Dopers suck

fandacious

I didn't read that he planned on riding the tour unless I missed it. It seems that he is vending his training plans though. Using a dude who is serving a ban to promote the event seems a bit like shooting themselves in the ethical heart though. If I was running PR for the event, I would definitely not have done that!

Is KE being used to promote the event?

If he offers advise and you take it, how is the event at fault, and why is it a problem to use his past exprience as a training method? Didnt he say he had no plans to race again and was going to promote cycling, which is why he didnt try to defend the allegations?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he offers advise and you take it, how is the event at fault, and why is it a problem to use his past exprience as a training method? Didnt he say he had no plans to race again and was going to promote cycling, which is why he didnt try to defend the allegations?

:eek:

His training program (accompanied with a big photo of him) featured prominently on the event page as well.

So yes, they were using him to promote the race.

He has been prominent on the Knysna Cycling Tour webpage for many years so it might have been an oversight this year (they had the same training program last year)

I'm all for forgive & forget moving on - AFTER he served his ban. 

I suppose it would be the compact version with a "one event only" peak. Thereafter, you can join him in his 4 year non-competitive training camp...

His website and twitter handle as well as his photo on the first page of their twitter feed. Either they put it there or allowed him to....

Edit: I see Skubarra already responded.

Edited by BDF

Wow -did not realise he got 4 years when BS and DG got 2

DG and BS still fell under the previous sanction of 2 years before the change to 4 yrs. . I think the change from 2 to 4 yrs one came into effect Jan 2015.

Also subject to the kind of doping bla bla bla bla...

Edited by Gen

Surely a ban should extend to coaching as well?

Surely a ban should extend to coaching as well?

Seems not to be like Valke's soccer ban. I understand it KE's ban is for competing only.

To quote him.... “Having retired last year officially in May, I’m naturally disappointed that this has to come out subsequently, but I’m happy to take my sanction and move on. I have no desire or will to return to professional cycling, merely to focus on my business and giving back to the sport that has given me so much"

So it seems he can do whatever he likes besides compete in any sanctioned event ...

To quote him.... “Having retired last year officially in May, I’m naturally disappointed that this has to come out subsequently, but I’m happy to take my sanction and move on. I have no desire or will to return to professional cycling, merely to focus on my business and giving back to the sport that has given me so much"

So it seems he can do whatever he likes besides compete in any sanctioned event ...

Yes, technically nor he nor the organisers are breaking any rules - if that is what you are after.

But if you can't see for yourself the moral/ethical problem with an athlete serving a doping ban being used to market an event and the message it is sending out to the cycling community then it is pointless trying to convince you.

And given the speed this tweet & his profile on the website was removed convince me it was an oversight from the organisers given that he was also used last year.

Retiring didn't undo his ban, and nothing stops him from coming out of retirement and restarting his vets cycling career once his ban is over, just like his ex-partners BS and DG. 

Yes, technically nor he nor the organisers are breaking any rules - if that is what you are after.

But if you can't see for yourself the moral/ethical problem with an athlete serving a doping ban being used to market an event and the message it is sending out to the cycling community then it is pointless trying to convince you.

And given the speed this tweet & his profile on the website was removed convince me it was an oversight from the organisers given that he was also used last year.

Retiring didn't undo his ban, and nothing stops him from coming out of retirement and restarting his vets cycling career once his ban is over, just like his ex-partners BS and DG.

I'm really happy with the "new" social drive to keep dopers out of the sport. Epic opened the door with their "no dopers" rule and we the riders are keeping the pressure up. This race removing KE from their site is another tiny victory in the fight against doping.