Kevin Evans accepts doping charge

Paulst12

Its a benchmark and if the team is a member of MPCC riders won't be allowed to start. They call it a health check, however, a number of riders apparently are born with higher levels and others are thought to dope up to that level. DG fell foul of this while riding in Europe years back. 

It's been said that calling the immediate suspensions they used to hand out for being above a level for health reasons was the only way the authorities could claw one back on the dopers at a time when there was no test for EPO.

Edited by Tumbleweed

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lancesball

So you're sticking with "poop load" then?

Cool. :thumbup:

post-83977-0-23962100-1453388074_thumb.png

Well - 50 is the limit UCI has set - never ever seen anyone with a 50 naturally.... they may be out there, but they are few and far between.

I have never seen a study on a safe limit - not sure that would pass an ethics comittee as a study proposal - I will ask around in cardiology next time I see someone.

A couple of cyclists with levels above 50%, only name that comes to mind is Charlie Wegulius. Had to prove that he was abnormal. Best remembered as the rider that raced for team instead of country at Worlds.  

Heres the thing - we clearly care about this stuff as this thread is now running 50 pages and its still getting more interesting and informative.

This is a pretty fascinating topic and its pretty much a tragicomedy in the way that it has panned out with all nuances of the people involved having added their 2 cents along the way. Its like we all knew this was likely - we dreaded that it could be true and we hoped that it wasn't. But like in the movies the story has unravelled in such a way that it makes movie scripts and series look tame - their script writers could write this and we wouldn't watch it as we would say its too far fetched.

I am continually fascinated by the psyche of the dopers as well as the righteous indignation they show when caught - this is what keeps me hooked on this topic - Lance, Kevin, Tyler, Rourke - basically all very similar.....

A couple of cyclists with levels above 50%, only name that comes to mind is Charlie Wegulius. Had to prove that he was abnormal. Best remembered as the rider that raced for team instead of country at Worlds.  

Ricco claimed to have a naturally high level too...but then again, he was getting his gear at McD's.

Couple of mountain climbers have documented levels over 50 - this might be nature or nurture or something else - like I say it's not a normal number - if I saw one over 50 I would probably get the test repeated thinking they had made a mistake....

so is this going to be the #dopefriday thread?

#fosho.........laddies, bring the handbags........#doppingweekendstaystrong

Well - 50 is the limit UCI has set - never ever seen anyone with a 50 naturally.... they may be out there, but they are few and far between.

I have never seen a study on a safe limit - not sure that would pass an ethics comittee as a study proposal - I will ask around in cardiology next time I see someone.

This is perhaps a good time in explaining why people that say doping levels the playing field are wrong.

What the guys do that's below 50 is that they take epo to push it to high 40s/close to 50, the UCI limit. I think Lance's natural level was in the low 40s, thus he could improve quite a lot. Other guys' natural level is closer to 50 and can't increase it anymore.

That's my simple understanding, so please help/explain more if you can.

Other guys' natural level is closer to 50 and can't increase it anymore.

So in a sense it does level the playing field in that everybody now have levels close to 50

(but not in the sense that everybody benefits equally from doping) 

This is perhaps a good time in explaining why people that say doping levels the playing field are wrong.

What the guys do that's below 50 is that they take epo to push it to high 40s/close to 50, the UCI limit. I think Lance's natural level was in the low 40s, thus he could improve quite a lot. Other guys' natural level is closer to 50 and can't increase it anymore.

That's my simple understanding, so please help/explain more if you can.

Correct although a higher level does not necessarily translate into performance. Wegelius was a domestique all his life and never won anything with a level of 51%. 

Guest notmyname

This thread has really developed into plain awesome.

Thanks Kev.

So in a sense it does level the playing field in that everybody now have levels close to 50

(but not in the sense that everybody benefits equally from doping)

Yes, I think that's it, not everybody benefits equally. And what jcza said above.

Edited by andydude

I am learning so much from this thread...

It's the biology class I never attended at school.

Ditto....although a fair amount still confuses me. Just like school.