Yolande de Villiers sanctioned for anti-doping rule violation

News bot

indeed and in the major cycling markets I'd say there's truth in this.

Locally I don't believe it holds true. I believe a lot of the sponsorship comes from passionate individuals who just want to see someone wearing their brand in their favourite discipline (i.e. the tjommie tjiommie system).

And despite doping, I they are passionate enough about the sport they will continue to support even if not under the same brand.

You are probably right on this for the SA market. This and the Tjommie factor.

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

life insurance  and high risk sports..... :cursing:

Wow , thought only discovery owned that space.

how many people have died from moering off a mountain vs heart attacks, diabetes or general unhealthy lifestyle which the high risk sport helps prevent

We can do this the whole day.

Best brand ambassador I have seen lately. . Has gotto be Chris Hemsworth and Tag Heuer. . I was in JHB the other day and I nearly crashed my car when I saw that huge add. Good heavens.. I would buy my hubby a tag Heuer if I was guaranteed he would turn into that if he put it on.

....and I would buy a Scott bike if it turned into Jenny Rissveds after midnight :whistling:

post-57055-0-40318700-1465216566_thumb.jpg

"I have been a professional mountain biker since 2003, ridden the biggest events in the world and had many highs and lows. Tuesday’s news came as an all-time low in my career. What my teammate did was wrong and for that he will face the relevant punishment, as he was prepared to face by his own admission. - Kevin Evans

Its hypocritical to expect athletes to be held to different standards based on level of  professionalism.

in the corporate world the mail boy is held to the same ethical standards as the CEO.

Actually, the law does hold directors to a different standard to other employees.

Two small examples are that their share dealings in the company's shares need to be published as does there annual remuneration and how it is made up.

By the way, I think that all competitive cyclists, i.e. those that race in any category, Pro, Vets, Juniors, etc. should be held to the same standard. I think that this needs to be at a higher level than the standard expected from people who ride for fun.

The problem as I see it is that CSA had deemed EVERYBODY who rides in ANY event a "licenced" rider so there is no differentiation between those that race one another for a podium spot and those who race against the clock, their mates or themselves.

....and I would buy a Scott bike if it turned into Jenny Rissveds after midnight :whistling:

I once test rode a Scott Expert something or other that had so many handlebar-mounted levers on it that there could have been one to do that...

Best brand ambassador I have seen lately. . Has gotto be Chris Hemsworth and Tag Heuer. . I was in JHB the other day and I nearly crashed my car when I saw that huge add. Good heavens.. I would buy my hubby a tag Heuer if I was guaranteed he would turn into that if he put it on.

never heard of her

Well where is the synergy between:

Land Rover and the stormers

I can't comment on the rest, but this one is surely obvious.

Both are great for a while but sooner or later the metaphorical wheels come off and they grind to an ignominious halt.

What is worse, everyone who has invested his heart into a relationship with either one of them, knows deep down that he will be let down just he had gotten his hopes up that, this time, they will go all the way.

None to Gen: If you see a Tag Heuer for sale on the hub, steer clear...unless you really like You Magazine and paddle pool owner's manuals. And other dodgy stuff involving hangars...

Can anyone remember how long Barloworld were still in for before they got an early out?

Edited by Tumbleweed

Mmmmm...there were murmurings that Nolan doped to ride through an injury because he was told the sponsorship would be pulled if he took time off to heal. True or not, Neotel was looking for an excuse to pull out. The company originally said it would continue to support the academy.

I knew/know the manager of the sponsorship... the whole doping saga was a massively bitter pill for him to swallow. It was him that put the doping clause into the sponsorship contract, it was him that insisted they follow through with it (so lessons might be learnt) - sadly I'm not sure cyclists will ever learn.

You are quite correct on the academy not folding immediately though - it ran til the end of the contract if I recall.

are suicide bombers not proof that good people can be recruited to do bad things?

There has to be a certain level of crazy to strap on a bomber jacket. And I don't mean the ones with the orange on the inside that highschool kids wore 20 years ago.

I can't comment on the rest, but this one is surely obvious.

Both are great for a while but sooner or later the metaphorical wheels come off and they grind to an ignominious halt.

What is worse, everyone who has invested his heart into a relationship with either one of them, knows deep down that he will be let down just he had gotten his hopes up that, this time, they will go all the way.

whaaahaaa classic

There has to be a certain level of crazy to strap on a bomber jacket. And I don't mean the ones with the orange on the inside that highschool kids wore 20 years ago.

The ones strapping them on are usually a certain level of desperate; the ones who are handing them out are the crazies...

Edited by Tumbleweed

whaaahaaa classic

Listen, I know what I am talking about.

I am a Lions supporter and drive this ..............

post-50-0-00180700-1465230323_thumb.jpg