Yolande de Villiers sanctioned for anti-doping rule violation

News bot

No you apply for an emergency TUE

Imagine if someone travelled from Europe and spent a boat load entering and getting to the Epic and then had a shellfish allergy or got stung by a bee the night after the first day..and then you really expect him to withdraw from the event?

Yes, Then I can move one place up  :whistling:

And anyone from Europe entering the Epic does not spend a boat load because our money is cheap and it's way cheaper than being labeled a doper  :ph34r:

Look I'd say that is the right thing to do but it will never happen. The authorities will ask you why you did not use something else that's not on the banned list. Or as you said apply for a emergency TUE but the fact remains that you have to inform the people before you get tested because if they test you before you informed them it's just going to look bad and we will probably have the same discussion on the HUB but on a thread dedicated to you.

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the folk who want to compare non-competitive sports persons with professional athletes... if you are racing for prize money or category positions, then know what you are putting into your body and know you need to be careful. You can't just pop a tablet and hope for the best.

But if you ride a Nissan Trailseeker or the Cycle challenge for fun and feature nowhere in the results, I frankly don't care what medicines you take, or even if you are sad enough to dope for that matter. This is not about amateurs, this is about protecting the clean professionals.

SAIDS frankly are a bunch of retards in my view for wasting even one doping test on anyone outside for the competitive ranks... and then they complain they don't have funds to test enough  :stupid:

Edited by Andrew Steer

I don't understand the folk who want to compare non-competitive sports persons with professional athletes... if you are racing for prize money or category positions, then know what you are putting into your body and know you need to be careful. You caught just pop a tablet and hope for the best.

But if you ride a Nissan Trailseeker or the Cycle challenge for fun and feature nowhere in the results, I frankly don't care what medicines you take, or even if you are sad enough to dope for that matter. This is not about amateurs, this is about protecting the clean professionals.

SAIDS frankly are a bunch of retards in my view for wasting even one doping test on anyone outside for the competitive ranks... and then they complain they don't have funds to test enough :stupid:

Double standards

The difference is they are professionals. As in, this is their profession. Their job is to study the list and know what is going into their bodies. If they go to a doctor and can't be bothered to either get them to cross reference the list or check it themselves then they aren't fulfilling the criteria of their profession.

We are all cyclists at the end of the day. We can't cry for a clean sport but break the rules ourselfs just because we are not being paid to cycle. The same rules that governs them, governs us. 

We are all cyclists at the end of the day. We can't cry for a clean sport but break the rules ourselfs just because we are not being paid to cycle. The same rules that governs them, governs us. 

So the 60yr old Oom riding a 7hour 94.7 must get a TUE for his heart meds...

That makes so much of sense  :blink:

Plenty of judges here. Tell me honestly how many of you check the medication that your using against the WADA banned list? You will be surprised how many of your medication actually contain banned substances. How many of you use high blood pressure medication and those that do have you applied for TUE? If not your a doper just like the rest of the people caught. You may not be competing for a podium but doper you are none the less. 

I check against the list.  I tell my doctor to follow WADA, and I still check against the list.  I have in the past applied for a TUE for a chronic (long term) problem.

If I'm so sick that I take meds that are banned I don't race, and I ask the doctor for the half life; and I've still queried SAIDS on using out-of-competition drugs.

I also check supplements (including normal race drinks) against the list.  Big, huge minefield; and most ingredients have multiple names, so you have to check each ingredient three times.  Race on biltong and water, and I'm not sure about the biltong.

I even check the free stuff in the goodie bags against the list.

I believe the TUE process is there for good reason.  Most drugs were created to fix medical problems; not for doping.  These are real medical problems that need real treatments.

In SA the TUE process takes a few weeks unless you've got a doctor that knows all the ins and outs, so it's pretty much only useful for chronic problems.

(currently I don't even have a vets license -- and don't race -- due to a medical condition, but I do all those things when I've got a license.)

So the 60yr old Oom riding a 7hour 94.7 must get a TUE for his heart meds...

That makes so much of sense  :blink:

If he wants to play by the rules then yes he must.

Such a Oom will be a role model for other cyclists and I will have much respect for people like him!

Hey.. this is not so easy.. see celestamine is prohibited during competition so say someone get stung by a bee or eats shellfish at a restaurant and its during a stage race and has never before had a reaction but just as luck would have it gets a reaction and take a celestamine and the gets tested later that evening. .white and black that person then took a prohibited substance no?

It will be your responsibility to inform the necessary people immediately after taking such medication. And the right thing to do is to withdraw from the race. 

Being allergic to bee-stings and having been stung during a race, I can tell you that I only did two things after getting stung:

1) get the adrenaline out of my pocket and the needle into my leg before anaphylactic shock set in ; and

2) flag down a bakkie and get taken to the closest medical facility.

The same rules maybe but not the same stringency. There is a lot more leeway for a casual participant who in all likelihood has ingested something by mistake than there is for a professional. Likewise, a doctor is held to much higher consequences for their misdiagnosis than your friend who suggests that maybe you just have a cold and should drink a cup of concrete.

Not really .....

I am an amateur, I ride my bike cause I like to do it, I dont get paid. Part of my day job is to follow company's protocols and procedures. If I value the roof over my head and food on my table, I will make sure I adhere to them. The "pro" cyclists need to do the same. I won't jeopardize my livelyhood, so should they.

I am not prepared to make my hobby a job....If they test me and I took X Y or Z because I had a sore throat....so be it, I am a doper, the rules are clear. 

I don't understand the folk who want to compare non-competitive sports persons with professional athletes... if you are racing for prize money or category positions, then know what you are putting into your body and know you need to be careful. You can't just pop a tablet and hope for the best.

Because we are all governed by the same rules...what is good for the goose is good for the gander.....Baaisiklist is a classic example of this....just quite comical...and someone did mention that the comic train arrived....how we all sit here with a moral chip....yet we are no more responsible for our own actions that the pro's....that is of course if we all believe in abiding by rules....

Silly question. What happens if a pro lady falls pregnant, let's say without her knowing.

(early stages!! No mental pics please!!!)

Would there be anomalies in the tests? High hormone levels...

How would this be treated?

It is Friday :ph34r:

I am an amateur, I ride my bike cause I like to do it, I dont get paid. Part of my day job is to follow company's protocols and procedures. If I value the roof over my head and food on my table, I will make sure I adhere to them. The "pro" cyclists need to do the same. I won't jeopardize my livelyhood, so should they.

I am not prepared to make my hobby a job....If they test me and I took X Y or Z because I had a sore throat....so be it, I am a doper, the rules are clear. 

I understand what you were implying....but I still don't get what you did there.....

The same rules maybe but not the same stringency. There is a lot more leeway for a casual participant who in all likelihood has ingested something by mistake than there is for a professional. Likewise, a doctor is held to much higher consequences for their misdiagnosis than your friend who suggests that maybe you just have a cold and should drink a cup of concrete.

Do you also complain about all the corruption and fraud being committed in our government but when you get into your car you break the speed limit and don't stop dead at stop signs?

Rules are rules. You break them then your wrong..........there's no gray area or any justification for your actions.