Entries for exciting new Maluti Double90 Team Challenge open 9 March 2016

News bot

For everyone asking for this (pm's too)...here is a hint for the future...If you go under "segment search" you can find what ever your heart desires :D It kind works like Google, type in like "Maluti" or something like that and you will find anything/everything people has ever posted about it ...

attachicon.gifsegment.jpg

But for the lazy few of you....here, you can have my mates one (I hope he is okay with this... :ph34r:  :D )

https://www.strava.com/activities/533353111

Thanks for the lesson...but that would of course assume that a full segment exists (which was not the case a few days back). 

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never raced (or trained) in a team, so maybe the pro's here can give some comments on my thoughts below so I can know for the future....

So I was thinking during my long ride this past weekend (which I actually struggled with more than the Maluti route...due to poor week day training for sure) that if I was racing in a team that I would let the 'weaker riders' do all the work for the 1st 126km, protecting maybe 3 or 4 of the strongest riders. I would let them hide in the bunch all the way, saving all their energy up until the team gets into the Golden Gate (maybe even a bit further in). That is where a team will need 'fresh legs' to keep the average speed up. The team is big enough so the riders that did work would not be TOO tired to fall in behind these guys pace now.

Is/would this be typically something teams will do? 

I have never raced (or trained) in a team, so maybe the pro's here can give some comments on my thoughts below so I can know for the future....

So I was thinking during my long ride this past weekend (which I actually struggled with more than the Maluti route...due to poor week day training for sure) that if I was racing in a team that I would let the 'weaker riders' do all the work for the 1st 126km, protecting maybe 3 or 4 of the strongest riders. I would let them hide in the bunch all the way, saving all their energy up until the team gets into the Golden Gate (maybe even a bit further in). That is where a team will need 'fresh legs' to keep the average speed up. The team is big enough so the riders that did work would not be TOO tired to fall in behind these guys pace now.

Is/would this be typically something teams will do? 

In my limited experience at the DC, you normally have 4 or so very strong guys that does most of the work.  The weaker riders focus to finish on their own steam(all be it with almost no work at the front).  If you(as a strong rider) get to the end of the race and you don't have to push a weaker rider, it helps a lot. 

We went out with 3 girls I think and they did not work in front for the whole race.  We had 4 riders that were fit and able to pull their weight in front and then 2 or 3 gents that were very fit and they helped the weaker riders in the end by pushing them over the bumps.

But I think every team does things different.

Hope that makes sense?

Depends on a number of things:

Are you racing or is it a social to get everyone to finish?

If racing, how many do you need across the line?

Normally we protect the ladies and they won't do any work. 

Stronger guys will give ladies assistance up the climbs, if necessary.

Guys dropped must make their own way to stops or limp to finish.

At DC from 160km focus is on getting 6 riders across the line, dropped riders must get to finish on their own. 

Also consider what happens in case of puncture/mechanical. 

Have a plan. 

Most of all, enjoy the ride. 

Definitely worth a trip, its a beautiful area. My wife and I love staying at the Glen Reenen rest camp in Golden Gate.

Would also love to do this ride, but unfortunately my riding buddies consist of me, myself and I 99% of the time.

Would also like to do this, but struggling to really get into a team for events like this since moving to PTA.

My team from Bloemfontein I always did the DC with will be there though.

So I was away at sterkfontein dam last week and of course had a bike with me so I decided to go to clarens the one day just to check the area out as iv'e never ridden there before. I drove there and did some riding and drove back but all I can say is with 130 odd km in the legs golden gate is going to hurt majority of us. I had a hard day of MTBing the day before so legs where a little tired but it was the first bit of riding I did that day and its proper climbing. Anyway I cant wait.

So I was away at sterkfontein dam last week and of course had a bike with me so I decided to go to clarens the one day just to check the area out as iv'e never ridden there before. I drove there and did some riding and drove back but all I can say is with 130 odd km in the legs golden gate is going to hurt majority of us. I had a hard day of MTBing the day before so legs where a little tired but it was the first bit of riding I did that day and its proper climbing. Anyway I cant wait.

How was the wind? Just curious if it's a constant factor to consider, or whether I just chose a bad day... :cursing:

How was the wind? Just curious if it's a constant factor to consider, or whether I just chose a bad day... :cursing:

hahahahaha! was just about to ask the same thing!

Can only mean we are scarred for life  :lol:  :lol:

hahahahaha! was just about to ask the same thing!

Can only mean we are scarred for life  :lol:  :lol:

On Wednesday last week there was virtually no wind to speak of while I was in clarens and golden gate(I rode from about 13h00 till 15h00). Was a very pleasant ride. In fact the whole of last week we had very little wind(I was staying at a lodge on sterkfontein dam which is about 90km from clarens). So lets hope you guys had a bad day and I had a normal day.

Whatever happens it is going to be a very interesting race/ride/event.

We still need to decide to go for a team finish or time for top 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have already discussed and decided on our strategy. I wont give anything away but all I can say is we have paid an entry fee so its a race!

Any idea about seeding? When will we get our start times?

I presume they will take all team members seeding and average them out?

Any idea about seeding? When will we get our start times?

I presume they will take all team members seeding and average them out?

Will be interesting to see who will be chasing who  :whistling: