Yolande de Villiers sanctioned for anti-doping rule violation

News bot

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Boys Boys please !!

I am a doctor and the drug she tested positive for is Hydrochloric thiazide is it ?

Doctors give these out like jellytots for people with high blood pressure and water retention for whatever reason. 

If you look at the drugs out there that people are using this drug is like taking an  airgun to a nuclear war. It can not enhance sport performance ! I can also not see that this drug can completely mask the use of any other more sinister drugs.

AND - have you looked at the physique of this girl- Does she look as though she is using steroids? If she was using EPO or another form of blood doping the HCTZ will actually make the bloodtest worse as the tablet might dehydrate you and push your haematocrit up.

I knew a girl who was racing for South Africa oversees and she tested positive for some controlled substance. I will vouch for the integrity of this person BUT the way in which CSA handled the matter was atrocious! !   The first time she heard about the positive test was in the media. She quit cyling and it was a loss to the cyling fraternity in SA believe me .

Food for thought before you go killing this girl's reputation!

Given the "non performance enhancing" characteristics of this drug, and the extent of drugs that doctors freely prescribe for various ailments, I wonder how many average joe hubbers (also part of the lynch mob) take part in races whilst having banned substances floating around in their bloodstreams - unbeknowns to them?..... Nurofens, asthma pumps without TUE's.... etc etc etc etc.

Sure - just leave it to CSA and have this very good athlete who has been a brilliant ambassador to cyling stop the sport altogether.

I am sure CSA doesnt determine what is on the list of banned substance, they enforce the sanction once an athlete is caught. 

Bottomline, she was tested with a prohibited substance(no matter the amount of benefit). Its her job to ensure that she knows what goes in her body...part of being "pro"

What kind of sanction/ban is that then?

she competed in a big adventure race two weeks ago...good thing they didn't get a top 10 or might have caused a bit of a fuss (there was enough fuss elsewhere to worry about)

Boys Boys please !!

I am a doctor and the drug she tested positive for is Hydrochloric thiazide is it ?

Doctors give these out like jellytots for people with high blood pressure and water retention for whatever reason. 

If you look at the drugs out there that people are using this drug is like taking an  airgun to a nuclear war. It can not enhance sport performance ! I can also not see that this drug can completely mask the use of any other more sinister drugs.

AND - have you looked at the physique of this girl- Does she look as though she is using steroids? If she was using EPO or another form of blood doping the HCTZ will actually make the bloodtest worse as the tablet might dehydrate you and push your haematocrit up.

I knew a girl who was racing for South Africa oversees and she tested positive for some controlled substance. I will vouch for the integrity of this person BUT the way in which CSA handled the matter was atrocious! !   The first time she heard about the positive test was in the media. She quit cyling and it was a loss to the cyling fraternity in SA believe me .

Food for thought before you go killing this girl's reputation!

Hi Kabous. I want to agree with you, but in all honesty, I don't think you are helping your own case.

First problem, "I am a doctor" to make us believe that you talk from some more enlightened place and that you have the final say. What kind of doctor? Have you studied sports science? You know why the prohibited drugs are on the list?

Second, you include yourself when you say "Doctors give these out like jellytots" which doesn't give me confidence in your profession. Do you do the same?

Third problem, you say you are a doctor, which I would think includes some or other scientific processes, but you want to use something like "have you looked at the physique of this girl" to prove a point?

Fourth, you mention a girl you know who HAS doped and got caught, but you will still vouch for her integrity? And it's a loss for the cycling fraternity? How does that work? But I agree with you that CSA doesn't handle or do anything well, except spending the budget.

But remember two things, it's Friday so take everything with a pinch of salt, and I actually agree to some level with you.

Given the "non performance enhancing" characteristics of this drug, and the extent of drugs that doctors freely prescribe for various ailments, I wonder how many average joe hubbers (also part of the lynch mob) take part in races whilst having banned substances floating around in their bloodstreams - unbeknowns to them?..... Nurofens, asthma pumps without TUE's.... etc etc etc etc.

So true Rattlesnake......it's so easy to take the moral high ground and just vent......a lynch mob as you called it.....like a little gang.....I am actually beginning to believe that the noisiest anti-doping lynch mob are as guilty as the athletes they are trying to crucify......but that is just my opinion........

Sure - just leave it to CSA and have this very good athlete who has been a brilliant ambassador to cyling stop the sport altogether.

Considering that this athlete is either a doper or just plain dumb and cannot read medicine labels, either way she fits into our countries current ethos of deceit and applauding stupidity.

So true Rattlesnake......it's so easy to take the moral high ground and just vent......a lynch mob as you called it.....like a little gang.....I am actually beginning to believe that the noisiest anti-doping lynch mob are as guilty as the athletes they are trying to crucify......but that is just my opinion........

As you say those are the ones that often concern me the most  :ph34r:

Hi Kabous. I want to agree with you, but in all honesty, I don't think you are helping your own case.

