Bobbo_SA

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that too. Does anyone have experience to compare these to Assos bibs?

Whilst a R500 (R800) bib doesn't really match the build-quality or fabric-quality of a premium manufactured bib, the Merell's aren't bad value for the spend. For me, it is a good training-ride bib that saves the Assos for longer weekend rides and races. 

I bought one pair previously, to check it out, and that I have used for about 200 2-3hr rides over the past couple of years and have just bought two more. It's best feature is that it makes your Assos bibs last even longer. 

For the pair that I am riding, whilst it certainly looks well-used, the elastic on the legs, the chamois and the overall fit of the lycra is still good. Nothing has fallen apart yet.

Whilst a R500 (R800) bib doesn't really match the build-quality or fabric-quality of a premium manufactured bib, the Merell's aren't bad value for the spend. For me, it is a good training-ride bib that saves the Assos for longer weekend rides and races. 

I bought one pair previously, to check it out, and that I have used for about 200 2-3hr rides over the past couple of years and have just bought two more. It's best feature is that it makes your Assos bibs last even longer. 

For the pair that I am riding, whilst it certainly looks well-used, the elastic on the legs, the chamois and the overall fit of the lycra is still good. Nothing has fallen apart yet.

Thank you very much for the in depth description and comparison - I find it very useful! :thumbup:

Also saw that. Not sure where they get their 50% discount from, as you can buy 24x at Makro for R599. Add R65 for shipping at ODO and you're already losing R15 on 12x Beers.

However if you buy 24 from ODO you save a solid R36, and you have to wait, for who knows how long.

Edit: I see Makro doesn't actually sell the IPA.

Edited by bertusras

Also saw that. Not sure where they get their 50% discount from, as you can buy 24x at Makro for R599. Add R65 for shipping at ODO and you're already losing R15 on 12x Beers.

However if you buy 24 from ODO you save a solid R36, and you have to wait, for who knows how long.

Edit: I see Makro doesn't actually sell the IPA.

Didn't know was at Makro as well. Just saw that Imperal IPA is 7%+ on the alcohol stakes which doesn't encourage it to be a afternoon session ale! 

Didn't know was at Makro as well. Just saw that Imperal IPA is 7%+ on the alcohol stakes which doesn't encourage it to be a afternoon session ale! 

Ja the 50% might be close then, I wasn't paying proper attention when I made my comment. CBC's own website doesn't even have a price.

Edit: Still no. R500 for 12 Beers will never sell, there's no way that's the retail.

Edited by bertusras

Ja the 50% might be close then, I wasn't paying proper attention when I made my comment. CBC's own website doesn't even have a price.

Edit: Still no. R500 for 12 Beers will never sell, there's no way that's the retail.

100%. I'm guessing it's moving stock as I can't believe that is a big seller in their range. I remember it being pretty expensive (when compared to the other expensive 'craft' beers) when I saw it in the local shop. I think the use of 'case' a bit of a misleader. R250 for a case seems good until you realise that's 12 beers. Still a few good beers you can get individually at R20 a pop. 

Actually need to apologise for posting. Bad call. 

100%. I'm guessing it's moving stock as I can't believe that is a big seller in their range. I remember it being pretty expensive (when compared to the other expensive 'craft' beers) when I saw it in the local shop. I think the use of 'case' a bit of a misleader. R250 for a case seems good until you realise that's 12 beers. Still a few good beers you can get individually at R20 a pop. 

Actually need to apologise for posting. Bad call. 

I personally wouldn't buy any craft beer on sale. Most likely old stock close to expiry.

I bought a variety of CBC flavours from a shop near Summit Cycles and it was nowhere near R42 a bottle. I think it was around R30 each, but I can't remember too well, since it was during 2015. This was simply off of the shelf.

I personally wouldn't buy any craft beer on sale. Most likely old stock close to expiry.

The same shop I visited from above said that the reason why they don't stock too much of craft beer is because they expire much faster than larger scale brewed beer - usually up to 2 months he said back then.

Anyone know if these bibs are any good? 

I have a pair that I've been using for about two years and they are solid. Nice comfy pad which is the best part, but the reflective lettering has started to come off (as you'd expect), but can't complain about the comfort or fit at all.