Two cyclists killed in KZN

Vetseun

This whole incident is so tragic, and I can't imagine seeing two friends being killed in this manner. It is something that I think we all fear more than anything else. 

I suggest you take down the pics and any other "testimony" until this case has been concluded. We all appreciate your passion and willingness to share information, but I don't think it is worth any fallout. We all want justice for Richard and Jared, but lets let cooler heads prevail. If you have not done so, maybe ask for a 20 minute meeting with the prosecutor and show him/her your thoughts and pictures, explain Strava, cycling culture, etc. 

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i went to court this morning...no more comments or pics until after the trial.

Strength to you mate. Not pleasant in any way, shape or form.

This is really tragic. Basically any lawyer could cause our cops to look like idiots and the laws are such that evidence which is shaky or heresay and can be dislodged is not admissible. Pretty easy to do if you hire a guy who specializes in this and has years of experience and your forensic witnesses don't even bring their photos to the court.

Its why top criminal lawyers are paid so much.

The guy says he did not see them, that clearly means he was not paying attention?? ,He was probably falling asleep behind the wheel. You don't just hear a loud bang on your windscreen if you're focused and alert on the road and driving at a reasonably safe speed, that just doesn't happen.

Strength to you mate. Not pleasant in any way, shape or form.

2 things i can tell you...

after hearing what actually happened behind us that morning was a lot worse than what i pictured in my mind from the noise and sounds i could hear during the accident. 

the lawyer is picking at silly things like...the color of the kit...trying to make a point that they were not visible because their kit was more red and black (note for all the ninja cyclist)...and the other cyclists in the group ??? who were kitted out in bright yellow and blue...with flashing lights on the full back wheel (Jareds bike) ...under the saddles and on the back of some of our helmets...his comment that he didnt see us...OH MY GOD IS HE SURE HE ONLY HAD 4 DRINKS...eeeeeiiiiish...best you dont drive a black car with your lights on when he is around.

This is how these clever scumbag lawyers twist words to make witnesses look stupid.

I quote from the article above "He could also not explain why there was no debris at the alleged point of impact..."

They alleging that the point of impact was in the left hand lane. Well of course there is not going to be any impact debris in this lane because this is not where the point of impact was!! 

So these lawyers ask very subtle and deceptive questions which brings the credibility of the witness into question, casting doubt on their story.

isetech, please nail this b@st@rd if you take the stand!

They alleging that the point of impact was in the left hand lane.

I can see why the lawyer is trying to create doubt, but does it really matter in which lane the cyclists were ?

I think that even if they were in the left lane, the driver should have seen and missed them.

Edited by eddy

I can see why the lawter is trying to create doubt, but does it really matter in whi h la ne the cyclists were ?

I think that even if they were in the left lane, the driver should have seen and missed them.

This will work against the cyclists to some degree. I have heard non-cyclists latch onto this, and I just want to smack them over the head. When did we as a society decide cyclists riding in an emergency lane on a freeway is worse than reckless and drunken driving? 

I suppose the fact that they were on a freeway will be mentioned as a mitigating factor in sentencing if this guy is found guilty. But this is starting to head into victim blaming territory and is not productive. This comes down to degrees of culpability. The guy (from my view) is clearly guilty. Richard and Jared would be alive if it were not for the driver's actions. 

I can see why the lawter is trying to create doubt, but does it really matter in whi h la ne the cyclists were ?

Yes eddy, I think it does matter to a large degree which lane they were in and the defense is going to use every opportunity to discredit any witnesses testimony. Please, don't get me wrong, I am not in anyway defending the driver, but if the cyclists were in the left lane of the highway, then irrespective whether he was drunk or not, a court of law is probably going to favour the driver. The reason I say so is because it would be totally unexpected and the speed differential would give very little reaction time. I think the defense is going to make every effort to prove this, hence trying to create doubt about the position of impact. I also think the defense are going to use visibility to favour their client as well, which is why the are also casting doubt about the red flashing light! So prove poor visibility, left lane, huge speed differential, very little reaction time and this f*cker will walk free!

Edited by 6th Mass Extinction

I am sure I read somewhere that Isetech said they were in the yellow lane ...

He was there , hope his testimony (if called upon ) will clarify all these points .

We all know this lawyer is trying to win this case , however , no matter which way they try swing it , 2 cyclists were needlessly killed by a driver who , best case scenario was drunk and gets convicted as such , or worst case ( for the families and friends of the cyclists ) was negligent , and gets convicted as such .