Absa Cape Epic 2017 early bird entries gone in 9 seconds

News bot

yeah. Patrick. In his own words - they're ****ed. 

And to boot, I know now why they didn't use Cobra. The large majority of those riding the event wouldn't have been able to handle it, based on the shortcuts and requests for removal of features. 

Strange that the route description and profile showed the Cobra. Not that I know what it looks like but we certainly didn't ride anything on the final day that demanded loads of concentration from us dirt roadies. The Tulbagh sections on the other hand had my eyes wide open. Was very thankful that I did Tankwa as prep. 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange that the route description and profile showed the Cobra. Not that I know what it looks like but we certainly didn't ride anything on the final day that demanded loads of concentration from us dirt roadies. The Tulbagh sections on the other hand had my eyes wide open. Was very thankful that I did Tankwa as prep. 

There were tech sections in Tulbach? Where?

It's a lekker fun section. As you get to the top of Spykers hill on Hoogekraal, there's 2 options (and I think Epic created a 3rd, but whatever)

You come around that last switchback (just a couple after the fence crossing) and there's a fork. Cobra on the left, and a continuation of the climb on the right. Cobra goes down again on a fairly technical piece of single track, laden with small jumps and rocks. It's another ~250m of descending & climbing and 4 km or so altogether. 

The other option is to carry on straight, and then hook a left into a small section of loose single track, which takes you immediately into a contour hugging climb. 

I suspect (based on the TV footage) that you didn't take any of those options, rather just continuing straight over the crest of the climb straight to the top of Spyker's hill, and then went into the singletrack which has the switchbacks and WidowMaker.  

All 3 options end up at the same point, but with different degrees of technical difficulty. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

2017 BC bike race time?

I took a lesson or two from Peach.... and somehow I have been convinced to buy a long travel bike....

Don't think I'm ready, will need lessons and a proper trail bike before I even think about it. 

Don't think I'm ready, will need lessons and a proper trail bike before I even think about it. 

Ping Peaches - use the momsen and go from there - I took my SS.... :)

Might be the shortest but you failed to mention it was the most climbing per km and a lot more technical than before as this was the biggest issue people had regarding the previous routes, hence all the dehydration that took part as people had to work for every km and didn't had a lot of open district roads with free km's to work with. Oh I forgot, you didn't get a entry to do it, so you won't know, hence why I don't get it why you give such half comments.

Like the others said, if you don't have the money to participate don't come and moan here, create your own route make it affordable for everyone and do your own thing. I find it fascinating how people these days like to sit behind their keyboards and complain about everything just to have it their way. I take my hat off to Kevin Vermaak for doing what he did, making his money and that he can continue to increase the fee and demand is most definitely still there to do it with record sales.

Congratulations on completing your first Cape Epic.

Thanks for your post, let me address some of the highlights from your post:

"it was the most climbing per km"

Yes, one meter more per km compared to 2013. Wow!

"a lot more technical than before as this was the biggest issue people had regarding the previous routes"

These people you referring to completed all the previous epics?

"Oh I forgot, you didn't get a entry to do it, so you won't know, hence why I don't get it why you give such half comments."

What do I know hey.

"sit behind their keyboards"

I prefer being called a couch potato.

I do respect Mr Vermaak kudos to him. He did put SA mtb on the international map.

Tell me Dominik, what's your opinion regarding the Cape Epic gps tracking rule?

post-4329-0-50015400-1458745951_thumb.jpg

Edited by nathrix ® ©™

Why don't we get Hannele's opinion about the toughness of this ACE 2016? 

She is one of a handful of people who can actually give a real answer....

The rest of us should just shut up I think..

Tell me Dominik, what's your opinion regarding the Cape Epic gps tracking rule?

Having been on the coal face regarding permissions related to access for MTB, I'll say that it's a darn good thing that this rule is there and is being enforced. We have enough rogue riders already stuffing land access up for us without everyone getting downloadable route info and "riding the epic"

Having been on the coal face regarding permissions related to access for MTB, I'll say that it's a darn good thing that this rule is there and is being enforced. We have enough rogue riders already stuffing land access up for us without everyone getting downloadable route info and "riding the epic"

There was live gps tracking on every stage where anyone could have captured the route information if they wanted to.

There was live gps tracking on every stage where anyone could have captured the route information if they wanted to.

yeah, but that's not the point. If you had recorded it, then they wouldn't have to screen cap the entire route as and when the screen changed. Point is, if you create a downloadable GPX file or other tracking file, which you can use to navigate across private land, that IS trespassing. People have lost existing MTB trails for less. 

With the live tagging, you have to manually plot the route on google earth or another geo-tagging device if you want to plug it into your gps and create a route...