Touring suggestion?

Sepia

Well done Dusty.  One hang of an achievement.  I wish ................

(The pics don't make it any easier  :( )

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Hijack*

PS anyone in need of a Rohloff... I've finally come to the sad realization that I'm never going to complete my tourer build, so I can get rid of the rohloff.

It's done around 5000 km's, one owner and in an immaculate condition. It's a red anodized disc type quick release mount with a new rotor (old one got bent in transit on an overseas trip). PM if you're interested.

Is it still available?

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice! What is the weight of your sleeping bag and mat? 

Thin down bag and blow up mat.  Not sure of the weight as I dont think you will get lighter for the price.  With tent I think it was 1900gms

• 1 month later...

A little late, but better than never....

Had myself a little tour from JHB to Durban in October. It started a few years ago as a wish to ride from my kitchen door to the Indian ocean - funny things go on in your head when the divorce machine is in full swing - and I pulled the trigger on it despite a couple of mates pulling out.

7 days riding with bike-packing luggage (route below) for 825 km. B&B and friends-of-friends  accommodation throughout. It was a great trip and a highlight of the year for me. Some random thoughts follow for those who might find it useful or interesting.

But first, you've got to love The Hub....a year or so ago I bought a saddle bag from Sepia and we had some comms at that time. When I started planning this recent tour, I contacted him for some local advice on routes into Durban. The next thing he volunteers to meet me in Hillcrest and ride in with me following a multitude of 'back route' roads that I would never have stood a chance of navigating alone, to deliver me safe and sound at my destination of Umdloti. This and the provision of a bike box and some tools to get my bike ready for a return flight, was much appreciated. And as is the norm, on The Hub, it was our first time of meeting!

ROUTE

1. Lanseria - Deneysville. 144 km. String cross and head winds throughout. Straight out of town on Beyers heading south through Melville, the CBD and down to the R59 (yes, I know...... :whistling: ) to V-town and then on to Deneysville  I rode to V-town with a mate who got a lift back as he waved me bon voyage at the FS border. Probably not the smartest bit of route-planning (the CBD was a pleasure to ride on a Sunday morning, but the R59 less so....), nor riding the longest day on day 1, but we live and learn...

2. Deneysville to Tweeling via Oranjeville. 114 km. The day I had done least prep for and it showed itself, as the R716 from Deneysville to Oranjeville had some roadworks with broken surface - not such a big deal. But beyond Oranjeville east to the R26, basically didn't have a road for 20 km or so, and I was glad to be on a CX bike with 32 mm touring tyres. That 20 km section took me over 1.5 hours and it was a gravel ride and portage experience of note that left me buggered. DON'T ride this in the near future on a standard road bike if you like your wheels round and are averse to being prone on the ground.....

It felt like endless rolling hills....

3. Tweeling - Clarens, via Reitz and Mayhem, sort, Bethlehem. 128 km. Head winds throughout. Again, endless head winds and rolling hills, but a nice ride to Bethlehem, with some good tar, when the wheels fell off and the ride to Clarens seemed to take forever. I stayed at the Clarens back packers and I think I had a 'look' in my eye as the manageress offered me a beer on arrival; it was much appreciated!

4. Clarens, through the golden gate, around Sterkfontein dam, down Oliviershoek pass to the amphitheatre back packers. 115 km. If you haven't ridden through the golden gate, it's highly recommended, but there are a 'few' hills to contend with on the way....

Not many towns to pass through on this leg, so I was glad of on-board food, but local spaza shops were a god send. During this leg I realised that the hills, headwinds and extra 20-30 km a day over my target of 100 km a day were catching up on me. These may have been factors in me tearing a muscle in my calf at this point. Next time....

5. Ampitheatre BP to Mooi River. 128 km. Hills, head winds and 42 degs C on the R74 between Winterton to Frere. I'd forgotten that you have to climb out of Estcourt, and then missed the R103 turn-off adding a few extra kms, and then I found Griffins Hill about 20 km out of Mooi. It....went....on....forever. And spirits had to be mustered at this point as I was running out of daylight, and 'application', but the downhill to Mooi and a bed and a home cooked meal with friends of friends, were most welcome.