First problem, "I am a doctor" to make us believe that you talk from some more enlightened place and that you have the final say. What kind of doctor? Have you studied sports science? You know why the prohibited drugs are on the list?

Second, you include yourself when you say "Doctors give these out like jellytots" which doesn't give me confidence in your profession. Do you do the same?

Third problem, you say you are a doctor, which I would think includes some or other scientific processes, but you want to use something like "have you looked at the physique of this girl" to prove a point?

Fourth, you mention a girl you know who HAS doped and got caught, but you will still vouch for her integrity? And it's a loss for the cycling fraternity? How does that work? But I agree with you that CSA doesn't handle or do anything well, except spending the budget.

But remember two things, it's Friday so take everything with a pinch of salt, and I actually agree to some level with you.

The fact that he says "I am a doctor" is that he has most likely dealt with hubbers before and knows that the only possible way to maybe sometimes get through to them is to try and justify his qualifications......he was also not debating whether the drug is or should not be on the banned substance list but he is debating the drug and its merits in terms of performance enhancement....

Doctors give out Augmentum like jellytots too........that and many other down the road drugs when the congestion season hits......do we now distrust all of them ?

The physique could be a very good example and well worth debating.....not all scientific processes get completed in a laboratory.....

Vouching for someone else's integrity is his prerogative.......nobody knows the circumstances around the "supposed doping" incident.....

Lastly.....roll on Friday.......

Probably loads....hell I don't know exactly what goes into the woolies doughnuts(favourite pre ride meal of mine) but then again...its not my job. If the doping agencies are struggling to keep the sharp end clean I doubt the focus is on the masses and considering the costs involved in testing people resources better applied. 

Probably loads....hell I don't know exactly what goes into the woolies doughnuts(favourite pre ride meal of mine) but then again...its not my job. If the doping agencies are struggling to keep the sharp end clean I doubt the focus is on the masses and considering the costs involved in testing people resources better applied. 

But is it not that kind of thinking that got a hubber banned from Epic for life?

Also how much money and sponsorship have the joe soap made from cycling?

It's the pro's job. Not joe publics job to check if what they are taking is prohibited.

Back to the ca(sa) analogy I harp on about. I have to track and register all my investments to make sure I am independent of my clients. Do joe soap public have to do this, no because they are not auditors and don't need to be independent. I am sure that many joe soaps would not be independent, but it doesn't matter. Like Joe soaps at cycle races...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fact that he says "I am a doctor" is that he has most likely dealt with hubbers before and knows that the only possible way to maybe sometimes get through to them is to try and justify his qualifications......he was also not debating whether the drug is or should not be on the banned substance list but he is debating the drug and its merits in terms of performance enhancement....

Doctors give out Augmentum like jellytots too........that and many other down the road drugs when the congestion season hits......do we now distrust all of them ?

The physique could be a very good example and well worth debating.....not all scientific processes get completed in a laboratory.....

Vouching for someone else's integrity is his prerogative.......nobody knows the circumstances around the "supposed doping" incident.....

Lastly.....roll on Friday.......

With all due respect, this is a typical troll post and I get the feeling you just wanted to argue.

It's Friday, so I won't go into more detail, except to say you haven't changed my mind one bit. Can't even say good try.

If you are a professional athlete, it is your job, your duty, as a professional athlete, as someone who gets tested for drugs regularly, to make sure any medication you take is safe...

There is an app, there is a website, there is a hotline. And there is also always the option to just err on the side of caution until you are sure. If you care the slightest about the way you make a living, then surely it's not rocket science to be careful with the medicines etc you consume.

Also how much money and sponsorship have the joe soap made from cycling?

It's the pro's job. Not joe publics job to check if what they are taking is prohibited.

Back to the ca(sa) analogy I harp on about. I have to track and register all my investments to make sure I am independent of my clients. Do joe soap public have to do this, no because they are not auditors and don't need to be independent. I am sure that many joe soaps would not be independent, but it doesn't matter. Like Joe soaps at cycle races...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thing is, last time I checked, the anti doping rules apply to joe soaps and pro's alike. Which means its all of our jobs to know whats on the banned substance list when competing in CSA sanctioned events. The rules apply to everyone, regardless of ability or where they finish in the field.

I'm just tired of the level of hypocrisy in cycling and amongst cycling commentators / fans. We know there is loads of doping going on in professional cycling (or at least we should), yet we worship superhuman performers..... until they get caught. Then and ONLY then, does the lynch mob come out to play..... This allows the UCI to occasionally hang out a scapegoat to dry and divert the public's attention away from the fact that most of the peleton are doping in one form or another.

And on hypocrisy, given that rules are rules - perhaps joe soaps should give some careful consideration to whats floating around in their bloodstreams whilst racing - because back marker or not, competing with a banned substance in your system makes you no better than Yolande, Rourke, Evans etc etc. Glass houses.