Testicular Cancer and Cycling

JuddMan

Gooday All :thumbup:

With today being World Cancer Awareness Day (4th Feb), I would like to know from all of you, who put many hours on the bike, how you feel knowing about the link between testicular cancer and cycling?

I am obviously speaking to men between the ages of 15 and 40, as this is the main target group.

I would like to use this opportunity to chat about it, and hopefully educate a person or two, and hear what others think?

The floor is open... 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gooday All :thumbup:

With today being World Cancer Awareness Day (4th Feb), I would like to know from all of you, who put many hours on the bike, how you feel knowing about the link between testicular cancer and cycling?

I am obviously speaking to men between the ages of 15 and 40, as this is the main target group.

I would like to use this opportunity to chat about it, and hopefully educate a person or two, and hear what others think?

The floor is open... 

What link?

A good pair of bibs and your go nads are happy. More worried about my cell phone sapping my balls.

What link?

A good pair of bibs and your go nads are happy. More worried about my cell phone sapping my balls.

Well its no secret that cycling does increase risk. From what I know, many pro cyclists have got testicular cancer from riding. Last years Tour de France, Lance Armstrong etc.

Well its no secret that cycling does increase risk. From what I know, many pro cyclists have got testicular cancer from riding. Last years Tour de France, Lance Armstrong etc.

The link could possibly have more to do with doping than cycling[emoji102]

Hat, coat, door

Not sure about the link to testicular cancer BUT the UCI have relaxed the seat regulations from this year quite considerably.... probably for health reasons i ASSume (Mental health and comfort go hand in hand :whistling: )

Old rule allowed max of 3 deg's saddle tilt from horizontal

New rule allows max of 10 deg's tilt

Feels more comfortable just thinking about it... never understood how some pro guys could ride for so long with a horizontal saddle and a large drop between saddle and bar height

TAMPA, Fla. (BRAIN) — Racers who have long sought relaxation in the UCI's rigid rules governing saddle tilt and saddle length can breathe a sigh of relief. Time trial riders can now tilt their saddles as much as 10 degrees off plane and the 300-millimeter saddle-length rule has been given an additional 5 millimeters of wiggle room.

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/product-tech/2015/12/03/uci-changes-rules-governing-saddle-tilt-and-saddle-length#.VrM2BcLSm77

Okay. Look, from what I know is that there has always been speculation that the saddle of the bike causes damage, leading to an increased risk of developing the cancer. Many researchers have said there can be a link, while others not. My original post was never meant to sound like fact (sorry if it came out that way), but more trying to ascertain what people's perceptions are.

The floor is yours. I'll be reading what you say and hopefully learn something. 

The floor is yours. I'll be reading what you say and hopefully learn something. 

Well look, let me give you a brief rundown.

I am 24 years old, was diagnosed with testicular cancer on 29/04/2015. Had an operation to remove the offending nut, and proceeded with BEP Chemotherapy which started on 01/06/2015 and ended just before 08/2015. It was hell.

Now here is the kicker. I am actually not a cyclist at all. I am on this forum because I would really like to start mountain biking and have been seeking advice etc here for a handful of months.

Now while I was having all the chemo, my oncologist tried to ascertain how I had gotten the cancer (we found it was just pure bad luck, as I have not had any trauma or history to point that its in my family or from an accident of sorts). During this process that he did explain to me that while there is no definitive proof that cycling itself does cause testicular cancer, he does say that any sport that puts undue pressure and physicality on the testicle will always increase the risk.

Are you sure?

I have not seen anything conclusive in the medical literature I read - there appears as if there may be a more likely link with prostate issues, and that is also not a perfect piece of science yet.

As a cyclist, you should be aware of the symptoms of both testicular cancer and prostate issues (not only prostate cancer) and especially include regular self tests for testiclular lumps, and have regular prostate exams - (blood test and manual) - in fact ALL men should do this - especially those in the high risk age groups - and most importantly - if you suspect an an anomaly or have urinary flow changes, then GET EXAMINED - asap.

Early detection is the best medicine... the earlier the better....

There's also the people who believe Lance's cancer was aggravated - or even caused - by his doping. 

V12, is there any link between doping and the aggression or progression of cancers in the body? 

There's also the people who believe Lance's cancer was aggravated - or even caused - by his doping. 

V12, is there any link between doping and the aggression or progression of cancers in the body? 

Depends what kind of doping....

Electric motor doping - I would say none...

EPO - probably not much risk

Stimulant usage - I havn't seen any studies on this, but...

Steroid abuse - the risks are high - especially when not using clincally approved dosing and veterinary products - and there are many other side effects that are not desirable too - not something I would personally consider just for the health risks, let alone the ethical/moral considerations.

I am 24 years old, was diagnosed with testicular cancer on 29/04/2015. Had an operation to remove the offending nut, and proceeded with BEP Chemotherapy which started on 01/06/2015 and ended just before 08/2015. It was hell.

Now here is the kicker. I am actually not a cyclist at all. I am on this forum because I would really like to start mountain biking and have been seeking advice etc here for a handful of months.

Now while I was having all the chemo, my oncologist tried to ascertain how I had gotten the cancer (we found it was just pure bad luck, as I have not had any trauma or history to point that its in my family or from an accident of sorts). During this process that he did explain to me that while there is no definitive proof that cycling itself does cause testicular cancer, he does say that any sport that puts undue pressure and physicality on the testicle will always increase the risk.

Ok, fair point, I do the whole self check thing. 

With a correct setup I am not sure exactly how much extra external pressure is placed on the little guys. I do know some people that sound like the ride while sitting on them :P

The reason I queried it was that I know a lot of cyclists that do a lot of cycling, some old toppies for more than 35 years and had no issues.

I did think I found a lump the other day, rushed to doc, turned out to be a ridiculous saddle sore.

Ok, fair point, I do the whole self check thing. 

I did think I found a lump the other day, rushed to doc, turned out to be a ridiculous saddle sore.

Self check - smart move

Rush to doc when finding lump - smart move

Saddle sore and not a lump....  better than the alternative, but not good.

Hey all the best :thumbup:

I don't think you need to worry excessively regarding the link to cycling, if there was a definitive link to testicular cancer i think some of us would know by now. There are always rumours and suspicions wrt to health in all aspects of life, do this, don't do that warra warra and then in 5 years they revise and change things around.

Like most things in life, keep a good balance, balanced sport... don't over do it.

Get a mtb and enjoy it, it will most likely do far more good than harm in the long run.