Testicular Cancer and Cycling

JuddMan

Does anyone have a percentage break down?

Exp:

0ut of every 100 ,80 is cyclist? 80% cyclist?

Or is it 5% is actually cyclist , that should give a very quick indication of risk.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info, always good to take balls and learn something on a Friday.

Cheers! If it has made you more aware/helped in any way, I am glad.

see the following stats:

In 2007, there were only 153 reported cases of testicular cancer in South Africa,

and,

in 2009, testicular cancer only accounted for 1.1% of all male cacer WORLDWIDE

I suspect that this has a significant under reporting error in SA unfortunately - and often it is confused by the location of a variety of mets - so for instance if Lance were to pass from cancer in SA, he would likely have been diagnosed with brain cancer post mortem - if a PM was even done at all.

Certainly (in line with worldwide numbers) it is more prevalent in higher income groups - and to me that shows a likely under diagnosis in lower income groups (I might be wrong, maybe expensive food is a cause of TC....)

I suspect that this has a significant under reporting error in SA unfortunately - and often it is confused by the location of a variety of mets - so for instance if Lance were to pass from cancer in SA, he would likely have been diagnosed with brain cancer post mortem - if a PM was even done at all.

Certainly (in line with worldwide numbers) it is more prevalent in higher income groups - and to me that shows a likely under diagnosis in lower income groups (I might be wrong, maybe expensive food is a cause of TC....)

I don't think that is the case. From my understanding, it is correct reporting. The cases reported were for patients undergoing treatment, not causes of death.

And the cause of TC is very un-definitive. The current causes (read: what puts you more at risk) are an undescended testicle when you are young, trauma/damage to the testicle and history of it in the family. That is it. Doctors cannot point out a exact cause.

I don't think that is the case. From my understanding, it is correct reporting.

You don't work in public health do you :) amazing amounts of things are not reported... or badly reported, or not even known about.... and often not even treated... or partially treated, or treatment is so significantly delayed that there is no practical possibility of cure... resources are limited, and we don't work in a first world, 35hour a week country - something has to give, and reporting is (sad to say) often one of the many things that is just not done correctly.

You don't work in public health do you :) amazing amounts of things are not reported... or badly reported, or not even known about.... and often not even treated... or partially treated, or treatment is so significantly delayed that there is no practical possibility of cure... resources are limited, and we don't work in a first world, 35hour a week country - something has to give, and reporting is (sad to say) often one of the many things that is just not done correctly.

sounds like you know something I don't....

If it is incorrect reporting, what is should the correction be? 

If it is incorrect reporting, what is should the correction be? 

I would have to take an absolute flyer on what would be a reasonable number unfortunately - I am just sure it is one of those things that is badly under reported (as are plenty of things in public hospitals)

My guess is the real number would be close to one of the countries where reporting is good in Europe or the USA - higher than what is reported here, but still a fairly uncommon cancer, and from a public health persective, not a huge concern - TB and HIV being the biggest infective concerns and taking a much larger slice of the funding pie so to speak.

As a cyclist, you should be aware of the symptoms of both testicular cancer and prostate issues (not only prostate cancer) and especially include regular self tests for testiclular lumps, and have regular prostate exams - (blood test and manual) - in fact ALL men should do this - especially those in the high

Scanning this, I got a real fright when I read "Prostate issues" and "regular self tests" in the same sentence, before reading the rest.

I was concerned about the shoulder injuries I'd get contorting myself to check my prostate regularly...... :w00t:  :eek:  :eek:

Scanning this, I got a real fright when I read "Prostate issues" and "regular self tests" in the same sentence, before reading the rest.

I was concerned about the shoulder injuries I'd get contorting myself to check my prostate regularly...... :w00t:  :eek:  :eek:

It's not a visual check mate..... :)  4 inches further than your normal toy.... should be easy....

Some say, he knows a doctor and that he was once accused of writing a book.

All we know is he is called the V12man !!

Are you sure?

I have not seen anything conclusive in the medical literature I read - there appears as if there may be a more likely link with prostate issues, and that is also not a perfect piece of science yet.

...............  Early detection is the best medicine... the earlier the better....

If you are male you have a 16.5% chance of getting prostate cancer.  If your brother or Father had it that goes up to about 27.5%   My Brother and Father had it so it was no surprise that I got it, but only I am a cyclist. 5 of my friends over 60 have had it, and not one is a cyclist. 

Regular testing is essential.

From the age of 60 I went for annual tests, in 2010 my PSA test was normal  2.1  , In 2011 it was still a normal 4.0,  but in increase signalled a change so I was tested every 2-3 months thereafter and in 2012 had a biopsy and then underwent surgery.

I have NEVER had any symptoms at all for the disease, no pain, poor flow, enlargement, or anything else. Only  the  regular annual blood test and eventually a Biopsy picked it up. 

Hey all the best :thumbup:

I don't think you need to worry excessively regarding the link to cycling, if there was a definitive link to testicular cancer i think some of us would know by now. There are always rumours and suspicions wrt to health in all aspects of life, do this, don't do that warra warra and then in 5 years they revise and change things around.

Like most things in life, keep a good balance, balanced sport... don't over do it.

Get a mtb and enjoy it, it will most likely do far more good than harm in the long run.

The links if any are small and may be accounted for by the fact that cyclists as a group may be  more health conscious, and are more likely to be diagnosed early.  

If you are male you have a 16.5% chance of getting prostate cancer.  If your brother or Father had it that goes up to about 27.5%   My Brother and Father had it so it was no surprise that I got it, but only I am a cyclist. 5 of my friends over 60 have had it, and not one is a cyclist. 

Regular testing is essential.

From the age of 60 I went for annual tests, in 2010 my PSA test was normal  2.1  , In 2011 it was still a normal 4.0,  but in increase signalled a change so I was tested every 2-3 months thereafter and in 2012 had a biopsy and then underwent surgery.

I have NEVER had any symptoms at all for the disease, no pain, poor flow, enlargement, or anything else. Only  the  regular annual blood test and eventually a Biopsy picked it up. 

A perfect example of early detection being the best medicine :)

I reccomend a test every 2 years for PWP's (people with penis) over 40... PSA and manual test.... Being vaguely old school, I believe there is value in both tests, because the PSA sometimes gives a false negative - as does the manual test.

Now in your case, if you were part of the public health system, you would most likely not have been detected or even tested until you were showing symptoms (and given your age, that may well have been in your 70's - with some other health issue being potentially fatal before detection)