Open letter by Vents regarding disc brakes **Graphic photos**

gummibear

The high speed riding in large tightly bunched groups definitely puts discs on road bikes in a different ballpark to mtb riding. Crashes in mtb are typically one or 2 men down at a time normally in a manner where they disperse over a wider area whereas road can be those heaving groups of riders smashing into each other and all landing in a mangled heap.

I have enormous respect for my disc rotors, I look at them gingerly when the bike is on the work stand and the wheels are spinning.

Another point is the speed a disc is rotating at on a wheel at 60km/hr during a crash vs the crank/chainring at that same moment (often near zero or not much above that).

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ventoso confirms disc brakes sliced his leg open, calls for action on ‘giant knives’

reminds me of this

http://www.sacredheart.edu/media/sacredheart/vista/EdwardScissorhandsAliciaProvenzano.jpg

Not gonna stop the use of disc brakes now...just hope they become safer ASAP.

Damn, that is one nasty wound!

UCI have suspended the use of disk brakes. .

Shees that was fast.. yet they still haven't done a thing about the motorbike issue

ok so I just read another article that says they are banned in professional cycling so me as a weekend warrior need not worry.

ok so I just read another article that says they are banned in professional cycling so me as a weekend warrior need not worry.

Guess you can use them in non UCI races or if you aren't registered. Like SPINNERGYs.

Unless organizers start stating in stating on entries that it may not be used, like "spinachi bars" in 1998..

That won't stop people from riding races like the Cycle Tour and 94.7 with their mountain bikes....

New reason to stay fit and get faster: Stay way in front of the MTB'ers.

The marketing dept. and number crunchers at Shimano/SRAM/Campag as well as the frame manufacturers must be having sleepless nights .... it was their next big 'upgrade money maker' for road bikes not so?

Not gonna stop the use of disc brakes now...just hope they become safer ASAP.

Damn, that is one nasty wound!

Yeah, it really just needs further innovation to deal with the unique issues of road cycling. There's no way they'll abandon it completely. Within a year they'll have customised the discs specifically for this kind of scenario. Who knows, maybe they'll extrude the discs beyond the calliper pads and flange the edges with a broad curve. Millions went into this, they'll figure it out.

The marketing dept. and number crunchers at Shimano/SRAM/Campag as well as the frame manufacturers must be having sleepless nights .... it was their next big 'upgrade money maker' for road bikes not so?

Exactly Correct Genau!!

Is it just me that can't see how a disc could cause that injury to a left leg of the rider, especially given that he did not actually fall?

The disc is on the left side, and his left leg had a whole bike between it and the bike he crashed into.

Next up: Lets ban spokes - a stray spoke on a broken wheel can puncture a lung. And those carbon seat posts and handle bars, sheered off by impact can create a potentially fatal puncture would too. A pedal that breaks off at the shaft with an exposed shaft through the quad... eina!

I guess we should all go and play soccer now.

This is causing a fuss because it is one of the two main reasons cited against disc adoption and its happened very early on.

You can't design against freak accidents (you wise guys forgot about brake callipers) but bunch crashes in the pro peleton are commonplace so this was bound to happen sooner or later.

I still think neutral service wheels is a bigger issue

Archived