Testicular Cancer and Cycling

JuddMan

Now in your case, if you were part of the public health system, you would most likely not have been detected or even tested until you were showing symptoms (and given your age, that may well have been in your 70's - with some other health issue being potentially fatal before detection)

If you can pay there is world class treatment available in the private sector, but even then you have to drive it , for about 20 years the only time I saw my GP was in the forest on our bikes, at races or when I fell off my bike and needed patching up.   

It was only when I hit sixty I decided I should be having an annual medical check-up.   If I had not decided that I would by now have the cancer spread all over and probably still not be aware that I have it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A perfect example of early detection being the best medicine :)

I reccomend a test every 2 years for PWP's (people with penis) over 40... PSA and manual test.... Being vaguely old school, I believe there is value in both tests, because the PSA sometimes gives a false negative - as does the manual test.

Now in your case, if you were part of the public health system, you would most likely not have been detected or even tested until you were showing symptoms (and given your age, that may well have been in your 70's - with some other health issue being potentially fatal before detection)

I went for my regular annual routine check-up last year August, manual test was fine, but PSA was up from 3.2 to 4.8. So he wanted to do biopsy immediately, with course in antibiotics for possible infection after biopsy...

It was 2 months before our long planned trip to cycle the Camino de Santiago in Spain, so THAT would have placed the whole trip (paid for already by that time) in jeopardy.

So I phoned my mate- medical dr in Canada- he sent me medical research articles wherein it was confirmed that it is a well known fact that serious cycling might significantly indicate raised PSA levels. His advice: stop cycling for 10 days and re-do the test.

So I did- went cycling in Spain, stayed of my bike for 10 days thereafter, and went for the test again... PSA back down to 3.4...

Early detection is key! Whether it is Prostate or Testicular..

I had a very aggressive tumor. It grew from 1.4cm to 6cm in 4 days. :whistling: Doctors reckon I had a 2 week window before it became stage 3/4. Luckily found it before then.

Depends what kind of doping....

Electric motor doping - I would say none...

EPO - probably not much risk

Stimulant usage - I havn't seen any studies on this, but...

Steroid abuse - the risks are high - especially when not using clincally approved dosing and veterinary products - and there are many other side effects that are not desirable too - not something I would personally consider just for the health risks, let alone the ethical/moral considerations.

The two high profile testicular cancer I know of are Lance and Ivan basso. There's a 100% hit rate on dirty doping in that sample set

Early detection is key! Whether it is Prostate or Testicular..

I had a very aggressive tumor. It grew from 1.4cm to 6cm in 4 days. :whistling: Doctors reckon I had a 2 week window before it became stage 3/4. Luckily found it before then.

Judd, how did you detect it? Routine check up, or pain, or how?

Felt a lump and feeling of 'heaviness' in the scrotum. Those were the two main parts that stood out. The night before surgery I did have a pain, but that could of also been psychological because I knew about the surgery, however, dull pain and/or aches in the lower abdomen and scrotum are not uncommon.   

The two high profile testicular cancer I know of are Lance and Ivan basso. There's a 100% hit rate on dirty doping in that sample set

Sample size too small to be of any statistical significance... :)

I went for my regular annual routine check-up last year August, manual test was fine, but PSA was up from 3.2 to 4.8. So he wanted to do biopsy immediately, with course in antibiotics for possible infection after biopsy...

It was 2 months before our long planned trip to cycle the Camino de Santiago in Spain, so THAT would have placed the whole trip (paid for already by that time) in jeopardy.

So I phoned my mate- medical dr in Canada- he sent me medical research articles wherein it was confirmed that it is a well known fact that serious cycling might significantly indicate raised PSA levels. His advice: stop cycling for 10 days and re-do the test.

So I did- went cycling in Spain, stayed of my bike for 10 days thereafter, and went for the test again... PSA back down to 3.4...

Manual exam?

