Edited by Matchstix

Matchstix is correct, a higher volume tyre will have a larger circumference.

no necessarily.

Is the volume achieved through a taller or wider casing?

what were you doing in the office at that time on a saturday?

I have the same issue on my rocky element 650 conversion.

I have run 2.2 mount graham and 2.2 bee line but that makes the clearance Tight. no wet weather riding for me then

giphy.gif

On Monday the gear section will reveal all!

Comparing different tread designs.

no necessarily.

Is the volume achieved through a taller or wider casing?

My money is wider tread / foot print and increased balloon effect and not growth in height. Had an eureka moment - I should be able to take a measurement tomorrow as I'm running 2.25 rear and 2.35 front on my Mercer. 

Back to the OP and the point: If you're planning to run a suitable 2.25 rear tire clearance should not put you off from buying a VIPA.

Back to the OP and the point: If you're planning to run a suitable 2.25 rear tire clearance should not put you off from buying a VIPA.

Thanks for clearing that up guys! ;)

Rocky Mountain is sounding appealing.

Anybody out there that owns/has owned a Scalpel and hated it?

I've since decided against the Specialized after reading about the servicing requirements of the brain shocks elsewhere in the forums. They sound ridiculous.

Thanks for clearing that up guys! ;)

Rocky Mountain is sounding appealing.

Anybody out there that owns/has owned a Scalpel and hated it?

I've since decided against the Specialized after reading about the servicing requirements of the brain shocks elsewhere in the forums. They sound ridiculous.

I've not hated any bike I've owned, that's why I've owned them. :)And there has been many

Loved all 4 Scalpels i had from the very first design. I've not owned the 29er because its not in my top three favourite bikes. The handling is just too edgy and the constantly creaking rear sus really irritates. But it is stiff and fairly light.

The Rocky is pretty nice, but if thats your taste you may like the Ibis Ripley even more....www.ibiscycles.com

and I see that there is now a SA retailer again in Somerset West (Williams Bike Shop)

Less traction on the rear????!!! really dude. Please try to understand the physics at play. The longer stays give you more traction on climbs. 

It sounds to me like you had the Anthem set up really badly. Likely way to soft and probably a size too big.

Those longer stays require you to sit further back over the rear wheel so generally a lay back seat post would work. You then balance that with a longer stem so you''d tend to size down or rather follow the old way of sizing your bike. The 27.5 bikes follow the more modern trend.

When I tried out a 29er Anthem I found the small to be the size for me. On the 27.5 I found the medium to require a more modern set up.

Had a RM Element 970RSL for a week on try out and it was superb. Nice comfy bike with stable handling in size medium. I did not like how it bobbed in comparison to the BMC Fourstroke, Santa Cruz Blur Giant Maestro. 

Climbing it just did not have the traction in all the gears that the VPP bikes had.

I concede on the decents it felt less racy but against the 27.5 Anthem it just didn't cut it. Too slow to turn and wanted to push into turns. Not a bad trait if all you ride is multi day stage events as a mid to rear pack rider.

The best way to ride the Anthem is fast, brake late and turn hard off the brakes. If you turn on the brakes yes it will push through corners courtesy of the longer stays. But when ridden properly and fast it is a very capable and rewarding bike to ride.

Obviously the Rocky works for you. Chapeau!

It is a great bike and one of my favourites.

When I had to chose a new bike it was on the shortlist along with the Orbea Occam, Scalpel, BMC and both Giants. 

I said traction in the rear was a problem on steep descents. Sometimes it is needed to stand when descending so saddle position has no influence. Also the long chainstay made it difficult to lift the front wheel, and because of the long chainstay Giant had to implement a steep head angle. I think Giant went 27.5 because they realized that Maestro just does not fit properly on a 29er. As for the Rocky you tested maybe the suspension was not dialed in properly. I also had a BMC fs02 and the bike felt more like a trail bike compared to the Element - the Element is a faster bike (for the price/weight) and somehow RM made the handling balanced yet agile, the front wheel just seem planted into turns where on the BMC it needed more effort to make the front wheel go where it should - but even more so on the Anthem. The 275 Anthem does have much better geometry than the 29er but it still suffers from a too low BB.

Edited by Rocky Rider

The remote lockout is very handy for use on smoother roads. I have set up mine to be connected only to the rear - it does feel like it turns the bike into a hardtail when locked out.

Edited by Rocky Rider

Having to worry about stuff like tire clearance is stupid if you are going to fork out this amount of cash. If the Vipa has such issues then don't even put the bike on your shortlist. You should be able to ride any tire or component you want on the bike you want