Which Power meter??

Henley 1

I need to invest in a cost efficient power meter. Ideally it should fit on my road bike (and maybe on the TT bike as well) but will also serve as indoor trainer on cheapo rollers. Compatibility with Garmin 910 XT would be a bonus

what says the experts? 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to invest in a cost efficient power meter. Ideally it should fit on my road bike (and maybe on the TT bike as well) but will also serve as indoor trainer on cheapo rollers. Compatibility with Garmin 910 XT would be a bonus

what says the experts? 

I have a Power2Max PM which is mounted permanently on my bike on my cranks in place of the spindle with my Chainrings. It communicates directly with my simple Garmin 510 with the standard Ant+ interface. It therefore records all indoor sessions on my stationary trainer, all road rides; i.e. every time the cranks revolve!

It starts up automatically and goes automatically into rest mode when not cycling.

Info recorded includes - Cadence (live and ave, Power in W (live, 3s & 10second ave, normalized power, TSS, IF and balance between left and right crank! basically everything you require at a reasonable cost, when compared with most other PM's such as Quarck etc.

At the end of each ride the info can be downloaded from the Garmin into Training peaks where the PM info is overlaid with all other ride info such as ascent, HR, speed etc.

Brilliant for PM training!

I improved my PB at this years Argus by over 5 Min!

Cost effective = Stages

5 min to move the crank to your other bike

Negligible weight, simple reliable accurate, but yes no left/right ratio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He said cost efficient. P1's are fairly pricey, no?

Depends whom is buying / paying ? ;-)

G3 a good option, but then you're limited as to what wheels you use.

I've had one and have since changed to the chainring option.

Bikeradar.com March 28th best power meters of 2016.

P1 didn't get a good review with apparent errors and significant over reading of power values above 300W. They claim it was one of the worst on test.

Smart money according to them is Quarq Elsa rs, stages, Srm, verve infocrank, garmin vector pedals and PT G3 hub.

This would place the vector system ahead of the P1 and at similar cost

Edited by raptor-22

Power2Max is a brilliant product. The local supplier, well..... Otherwise the product is excellent!!!! and very very good value for money as I stand corrected but it is the cheapest available in SA at the moment

Stages ftw!!

Simple cost effective and weighs 25-30grams vs a heavy powetap hub.

Edited by Malpiet

Got my eye on either a Quarq or a Power2max for S-Works crank. Anyone care to share the SA prices of these things? Just as a matter of curiosity, really, as I am likely to order off a USA price list anyway...