[Event] 947 Cycle Challenge 2016

SWAGG

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2:59:05 on Racetec, from F. First one. Extatic. Johannesburg is not flat, not flat at all. This Stellenboscher did not expect that.

Well organised and I enjoyed it. Well done to all involved.

Can't say I have a lot of experience, been cycling only 3 years, but this felt tougher than Argus. (I have never had a windy Argus though). What do you experienced guys think?

Edited by daniemare

I agree. I'm not that experienced, (done 3 of each), and I ride for the experience, definitely not for time,  but I was nearly fleeced last year by mates when I said that 947 is tougher than Argus...

Will have to try again for that sub3.

3:04 from F. Pooks wasn't good and I fell way behind there then had to play catch up.

From a 6:10 in 2014 to a 3:04. Super happy with the result.

We must have ridden near to one another as is pretty much my race, started in F, legs did not want to work up Pooks, worked hard on the M1 to catch up to group that got away but not many working to pull it back. Lots of soloing from about 45kms picking up the odd group, tried hard to make up time from Witkoppen, at one point thought had made enough time up for the sub 3, crossed the line 3.04.... next year!

Will have to try again for that sub3.

3:04 from F. Pooks wasn't good and I fell way behind there then had to play catch up.

From a 6:10 in 2014 to a 3:04. Super happy with the result.

Well done dude. That's serious improvement there. Take the rest of the week off.

We must have ridden near to one another as is pretty much my race, started in F, legs did not want to work up Pooks, worked hard on the M1 to catch up to group that got away but not many working to pull it back. Lots of soloing from about 45kms picking up the odd group, tried hard to make up time from Witkoppen, at one point thought had made enough time up for the sub 3, crossed the line 3.04.... next year!

Sounds very similar to what I was doing so I'm sure we rode together. Was in a SPCA top with white Kask Protone.

Good time still, just need to warm up better next year. I was late this morning and didn't have time to do a warm up.

Lekker ride in D batch (target was 2h40, but managed 2h43)

Would love to know who the other 5-8 riders from D batch were that stayed together from start to the finish basically. (Apart from the fast dude with the white Giant and green socks who dropped us on the M1 and a few guys from a batch that started in d)

Was a bit hot though, feel for the guys who started anything later than 8 AM.

Edited by Cav'

when we got to that last hill nobody was saying a word!  It was just a grind.

I flew up the last hill. No problem at all.

It may have been because V12man got gatvol of waiting for me and grabbed me by the back of my jersey and towed me to the top

First ever 947 done and dusted. Will be back next year.

Great day spoiled by my own "reckless" behavior after the finish. I lost my Sigma Rox 10 Bike Comp somewhere between the medal area and the hospitality area.

If anyone picked it up, please send me a PM.

Rest up well.

Rode my 11th 947 with a 3h22 from I. To be honest, I'm not sure if I'm happy or not. On the one hand I improved by PB by about 25 minutes. On the other, looking at my splits, I rode the first half of the race in the same time as the second. Being so "back-heavy" as one hubber described the race, maybe I took it too easy at the beginning? And what is wrong with me that I just cant find a group to ride with? Aside from bits and pieces here and there, I rode 95% of the race on my own.

Will just have to go back next year and try harder.

Sounds very similar to what I was doing so I'm sure we rode together. Was in a SPCA top with white Kask Protone.

Good time still, just need to warm up better next year. I was late this morning and didn't have time to do a warm up.

Sorry for the quick (abrupt) hello. Mad rush to get the SPCA photo taken and then off for our second lap.

I have to say that the online split time calculator was very useful to pace myself and surprisingly accurate. Was 2min ahead of a 3h finish at the end of the Nelson Mandela bridge and 6 minutes ahead as we turned off Witkoppen. The last climbs from there ate up 3 and a half minutes of my lead but I know I am a below-average climber.

Kyalami was great fun, glad they added that to the route.

Edited by Rookie85

A few guys (from C/D/E) crashed right in front of me. On the highway, traveling at roughly 45km/h, about 10 guys were taken out in the bunch....anyone here know more of what happend, and if they are okay?