6. Mooi to PMB. 76 km. An easy day with many coffee stops along the Midlands Meander.

7. PMB - Umdloti via Hillcrest. 120 km. I thought I'd under-estimated how hard the Comrades/Amashova route was as I found it hard going to Hillcrest, where Sepia was waiting a few extra hours than I'd expected (the excuse follows....). Met Sepia and had a quick snack and then followed him on a tour de neighbourhoods all the way to Umdloti, where my toes were placed in the Indian ocean followed by good company and a few beers. (Woke next morning with flu, which probably explains the previous day's lethargy....thank you body for hanging in there!).

BIKE & KIT: Cotic X, with 32mm Conti Touring Plus tyres (zero punctures for the entire trip!) and a 50/34 and 11-36 set-up. I needed the 34x36 granny on many occasions. Saddle bag, half frame bag and handlebar bag. I travelled light and had plenty of un-used space, but the bike and luggage still weighed around 21-22 kg, which I could 'feel'. 

LESSONS:

1. Take more than 1 charger for electronics, phone etc, as I couldn't get everything fully charged overnight.

2. Tracker. I used MySOS and I had a mate track me. It was great. BUT my phone died halfway on leg 4 and a ghost track point off-route made my mate v uneasy and he was v happy to hear from me that evening when I got into digs. Establish a better protocol for a not-heard-from scenario.

3. A bit more prep into road conditions etc, would have been good. But maybe it would have removed some of the spice?

4. For my fitness, keep the stages down to 100 km per day, max, and perhaps move the easy day to the middle of the trip. Also keep day 1 mileage down....

5. I had zero issues with traffic or safety apart from a truck that squeezed me in Bethlehem (Mayhem!) and a feeling that I needed to get out of Estcourt before the traffic claimed me. The rest of the time, drivers gave me a massive berth and a toot and a wave. The GP drivers, in the FS, were less accommodating but not unsafe. I stopped and ate in Spazas in townships, chatted to lone okes in the middle of nowhere, was often the only white face in small towns and only met lots of friendly people.

So now, the day-dreaming of the next trip starts..............My kitchen door to the Atlantic ocean perhaps? 

(Photos to follow).

Pleasure to have ridden with you Bob.  Great meeting you too.  Bit of a snake towards the end as you were winding it!

(Sorry I did not pay for the beers....!!..)

Edited by Sepia

Pleasure to have ridden with you Bob.  Great meeting you too.  Bit of a snake towards the end as you were winding it!

(Sorry I did not pay for the beers....!!..)

The thoughts of the finishing post, beer and the arms of a good woman inspired me!! :D  

A little late, but better than never....

Had myself a little tour from JHB to Durban in October. It started a few years ago as a wish to ride from my kitchen door to the Indian ocean - funny things go on in your head when the divorce machine is in full swing - and I pulled the trigger on it despite a couple of mates pulling out.

7 days riding with bike-packing luggage (route below) for 825 km. B&B and friends-of-friends  accommodation throughout. It was a great trip and a highlight of the year for me. Some random thoughts follow for those who might find it useful or interesting.

(snip....)

(Photos to follow).

Sunrise departure from Lanseria.....

post-77414-0-41242900-1542800059_thumb.jpg

The temporary road from Oranjeville.....

post-77414-0-09787900-1542800165_thumb.jpg

Occasional hops up onto the road under construction found some compacted gravel....

post-77414-0-21916000-1542800272_thumb.jpg

I needed a coffee stop, but he waited patiently at the door to carry me onwards....

post-77414-0-31645500-1542800397_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fat Boab

Having just left Clarens, with the Golden Gate ahead.

post-77414-0-68617200-1542800709_thumb.jpg

Over the top of the Golden Gate with some great downhills as a reward... 

post-77414-0-59576700-1542801715_thumb.jpg

Arrival in Umdloti with feet in the Indian Ocean.....

post-77414-0-91613000-1542801760_thumb.jpg

.....and hydrating with Sepia!

post-77414-0-88266800-1542801805_thumb.jpg

I seem more photogenic than you but I am more tired than you.  Nice one Boab! You would never say you have just cycled from Jo'burg. Great T-shirt!

Edited by Sepia