Klapperkop & Groenkloof Safety Update

River Rat

Sadly these guys were released by SAPS Sunnyside before we could hold an ID parade. I am not going to let this go.

That's just depressing  :blush: 

Thanks for all your efforts on this, even as a Joburger it was a trail I really used to enjoy heading too...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly these guys were released by SAPS Sunnyside before we could hold an ID parade. I am not going to let this go.

What the hell? Do you know why they released them so quickly?  Reports I saw said the couple that was robbed Identified them.  No wonder they keep coming back if nothing happens to them.  This is so sad.  Will you keep us posted please?

I see two thugs were arrested yesterday after mugging some visitors... glad to hear the security are being pro-active and slowly winning the battle  :thumbup:

Could you clarify as to where this happened?

Why?

Because people are still getting mugged and the perps and being prosecuted, you have to go in big groups or risk it on your own

And even then you're not tougher than a bullet.

We were ten enjoying the trails on Sunday. Couple of hikers and other cyclists were seen. After the rains it is beautiful.

As a rule we do not ride this or Voortrekker or Klapperkop alone. I think Groenkloof could be as busy as Rosemary/Red Barn with a decent place to eat and some sense of safety. The huge trees at the braai areas is awesome and we love the trails!

Some good news the suspects have been located and are under arrest. What we need now is for any recent victims to contact me so that we can facilitate the ID parade.

Were these okes released again after their second arrest?  I see Wessel Botha was mugged their this morning...

Were these okes released again after their second arrest? I see Wessel Botha was mugged their this morning...

Mind to share the link?

• 1 month later...

I got this as a WhatsApp from a friend today. I have edited out the name and person who sent it. Pop me a DM if you want his details.

attachicon.gifIMG_20200219_091915.jpg

Just a correction it is one suspect in custody and he is the kingpin. We need to put this guy away so please if you or someone you know has been attacked and you have opened a case please contact me so that we can get you to an ID parade. This guy has already been released twice because witnesses don't come forward. I can't stress how frustrating it is to everyone involved when we catch the perpetrators and we can't follow through with prosecutions.

Just a correction it is one suspect in custody and he is the kingpin. We need to put this guy away so please if you or someone you know has been attacked and you have opened a case please contact me so that we can get you to an ID parade. This guy has already been released twice because witnesses don't come forward. I can't stress how frustrating it is to everyone involved when we catch the perpetrators and we can't follow through with prosecutions.

Is there a number (yourself of an officer in charge of this matter) that we can share with local clubs to ask people that has open cases to contact or should they contact the police station where they opened the case?  I know a lot of Trailwolf members were attacked on Klapperkop earlier this year so perhaps one can get in touch with them.

Is there a number (yourself of an officer in charge of this matter) that we can share with local clubs to ask people that has open cases to contact or should they contact the police station where they opened the case?  I know a lot of Trailwolf members were attacked on Klapperkop earlier this year so perhaps one can get in touch with them.

We are a bit wary of the mismanagement by SAPS so I'll PM you the contact details of the guy that did the citizens arrest he is trying to coordinate the ID parade to make sure it happens.