Testicular Cancer and Cycling

JuddMan

Hey all the best :thumbup:

I don't think you need to worry excessively regarding the link to cycling, if there was a definitive link to testicular cancer i think some of us would know by now. There are always rumours and suspicions wrt to health in all aspects of life, do this, don't do that warra warra and then in 5 years they revise and change things around.

Like most things in life, keep a good balance, balanced sport... don't over do it.

Get a mtb and enjoy it, it will most likely do far more good than harm in the long run.

Ditto except get a road or Cyclo cross bike... :D

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you need to worry excessively regarding the link to cycling, if there was a definitive link to testicular cancer i think some of us would know by now. There are always rumours and suspicions wrt to health in all aspects of life, do this, don't do that warra warra and then in 5 years they revise and change things around.

Like most things in life, keep a good balance, balanced sport... don't over do it.

Get a mtb and enjoy it, it will most likely do far more good than harm in the long run.

cheers :thumbup:

Look at the end of the day, let us not forget that this is an extreme rare form of cancer for men. When I was diagnosed, I was the 5th diagnoses in 4 years! So I'm not saying that its a given or that there is a direct link, perhaps I should of worded the OP a bit differently.

But, I am very happy to hear how many of you do the whole, self check and are aware :thumbup:

Ditto except get a road or Cyclo cross bike... :D

Hahahaha, I have thought about it but I like the idea of being offroad.

I am saving and waiting patiently for a good deal here on the hub. So far have about R6k in all.

Hahahaha, I have thought about it but I like the idea of being offroad.

Then cyclo cross / gravel grinder is for you :D

Look at the end of the day, let us not forget that this is an extreme rare form of cancer for men. When I was diagnosed, I was the 5th diagnoses in 4 years! So I'm not saying that its a given or that there is a direct link, perhaps I should of worded the OP a bit differently.

But, I am very happy to hear how many of you do the whole, self check and are aware :thumbup:

Wait testicular cancer is rare in men?? I am pretty sure its even rarer in women!!

Where you the only 5th in 4 years in your age group, or in total?

Just like to get informed :)

Wait testicular cancer is rare in men?? I am pretty sure its even rarer in women!!

I am pretty sure it was his doc's 5th case in 4 years.... but TC's incidence is a lot lower than prostate cancer for instance

I know two guys that have had it and both played rugby.

Theres been a surge in cycling world wide over the last few years but not much of a increase in tc stats.

Been down this route very recently. ISM Adamo saddle was the answer for road bike and a softail for MTB is fine provided setup is 100%.

There was a very well known South African cyclist who, when he started cycling was called Pierre Besuidenhoud......

I am pretty sure it was his doc's 5th case in 4 years.... but TC's incidence is a lot lower than prostate cancer for instance

Correct.

In total, with my Doc. The USA reports about 5000 cases of TC a year, which is incredibly low given the male population is about 150mil

see the following stats:

In 2007, there were only 153 reported cases of testicular cancer in South Africa,

and,

in 2009, testicular cancer only accounted for 1.1% of all male cacer WORLDWIDE