Alleged bicycle syndicate thieves go free after paying R500 fine | Northcliff Melville Times

nonky

ZAR500 fine for bike theft syndicate.  No wonder we have a crime problem in SA.

Alleged bicycle syndicate thieves go free after paying R500 fine
NORTHCLIFF – Two suspects, who were allegedly part of a bicycle theft syndicate, received a R500 fine at Newlands Magistrates’ Court.
about 1 hour ago
http://northcliffmelvilletimes.co.za/wp-content/uploads/sites/7/2016/04/NT16PHATHUbicycle_33147.jpg
Beagle Watch task force officer Clement Ndlovu chased down the suspect. Photo supplied.

Three suspects who were allegedly behind the bicycle theft syndicate were arrested on 20 April.

The first suspect was arrested after Beagle Watch Security officer, Clement Ndlovu, gave chase along Beyers Naudé Drive in Northcliff.

According to Anne Wood from the security company, the suspect was arrested and returned to the premises where he stole the bicycle. “He was positively identified from CCTV footage,” she said.

She further explained that the suspect admitted that he had stolen the bicycles, which he then sold to a syndicate.

Beagle Watch officers and the Fairland Police took the suspect to a premises in Windsor where two members of the syndicate were arrested and three stolen bicycles were recovered.

“A fourth bicycle was recovered in Cosmo City,” she said.

Fairland Police spokesperson Constable Moloko Kgatla said two suspects were released after a brief appearance at the Newlands Magistrates’ Court on 21 April.

The two suspects who were arrested for being in possession of the stolen goods were given a R500 fine,” Const Kgatla said.

He further explained that he was still waiting to hear from the court if the third suspect charged with theft, was remanded in custody or not.

Details: Beagle Watch, 011 678 1972; Fairland Police, 011 478 9411.

Related articles:

http://northcliffmelvilletimes.co.za/225443/alleged-bicycle-syndicate-thieves-go-free-after-paying-r500-fine/

..to offset the combined R1000 "loss", they will need to acquire more "stock".

The thieves make money, the state makes money, neat little circle of sustainable income there. 

We had a similar instance when one of our neighbours house was broken into. They stole some electrical appliances. The police caught all 5 people involved that morning but by the evening when our neighbour went back to the police station they were already all out on bail roaming the street. - Later we learnt that "theft" is classed as a minor offence, you need to ensure they are charged with robbery which is classed as a serious offence and they cannot just get out of jail on bail it needs to go to court. 

The problem is that in most cases the victims of these crimes don't realise this and are happy to just get a case number so they can claim it from there insurance. 

Bottom line the whole system is flawed 

Hate to have to say this, but maybe justice would've been better served by a kangaroo court in this matter. Let them run the gauntlet along the Spruit, where all the ex-bike owners affected by their malicious acts of theft, are waiting to give them a good crack with anything long hard and steel. FFS

Guest notmyname

Oh come on. They're previously disadvantaged individuals. They don't know any better. All you okes... I'm disappointed in you. How could you wish harm on these poor people who survived oppression and had "their" land brutally stolen from them. Tsk Tsk.