Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTnVDl6Y6u4

The above video shows how to make a tap and die for making wooden threads.

I have thought about using a scaffolding leveling jack as the vice screw and attach the nut thingy that comes with it to the back of the leg for the for the screw to screw in.  I am just worried that this setup will have to much pay because the leveling jack and nut thingy feels really loose.

Anybody that have tried this before?

Sorry about the orientation, mobile upload. Not sure I like the matt finish from the wax, might need a few more layers.

Walnut hat coat and umbrella rack. Not sure if the walnut is as good as I’d hoped. Not for the price anyway.

I seem to remember my grandfather complaining that walnut has gone to stupid prices over the last few years. Still a beautiful wood...

Sorry about the orientation, mobile upload. Not sure I like the matt finish from the wax, might need a few more layers.

I found that the walnut I worked with always took a lot of polishing to close the porous grain, but once that happens it really comes to life. I'm referring to a London Oil type finish and that just look many layers and lots of elbow grease.

Elbow Grease and very fine steel wool bru.  :whistling:

Edited by Moridin

My 10 year old son asked me on Sunday just before lunch if I can "quickly" make him some targets for his Daisy that falls over when it is hit.  After lunch after we found some pics he likes, then he heads to the door and tells me he is going to play.  "Hold on...  you gonna help!".  So he cut out 11 of the 12 targets on the scroll saw and only broke one blade (I was quite impressed, I have broken many by now!).  While we were busy, we made 8 spares that we have them when we need to replace these ones.  But the pellets barely make a dent - they should last a while...   

So our "quick" project took the whole afternoon!  It was dark when we finished so we had to test it under spotlight!  :ph34r:

My mechanism does work, but not perfect.  Next time I will lay out the holes a bit more accurate and drill them on the drill press to have better alignment.  (The fixed blocks have short pins in them and the target blocks some holes that enables it to swivel on the pins. - My freehand drilling was not very straight!)

post-50518-0-06959200-1594131086_thumb.jpg 

Edited by carrera4s

My 10 year old son asked me on Sunday just before lunch if I can "quickly" make him some targets for his Daisy that falls over when it is hit.  After lunch after we found some pics he likes, then he heads to the door and tells me he is going to play.  "Hold on...  you gonna help!".  So he cut out 11 of the 12 targets on the scroll saw and only broke one blade (I was quite impressed, I have broken many by now!).  While we were busy, we made 8 spares that we have them when we need to replace these ones.  But the pellets barely make a dent - they should last a while...   

So our "quick" project took the whole afternoon!  It was dark when we finished so we had to test it under spotlight!  :ph34r:

My mechanism does work, but not perfect.  Next time I will lay out the holes a bit more accurate and drill them on the drill press to have better alignment.  (The fixed blocks have short pins in them and the target blocks some holes that enables it to swivel on the pins. - My freehand drilling was not very straight!)

attachicon.gifTeikenskiet.jpg

I particularly like the tuna  :thumbup:  :D

I particularly like the tuna  :thumbup:  :D

Me too. But me being a "valie" I know jack about fish. I kept on calling it a shark, and he kept on correcting me!!!   :blush:  :blush:

He likes watching Wicked Tuna when we visit grandparents!  (We don't have DSTV).

Edited by carrera4s

seems like such an obvious idea, to include a scale with the offset already accounted for.

you see the latest ep with Gaston, and that 5m folding ruler?  ^_^

A good many years now I have been using a distometer measuring up on site, this combined with a short section of ruler that I have cut down to fit in my pocket and a bit of prestic have been my tools of choice.....but this tape measure has my interest.

The cut down ruler allows me to measure the short sections that the disto can't pick up, and the prestic in combination with the ruler allows me to measure outside wall lengths .... plak the ruler on wall with prestic and fire away with the disto from the other corner to get the distance.

That tape measure though would be very valuable for measuring up joinery and furniture elements.

or you guys could just use your measuring tape correctly..to measure inside sizes.....

or you guys could just use your measuring tape correctly..to measure inside sizes.....

Nah .. when doing hundreds of measurements a day, I do not want to have to do the math adding the tape measure casing size to the measurement being taken ... it just opens up room for error.

An error measuring up on site can get expensive.