Like I said - I am NOT wedded to the PSA test as an absolute diagnostic criteria - sometimes you just have to take it like a man.... ;)

If you can pay there is world class treatment available in the private sector, but even then you have to drive it , for about 20 years the only time I saw my GP was in the forest on our bikes, at races or when I fell off my bike and needed patching up.   

It was only when I hit sixty I decided I should be having an annual medical check-up.   If I had not decided that I would by now have the cancer spread all over and probably still not be aware that I have it.

True - money does buy better healthcare on average - I am off for my checkup in a couple of hours.....

great post Judd - your goal of increasing awareness is achieved.

does not matter about links between cycling and cancer, the point is, everyone should be aware and everyone should do regular check-ups. If you know you are pre disposed, regular check ups are vital.

I go for melanoma check ups once a year, and if anything looks or feels odd, I go in between those time frames as well.

I was not given a skin type designed for Africa. And of course I do a sport that is outside in the sun all day.

• 8 years later...

I'm 43 years old, probably in best shape of my life, don't smoke, seldom drink and exercise daily. Last week I had a PSA test and the Doc called me on Monday saying my PSA level was at 3.5, which is elevated, especially for a person my age. He gave me the option of either booking a MRI scan, or waiting 6 weeks and doing another PSA test. I initially opted to do another PSA test but after reading up about PSA I wasn't sure if any factors (such as cycling, or a DRE the doc did just before the blood samples were taken) that may cause some variability in results would have caused that much of a deviation, so I called back and booked the MRI, which the soonest date available was in 2 weeks time. Just trying to prepare myself for the worst, but also try to gauge how likely a PSA level of 3.5 is of being cancer (I have two weeks to kill, while trying to not freak out!). I called my dad to ask him if he knew his PSA level and it was less than 1, so I don't think prostate cancer is in the genes. Would appreciate any insight, thanks!

Edited by devocean

This from a 76 year old who has been cycling for almost 40 years .

postpone the  scan and do another test in 3 or 4 months time . Lots of factors influencing the count .

scan will be inconclusive and then you will be sent for a biopsy .

pse levels go up with age 

but it is your health your decision

20 minutes ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

postpone the  scan and do another test in 3 or 4 months time . Lots of factors influencing the count .

I am 64 and have gone for a PSA every year for years. The PSA level has risen progressively over the years (normal) however when it went in excess of 4.3 I was referred to a Urologist. Digital test and ultra scan confirmed an enlarged prostrate 4 x normal size. Immediately went on to meds (Uromaxco) and prostrate has reduced to 2x. PSA level 2.2. Continue to be monitored every 6 months. This diagnosis was established 14 months ago.

Continue to ride like a demon.

Best of luck 

1 hour ago, devocean said:

I'm 43 years old, probably in best shape of my life, don't smoke, seldom drink and exercise daily. Last week I had a PSA test and the Doc called me on Monday saying my PSA level was at 3.5, which is elevated, especially for a person my age. He gave me the option of either booking a MRI scan, or waiting 6 weeks and doing another PSA test. I initially opted to do another PSA test but after reading up about PSA I wasn't sure if any factors (such as cycling, or a DRE the doc did just before the blood samples were taken) that may cause some variability in results would have caused that much of a deviation, so I called back and booked the MRI, which the soonest date available was in 2 weeks time. Just trying to prepare myself for the worst, but also try to gauge how likely a PSA level of 3.5 is of being cancer (I have two weeks to kill, while trying to not freak out!). I called my dad to ask him if he knew his PSA level and it was less than 1, so I don't think prostate cancer is in the genes. Would appreciate any insight, thanks!

If there's even a small doubt, I'd never postpone a test as you wouldn't want to wait till it's too late.

Hope it's nothing mate 💪

Edited by Jbr

1 hour ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

My question really is...of those factors that influence the count, from what I read, they affect the count by maximum of say 10%, unless I understood incorrectly. So even if the level has been increased by 10% by other factors, it's still an abnormal level for somebody in their forties. 3.5 is verging on the abnormal level for someone in their 60's even.