Name and shame the litterbugs

Pall Catt

If people are willing to produce a list of known offenders, I have no problems having their names read out at the start of the race in November.

No banning them, but rather the shaming route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do it.  Just one way of trying to stop this inconsiderate skum behavior.

I think ORGANISERS should play a more active roll in this.  Banners at the start, water tables, entry forms, name and shame if caught, banning from  events.  I hate the litter bugs everywhere.

Look at Durban beachfront in the mornings over week ends?  Makes me furious.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If people are willing to produce a list of known offenders, I have no problems having their names read out at the start of the race in November.

No banning them, but rather the shaming route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think you will have to insist people ride with gopro's to have photographic evidence otherwise it just becomes he said, they said/they deny.

An what is to stop someone abusing the system, you don't like a guy because of his riding style or he always beats you or just because... so you just start listing his race number to get him banned or shamed??... it could escalate into deformation of character.

Sorry it isn't going to work, irrespective of what anyone says... you have no proof unless you have video proof.

Think you will have to insist people ride with gopro's to have photographic evidence otherwise it just becomes he said, they said/they deny.

An what is to stop someone abusing the system, you don't like a guy because of his riding style or he always beats you or just because... so you just start listing his race number to get him banned or shamed??... it could escalate into deformation of character.

Sorry it isn't going to work, irrespective of what anyone says... you have no proof unless you have video proof.

It's a pity I didn't take a photo of the start batches after everyone had left.

Sure, we have people cleaning up but is it really necessary to take a gel in the start batch, let alone toss it on the ground afterwards?

These guys (*if there is evidence) should be made to clean up after 3 races before they can enter another race again. 

Hey guys,

Not sure if a platform like this already exists on the hub but it has been annoying me for some time to see how a few other riders thoughtlessly toss their wrappers and other litter out on the road/trail during a race. It really isn't that hard to just put it back in your pocket where you pulled it out of. I'm sure the topic of littering itself has been discussed at length and I'm sure the cycling community on the whole doesn't condone it so I cant think that this is just a matter of people needing to be educated, so how about starting to single out transgressors and name and shame them. I don't know if its always possible to obtain a name from a race number, but maybe even just reporting a race number on here so that if that person sees it and recognises it, perhaps they will feel some shame and think twice before they do it the next time.

I'll start:

Rider VA179 in Discovery Vitality shirt on the Emperors Palace Classic Road Race this past weekend blatantly tossed aside some wrapper. If you are reading this, please stop this ignorant behaviour :thumbdown: .

Hope you said something to him in the race.

I've called someone out in almost every race I've done (road) and most of the time when confronted the guys are a bit embarrassed and apologetic.

Its my absolute pet hate.

• 2 years later...

This guy threw his gel wrappers today. I asked him if he only litters in races,or if it is part of his normal life. Apparently he saves it for races...

[/quote

Wanker!

This guy threw his gel wrappers today. I asked him if he only litters in races,or if it is part of his normal life. Apparently he saves it for races...

I confronted a litter bug in the bunch at Stellenbosch cycle tour last year.

Checked they have a no litter rule.

Got all details and reported it to the race by email.

Followed up 2 weeks later.

Followed up 2 months later.

Still waiting for a reply.

Clearly coming here is a better option next time

Is there a process for reporting an offender?

2.16 A rider shall not dispose of any litter along the Medihelp Stellenbosch Cycle Tour course except in refuse bins.

It was just before the Val de Vie roundabout

I saw the rider in front of me drop his energy gel stub, then he just threw away the rest of it.

I was right behind him, it was no accident.

I challenged him on littering verbally

He said he will 'come back and pick it up later"

The rider was wearing a blue Toyota branded top.

He was in Group 2K - number is 2766, and his name was printed as "Peter"

I'm happy to cooperate in any process taken from here

Edited by dekker

I confronted a litter bug in the bunch at Stellenbosch cycle tour last year.

Checked they have a no litter rule.

Got all details and reported it to the race by email.

Followed up 2 weeks later.

Followed up 2 months later.

Still waiting for a reply.

Clearly coming here is a better option next time

Is there a process for reporting an offender?

2.16 A rider shall not dispose of any litter along the Medihelp Stellenbosch Cycle Tour course except in refuse bins.

It was just before the Val de Vie roundabout

I saw the rider in front of me drop his energy gel stub, then he just threw away the rest of it.

I was right behind him, it was no accident.

I challenged him on littering verbally

He said he will 'come back and pick it up later"

The rider was wearing a blue Toyota branded top.

He was in Group 2K - number is 2766, and his name was printed as "Peter"

I'm happy to cooperate in any process taken from here

I find it frustrating when no one gives a crap about rules because they know that there are no consequences to breaking them. Race organisers need to step up. Its for their own good.