Testicular Cancer and Cycling

JuddMan

That's a high number, I am of a similar age and had my PSA tested last year September and it came in at 0.65. Anything above 2.6 is high and should be taken seriously. Health is Wealth 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, devocean said:

I'm 43 years old, probably in best shape of my life, don't smoke, seldom drink and exercise daily. Last week I had a PSA test and the Doc called me on Monday saying my PSA level was at 3.5, which is elevated, especially for a person my age. He gave me the option of either booking a MRI scan, or waiting 6 weeks and doing another PSA test. I initially opted to do another PSA test but after reading up about PSA I wasn't sure if any factors (such as cycling, or a DRE the doc did just before the blood samples were taken) that may cause some variability in results would have caused that much of a deviation, so I called back and booked the MRI, which the soonest date available was in 2 weeks time. Just trying to prepare myself for the worst, but also try to gauge how likely a PSA level of 3.5 is of being cancer (I have two weeks to kill, while trying to not freak out!). I called my dad to ask him if he knew his PSA level and it was less than 1, so I don't think prostate cancer is in the genes. Would appreciate any insight, thanks!

I am 55.

I have blood tests, for other medical stuff, every 6 months.

I have added the PSA to the list for a few years already.

Cycling has not impacted my PSA levels.  Doubt this is the reason for your reading.  Sorry.

Listen to @Prince Albert Cycles

Let's hope it was just a spike .....  in any event, EARLY DETECTION saves lives !

5 hours ago, INDABUSCHE said:

I am 64 and have gone for a PSA every year for years. The PSA level has risen progressively over the years (normal) however when it went in excess of 4.3 I was referred to a Urologist. Digital test and ultra scan confirmed an enlarged prostrate 4 x normal size. Immediately went on to meds (Uromaxco) and prostrate has reduced to 2x. PSA level 2.2. Continue to be monitored every 6 months. This diagnosis was established 14 months ago.

Continue to ride like a demon.

Best of luck 

Usually they prescribe hormones I think for an enlarged prostate. Uromax is to help you pee. I had a PSA of around 5 and my first Urologist put me on 3 consecutive courses of antibiotic for a supposed infection. I consulted a new Urologist at Donny Gordon and he, after another PSA test and the usual Urine tests scheduled a biopsy which tested cancer positive. Thereafter he scheduled an MRI to determine if it had spread, which thankfully it hadn't. It would have spread as the tumour is/was on the lymph system. I opted for Brachytherapy in May last year. My PSA continues to drop and is around under 2 and I go for 3 then 6 monthly PSA tests.

Recovery is now much better but my reaction to the radioactive seeds was tough for the first 8 months.

If Prostate cancer spreads it's usually to the bones or lungs so it's good to deal with it quickly.

BUT, like my son says, "Prostate cancer is the Citi Golf of cancers". If you're going to get cancer, it's the better one to have.

I'm happy to try and shed some light for anyone that needs and I'm relieved to be in remission.

I had 3 DRE's and there was nothing detected and sonar didn't detect anything either. Biopsy is the best option for certainty 

Edited by love2fly

I am told that there is significant evidence that indicates that if someone is going to have a biopsy for testicular or prostrate cancer, the biopsy itself can exacerbate the spread of cancer. The Mayo Clinic have noted in number of cases the potential spread may very well have occurred though a biopsy. In other words, the cancer may have been dormant for many years. It’s suggested that one should  have a sonar scan and / or a high intensity MRI scan. 

if there any medical professionals that know a lot about this information, please, could you share your thoughts on this? 

thank you 🙏 

Edited by Forthefun

7 hours ago, Forthefun said:

I am told that there is significant evidence that indicates that if someone is going to have a biopsy for testicular or prostrate cancer, the biopsy itself can exacerbate the spread of cancer. The Mayo Clinic have noted in number of cases the potential spread may very well have occurred though a biopsy. In other words, the cancer may have been dormant for many years. It’s suggested that one should  have a sonar scan and / or a high intensity MRI scan. 

if there any medical professionals that know a lot about this information, please, could you share your thoughts on this? 

thank you 🙏 

Yes I have  heard of this happening. I realy would like to know more about this phenomenon. Is there any reliable information or research that has been done? 

It is recommended that when  you do the PSA test 24 hours prior to the test you must refrain from any cycling and sex because it will influence the results.

I am 70 now and went for the PSA test annually since I was 40. PSA count was always above 5. Went for a MRI 2023 and a tumor was discovered. Biopsy was done GPS style and luckily cancer did not spread outside my prostate. My prostate was removed robotic way after SA champs in Oudshoorn. 1 year later my life is back to normal. Finished Argus this year on Mtb 4.49 in I Love Boobies colours.

That’s a good story to listen to. I’m not saying anyone should not have a biopsy, but I’m just saying there may be possibly better diagnostic methods that are not invasive and do not offset the cancer possibility like a biopsy. Does anyone know about this?

Edited by Forthefun