Advice on flats

BaGearA

I have been riding on clips ever since i started mtb'ing but recently I have been thinking of buying flats because i hear the ride is more satisfying/inspires confidence and looks cool ect. ect. ect.

Now i don't just want to bite the bullet and buy super expensive pedals to begin with ( Just incase I don't like them)

Is there anybody that can recommend a cheap(relatively) set that aren't to bad just to start out with.................or I if anybody has an old set they don"t use I'l trade you a case of beer.

Can you also advise me on

1) Which ones do you have

2) price

3)experince

4)availibility of replacement parts

5) Other things I may want to know 

Thanks Happy trails

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Second the giant flats, I use them on one of my bikes and they good value for money.

Got chromag scarabs on the other bike and they'll gladly send you to hospital for stitches if they bite you.

Edited by Fr33rider

My experience: got a pair of saints last weekend. Rode it with running shoes while waiting for my 5-10s. Big difference. Also changed 720 handlebar to an 800. So much more control, unbelievable. Got the 5-10s today. The biggest improvement to my riding since I dumped the xc bike for a 125mm trail bike. Ok, I will have to learn to bunny hop and not 'pronk', but i cleared jumps down gspot which I haven't done properly before. Time for progression...

You'll have to focus on your pedal efficiency though...remember to scrape the sh*t off your sole with every stroke in the climbs.

I'm thinking of getting a cheap pair of flats for my second bike

I went from these to cleats, they came standard with my GT however once I changed my son took them so they're no longer available, they are very comfortable as they're broad, I've seen them marketed as bmx pedals.

post-59118-0-16333600-1458844187_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Big Ray

I went from these to cleats, they came standard with my GT however once I changed my son took them so they're no longer available, they are very comfortable as they're broad, I've seen them marketed as bmx pedals.

These are kaaaaak. Throw them in the bin. You need something with proper pins.

I've been riding with a pair of Shimano Saints for about a year now. My laaitie has been using Giant flats for about the same time. Both still going strong. I am biased towards the Saints, but the Giants are tough as nails too.

The saints are awsome and if can i would get them. I have an old pair if mongoose pedals that i started with but they are ***.

Just buy the Saints and get it over with. Then there is no need to upgrade down the line. Shimano pedals will survive even if you are the fattest hack in the world

Best advise, buy saints

Don't focus too much on the pedals. They're really only as good as the shoes your use them with. Which is also the main cost to consider here. 

My Hope pedals cost more than my Five Tens  :ph34r:  

Then my Spank pedals are R2k now too  :w00t:

Edited by Robodog