[Event] 947 Cycle Challenge 2016

SWAGG

Jho! You guys are fast AF!

I did my 2nd 947 on my dual suspension MTB (with off road tyres) with a charity group. Was great fun!

Didn't try to put in a fast time, rather tried to pull some of the slower guys along. Kyalami was great fun, but my throat took a bit of a hammering with all the car noises I had to make pulling through the fast corners.

Just for fun, what was the max speed that you guys achieved? I managed 69.8km/h.

83.2km/h, at the bottom of the downhill on Cedar Rd.

93kg+8.2kg helps to get that number relatively high. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Starva's estimate will be way out due to the drafting.

It calculates power based one solo rides, so if you rode the whole route on your own and wanted a time of 2:52 you would have to average 229w.

It also makes assumptions based on riding position, wind direction + force. So not much actual use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I rode my 5th consecutive 947 on Sunday.

The organization at the start and finish gets better every year. The electronic boards made loading into the start pens really easy and painless.

There will always be an idiot who tries to mess up the system, but we all got into our bunches and out on the ride with no hassle.

Well done to the organisers. Can't wait to be there again next year.

(Now, if only my legs were up to the standard of organization...)

Jho! You guys are fast AF!

I did my 2nd 947 on my dual suspension MTB (with off road tyres) with a charity group. Was great fun!

Didn't try to put in a fast time, rather tried to pull some of the slower guys along. Kyalami was great fun, but my throat took a bit of a hammering with all the car noises I had to make pulling through the fast corners.

Just for fun, what was the max speed that you guys achieved? I managed 69.8km/h.

My max speed was about the same at 70.5 km/h. I'm 72kg and I have no clue how much my bike weighs. But I must admit, I'm one of those people that pulls off to the left and starts feathering their brakes at those sorts of speeds. I'm in no danger of winning anything and the 1 or 2 minutes its going to gain vs the 6 weeks off the bike waiting to heal from my injuries (or worse) just isn't worth it IMO.

does anyone know what sort of power stats these amazing pros finished the race with or even the super fast guys who finish around 2:30? i had an average of 173w and did 2:50 riding on the limit the whole way. just for interest sake

One (former) pro that I know of who does have a power meter and is very transparent with his strava is Paul van Zweel. According to his strava he averaged 229w for a time of 2h17. Weighted average power was 282w. But he's pretty light, I think below 70kg.

https://www.strava.com/activities/780437915

The guy who came second also seems to have a power meter and his data is available. His average power was 259w and weighted average was 292w. Not sure what he weighs but he is young and looks light.

https://www.strava.com/activities/780414806/overview

I'm not a pro and I don't have a power meter so all I've got for myself is the strava estimate. I did 2h22 at 86kg and my strava estimate is 347w. I'm sure its inflated because of the drafting but I'm just gona leave that detail out when telling people  :whistling: .

post-43000-0-57638300-1479818345_thumb.png

Edited by Pall Catt

I agree with you Cycotic, it gets a bit nervy at speeds like that, I managed 74km/h down the hill just after turning right on the R55 going to heartbreak hill. I must admit my 87kg helps down the hill. I also start feathering the brakes at these speeds.

My max speed was about the same at 70.5 km/h. I'm 72kg and I have no clue how much my bike weighs. But I must admit, I'm one of those people that pulls off to the left and starts feathering their brakes at those sorts of speeds. I'm in no danger of winning anything and the 1 or 2 minutes its going to gain vs the 6 weeks off the bike waiting to heal from my injuries (or worse) just isn't worth it IMO.

Only three of my Strava contacts did the race and weirdly enough they all topped out at around 70km/h (69.5, 70.3, 71.0)

Just an observation - nothing else - but wonder if it's a physical limitation or are you all just equal wussies?  ;)  :P

Only three of my Strava contacts did the race and weirdly enough they all topped out at around 70km/h (69.5, 70.3, 71.0)

Just an observation - nothing else - but wonder if it's a physical limitation or are you all just equal wussies?  ;)  :P

My physical limitation is that I'm a wussy. :whistling:

For sure! I really do not want to come off the bike at those speeds!

Was just interesting that I could get to those speeds with the MTB and with off road tyres.

77.5km/h on lap 1 (down to Heartbreak hill)

79.8km/h on lap 2 (down Cedar road)

On the track (lap 2), I came to a complete standstill at the top of the mine shaft, then half a turn of the cranks to get going. I had a race with two others to see how far we could get to, without pedaling. I made it to the start-finish straight (start #36), but finished a good 30-40m behind the winner, and about 10m in front of the third. Max speed was 65.7km/h just before the bottom of mine shaft.

Edited by geraldm24

My physical limitation is that I'm a wussy. :whistling:

I am with you 100% I have a bit of a reputation with my riding buddies that I am the only person in the world that they have to wait for on a downhill. I maxed out at 72km/h. I tried not to brake but I couldn't help it

I was very disappointed to have maxed out at 73.8km/h I have these new wheels I feel super confident on, been leaving my club mates behind the last few weeks and then did such a pathetic max speed.

I was very disappointed to have maxed out at 73.8km/h I have these new wheels I feel super confident on, been leaving my club mates behind the last few weeks and then did such a pathetic max speed.

Ja 73km/h is a bit "soft" for a road bike!  :D

77.8km/h, down to Heartbreak...

Managed 99.7 last year down Cedar on a gravel bike  :blink:

Think the one thing we're all forgetting about last year is that horrendous headwind from the north (/tailwind down Cedar). That would've had an impact on the sub-3 comparison with 2014 for sure...

According to my Garmin I topped out at 88.2km/h and I am a lightweight 75kg with a compact crank so I don't really bother pedaling downhill much. Love the speed of a road bike,that's what got me hooked .

Have maxed out at 92.2km/h down comaro ave here in the south it's frikkin proper steep. Must admit get white knuckle fever when I go down there.

EDIT: Am talking rubbish ... Not 88.2km 82.8km/h ????....dyslexia ok rules

Edited by Pikey