Wheel building

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

One day I'll get a valve hole aligned like that .... or not 🫣

I the rear is a few degrees off. Hub manufacturers don’t always line up logos with spike holes properly and that is soooo frustrating! 

• 4 weeks later...

I was lucky enough to have been commissioned to build these wheels this week.

I don't always have the opportunity to add tyres and brake discs but I had a very cooperative customer :)

These new Hope Pro5 hubs are really nice - the main improvement, for me, over the Pro4's is the reduced friction in the freehub mechanism.

Lekker né?

South XC Hope Pro5.png

I just had a wheelset built up with Pro 5's and Race Race ARC 30 (alu) rims.
DT Swiss spokes seem to be in short supply, so went with double butted Pillar spokes and brass nipples.

That rear hub sounds so good!

2 hours ago, splat said:

DT Swiss spokes seem to be in short supply, so went with double butted Pillar spokes and brass nipples.

Pillar make great spokes 

18 hours ago, splat said:

I almost only use Pillar spokes. 

Very similar to DT anyways, if not identical.

Yes, the new Pro5 hubs are sweet-sounding for sure!

I have a Mavic R Sys rear wheel that has a very short spin if you know what I mean?

when I spin it up I can also hear a soft sound that sounds like it catching on something, what is this a telltale sign of? Bearing replacement required perhaps? 
The bearings were replaced about a year ago and I generally don’t do much riding in the rain. 

8 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

I have a Mavic R Sys rear wheel that has a very short spin if you know what I mean?

when I spin it up I can also hear a soft sound that sounds like it catching on something, what is this a telltale sign of? Bearing replacement required perhaps? 
The bearings were replaced about a year ago and I generally don’t do much riding in the rain. 

Bearings Yes.

44 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

Maybe a drop of mineral oil on the inner rubber freehub seal and on the bushes. 

2 hours ago, cadenceblur said:

Strip it and Feel the Bearings If one is shot you will be able to feel the Rough Usually very Easy to Replace but The LBS also needs Business. 

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes bearings are pressed in a bit too tight and this can cause the dragging you describe. I see this most of the time in freehubs, which have a hollow spacer tube between the inner and outer bearing inside races.

On 10/14/2023 at 2:35 PM, cadenceblur said:

Could be a missing spacer, could be too much preload, could be a bad bearing. The only way to find out is to strip it and see.

• 3 months later...

My friends at Spank gave me a set of rims and hubs to build up, and this was the result:

Spank 359 Vibrocore rims on their Hex Drive hubs with double butted Pillar spokes and green anodised nipples.

There's no freehub installed because the buyer of these wheels will specify which type they need.

Let me know what you think!

5C8DCA4B-5EB3-481A-950F-CF85BA980B7F.jpg

27A5B583-FE53-414E-963E-74124C1D23FB.jpg

814E4E86-4DC5-483B-998A-518D39E993B1.jpg

A95D0290-C76D-437A-9669-5392D1065C85.jpg

4 hours ago, nick_the_wheelbuilder said:

My friends at Spank gave me a set of rims and hubs to build up, and this was the result:

Spank 359 Vibrocore rims on their Hex Drive hubs with double butted Pillar spokes and green anodised nipples.

There's no freehub installed because the buyer of these wheels will specify which type they need.

Let me know what you think!

5C8DCA4B-5EB3-481A-950F-CF85BA980B7F.jpg

27A5B583-FE53-414E-963E-74124C1D23FB.jpg

814E4E86-4DC5-483B-998A-518D39E993B1.jpg

A95D0290-C76D-437A-9669-5392D1065C85.jpg

They’re amazing.! 😍 Joker Wheelz 😍

Just finished a nice carbon gravel wheelset with Hope Pro5 hubs and South Industries GX rims.
Hope you like 'em.

DSC_2105.jpg.a4ffa3cdbcd52e4f772c79499d44bd27.jpg

DSC_2133.jpg

DSC_2128.jpg

DSC_2120.jpg

DSC_2118.jpg

Edited by nick_the_wheelbuilder