Yolande de Villiers sanctioned for anti-doping rule violation

News bot

Slightly off topic, but doping related...

Cycling’s biggest threat: Amateur doping

By Caley Fretz

Published Jun. 6, 2016 Updated Jun. 6, 2016

American cycling has a doping problem, and it’s no longer at the top.

The unintimidating blue polo shirts that U.S. Anti-Doping Agency testers wear must be terrifying to see for an athlete full of the substances they’re looking for... http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/06/feature/totally-amateur_408457

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Slightly off topic, but doping related...

Cycling’s biggest threat: Amateur doping

By Caley Fretz

Published Jun. 6, 2016 Updated Jun. 6, 2016

American cycling has a doping problem, and it’s no longer at the top.

The unintimidating blue polo shirts that U.S. Anti-Doping Agency testers wear must be terrifying to see for an athlete full of the substances they’re looking for... http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/06/feature/totally-amateur_408457

Good article, thanks.

The only thing I want to question is that they are not really talking about "amateurs" in the sense of funriders as we know it. "Category 1, 2, and 3 amateurs in the United States" is still serious racing and many of the cat 1's would give pros a go. Also, as far as I know they race for sponsored teams and prize money (like our VAs, VBs, etc.).

What do you think?

Good article, thanks.

The only thing I want to question is that they are not really talking about "amateurs" in the sense of funriders as we know it. "Category 1, 2, and 3 amateurs in the United States" is still serious racing and many of the cat 1's would give pros a go. Also, as far as I know they race for sponsored teams and prize money (like our VAs, VBs, etc.).

What do you think?

Here is how Cat racing works in the USA... http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=580

Because the USA is so much larger than RSA, they can have regional, state and national events. Category racing there is similar to our Vets except they race according to ability and not age.

Edit: UCI rules state that national champs is based on age groups, and not ability, which is the exception.

Cat 1 would be the equivalent to our local elites but not only them as there are Vets capable of racing with them.

Cat 5 is entry level point, equivalent to the open seeded bunches. Woman start in Cat 4.

To progress up a cat level, you would need to race a certain number of events and gain a certain number of points, based on your finish position relative to the number of participants in your start group.

For racing, it's quite a good system and one can understand why doping is high in these categories.

When CSA tried to implement it here in 2009, it was received well and not so well. The top end we're happy, but the old toppies refused to race against a younger guy that might not put in many hours of training. Remember the Vets Super Series? Cat 1-4.

Edited by geraldm24

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hold on, was she cleared or her dumping and ban or are we cheering sanctioned dopers now. Sometime I find it hard to see which way the wind blows on here with certain subjects. Flame an OP for raising dangerous riding practices, cheer on dopers.  :blink:

snap :thumbup: