Name and shame the litterbugs

Pall Catt

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you care that much about the environment and biorecyling then you would obviously have your own compost heap at home so your statement is mute.

Ok So everyone without a compost heap at home may not have an opinion on this matter. Thanks 

Agreed, its a national tragedy

We have stopped going anywhere because of all the banana peels all over the place

ITS SHOCKING

OH THE HUMANITY

Apparently the piels have gotten so bad people are now leaving South Africa because of them

Ok So everyone without a compost heap at home may not have an opinion on this matter. Thanks 

Those that can - do. Those that can't - talk about it.

Only one of those options results in change.

Even over here where we get free government issued biowaste bags that go into dedicated biowaste collectors that are collected by the municipality to turn into biogas and fertiliser there are rumours that a fair amount just gets burnt along with regular trash.

:clap:

Is it ok to throw a banana peel under the next banana tree you ride past? Especially in kzn, they are all over the place.

Avos aren't vegan because they use forced migration of bees....

Avocados are plants. Thus, vegan. 

Do producers sometimes use bees for pollination? Yes. Does such migration have a negative impact on bee colonies? That can be the case sometimes. However, not all avocado plantations are pollinated in this way. 

Further, research conducted in Mexico (the largest avo producing country) has shown bees are not the only pollinators of avocado trees: 

In a  cultivated  avocado orchard  in southern  Mexico we found  that  three  major  insect  groups  were  attracted  in significant  numbers to  flowers, namely  non-native bees  (A. mellifera)  and flies  (C.  megacephala)  and  native wasps  (B. mellifica).  Similar  values  were  found  for  the  pollinator performance of  both, honey bees  and flies; but  wasps were less important for avocado pollination on this particular site, possible a result of their lower numbers. 

Regardless  these  differences,  the indices  of  pollen  deposition  (PD)  on  virgin  stigmas  were similar  for  all three  taxa.  Yet when  the values  of PD were combined with FC, it  was evident that  the honey  bees and flies  were  equally  important  for  avocado  pollination  and more  important compared  with  wasps. Nevertheless,  when considered together, flies and wasps could have  had  a  wider FC and  overall importance compared  with the  honey bees. Such a combined effect of flies and wasps is relevant if  and when honey bees are attracted to nearby blossoms other than avocado. 

Don't use Facebook videos of a British TV show as a source of facts. 

You guys had to start for an Vegan to reply

Let's just enjoy our braai's with amazing steaks on it and leave the vegans out of all

Do producers sometimes use bees for pollination? Yes. Does such migration have a negative impact on bee colonies? That can be the case sometimes. However, not all avocado plantations are pollinated in this way. 

Further, research conducted in Mexico (the largest avo producing country) has shown bees are not the only pollinators of avocado trees: 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/292712387_The_contribution_of_honey_bees_flies_and_wasps_to_avocado_Persea_americana_pollination_in_southern_Mexico

Ha ha..I lay my trust in QI facts