Touring suggestion?

Sepia

I know navigation and connectivity are useful for instance to keep away from certain areas more than anything else, and if you need to find accomm, then tripadviser etc I find helpful. 

At the same time I find part of the 'adventure' is not being so tech enabled that you take the fun out of it, by that I mean ask a farmer or a storekeeper where the road goes, is there a quieter alternative, is water available? etc, those things you wont find on many maps other than a Slingsby.

For my ride I hauled out one of my dad's 1:250 000 maps of the area, printed in 1970, the year before I was born, so it didnt have the westcoast road or some of the other newer, faster alternatives, but those dont really matter if you are touring. It mainly showed the older roads and the farm boundaries, which is quite interesting because very few farm names change, so its quite nice to ride from farm to farm and read a bit into the route.

If there is a Slingsby available for any part of your route, then that is just so worth it, the info on that is just incomparable.

I put an old bike computer on my bike for this trip just to record the km's - apart from that and my phone thats about as tech as I get.  

+1 on the Slingbsy. have used it before to phone accom as he prints the numbers on the maps.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to hijack the thread but here are some pics of the bar bags I have and the hanger. The blue bag's hanger has a double hanger that fastens the hanger to the bars.

@Loose cog

I like the concept.  Is it possible to obtain just the bracket separately? The double fixing points on the stem and bar is what I am after.

The bags date from early 1980's. I recently bought the bike from the widow of the previous owner who bought the bike in London and then did the Lands End to John O'Groats ride. I can take some measurements and maybe you could get someone to copy the hangers?

The bags date from early 1980's. I recently bought the bike from the widow of the previous owner who bought the bike in London and then did the Lands End to John O'Groats ride. I can take some measurements and maybe you could get someone to copy the hangers?

I'm sure a wire manufacturer could bend one to spec or sample.

Thanks LG.  Appreciate it.  Just feel it may not work and these things need to be matched with the bike bag.

Will look at bending myself and see what happens.  Otherwise I will stick with my modified and adapted Topeak bag clamp.

I have over 20 provisional orders for saddle bags so I will need to speak to the factory soon.

Anybody else for some of these bags before the cuttings starts?

I may make some extras just in case.

Thanks to those who have shown interest.

Edited by Sepia

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Mandla here.

I heard of something  called the African Ivory Route. From Lephalale (Ellisras) to Crooks Corner (KNP Pafuri block). This route is said to be designed for 4x4 travel but it is possible to do it on bicycles. Does anyone have any information about this route? Maybe someone with access to tracks4africa.

Hi, Mandla here.

I heard of something  called the African Ivory Route. From Lephalale (Ellisras) to Crooks Corner (KNP Pafuri block). This route is said to be designed for 4x4 travel but it is possible to do it on bicycles. Does anyone have any information about this route? Maybe someone with access to tracks4africa.

If it is anything like the Hunters Road from Nata to Vic Falls forget it.And take a rifle or two.....

If it is anything like the Hunters Road from Nata to Vic Falls forget it.And take a rifle or two.....

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...