Riding without a helmet

Off_da_brakes

My big accident last week where I broke my hip had one huge redeeming factor - my helmet had quite a bad gouge out of it, but no damage to my head. Thanks, helmet.

Damn - somehow I missed the note on that - glad you are ok - heal up soon!!

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The is an old afrikaans saying " as jy dom is moet jy k1k", it goes very well with riding without a helmet.

In the majority of cases, a helmet might be a good thing, just like a safety belt in a car.

I've cracked three helmets - thank you. Last accident (others were silly falls) I lost consciousness, fractured 4 ribs, and have a plate and six screws on my left collar bone.

Seat belts? I've been in a nasty accident and got thrown out of a car which had its roof peeled of in the accident, and it landed upside down on its window sills, all whilst NOT wearing my safety belt, which was my saving grace - only cracked my shoulder, and had a few scrapes on one arm...

It's all risk and reward. Sometimes I dig cruising the hood on my SS sans helmet. I check out the houses and see who is building what.

When I train or race I never leave home without a helmet.

What I don't understand is why everyone feels its their duty to be the moral authority. If someone wants to drive without a seatbelt, ride without a helmet or weed eat without goggles it is their issue not yours. As long as it doesn't affect you why bother about it?

Not wearing a helmut does not make you "cool" and the "meneer", it makes you uncool and a pile of manure.

You should direct those comments to Eddiie Merckx, Bernauld Hinault, Greg le Mond, Francesco  Moser and the like..........................

You should direct those comments to Eddiie Merckx, Bernauld Hinault, Greg le Mond, Francesco  Moser and the like..........................

Top quality whataboutery there...

I've only 'needed' a helmet twice... Once, my beloved Troy Lee was a bit dented, the other time was a groggy trip to the emergency room for stitches in my head.

Bottom line: if I'm not riding only in my driveway, I wear my helmet.

What I don't understand is why everyone feels its their duty to be the moral authority. If someone wants to drive without a seatbelt, ride without a helmet or weed eat without goggles it is their issue not yours. As long as it doesn't affect you why bother about it?

I don't think wearing a seatbelt is a fair compairison. If you loose control of your car because you arn't strapped in, and cause an accident, you effect others.

If you don't wear a helmet, it's not going to prevent an accident.

Interesting study... http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/09/060911102200.htm

Study is from the UK, don't think drivers in SA have the same mentality.

Personally I wouldn't ride without a helmet.

So there I am this morning stopped outside Paul Roos Gymnasium in Stellenbosch having a quick chat to a friend I bumped into on my road ride back to Somerset West when two road cyclists rode past with the one guy not wearing a helmet. This guy seemed to be a seasoned cyclist judging by his bike and legs. Very soon after that I headed off and eventually caught and passed them on the R44. Helmetless guy had stopped and was waiting for his friend who was not as strong. They then overtook me.

The reason for my rant is not only the fact that this guy was riding without a helmet, but also that he seemed to only want to ride on the right hand side of the yellow shoulder line. I don't understand why you'd want to do that given that there is a perfectly good shoulder on the R44 between Stellenbosch and Somerset West that is the width of a car. Also, much of this section of road has a 100 km/h limit and many motorists travel at speed. A couple of drivers gave this guy a "courtesy" hoot, I guess to prompt him to move a little to the left. His friend was then weaving back and forth across the yellow line trying to hang onto his wheel. I then passed them again when the friend's legs started giving in.

I guess what I'm trying to say is:

1. Wear a helmet.

2. Don't ride like an idiot where you put yourself in danger and give cyclists a bad name. Share the roads and also be considerate towards other road users.

3. If you are going to take a friend for a ride, ride at their pace and try not ride them into the ground.

Rant off.

So there I am this morning stopped outside Paul Roos Gymnasium in Stellenbosch having a quick chat to a friend I bumped into on my road ride back to Somerset West when two road cyclists rode past with the one guy not wearing a helmet. This guy seemed to be a seasoned cyclist judging by his bike and legs. Very soon after that I headed off and eventually caught and passed them on the R44. Helmetless guy had stopped and was waiting for his friend who was not as strong. They then overtook me.

The reason for my rant is not only the fact that this guy was riding without a helmet, but also that he seemed to only want to ride on the right hand side of the yellow shoulder line. I don't understand why you'd want to do that given that there is a perfectly good shoulder on the R44 between Stellenbosch and Somerset West that is the width of a car. Also, much of this section of road has a 100 km/h limit and many motorists travel at speed. A couple of drivers gave this guy a "courtesy" hoot, I guess to prompt him to move a little to the left. His friend was then weaving back and forth across the yellow line trying to hang onto his wheel. I then passed them again when the friend's legs started giving in.

I guess what I'm trying to say is:

1. Wear a helmet.

2. Don't ride like an idiot where you put yourself in danger and give cyclists a bad name. Share the roads and also be considerate towards other road users.

3. If you are going to take a friend for a ride, ride at their pace and try not ride them into the ground.

Rant off.

I often ride without my helmet. Why because I choose freedom over fashion. I am no less safer than you.

I also ride to the right of the yellow emergency lane. Why because riding in the emergency lane is restricted to official vehicles in an emergency.

Last point, no comment.