Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

So Im finally done with my plane restoration, hopefully this post wont be too long!

It started out looking like this.

post-4822-0-98527800-1503908676_thumb.jpg

post-4822-0-98329800-1503908687_thumb.jpg

post-4822-0-63154300-1503908696_thumb.jpg

As you can see it was quite heavily rusted and had worked very hard, the rear tote was also broken. My grandfather was not light on tools!

So first step was a soft wire brush to remove the light rust and then a bit of a soak in this...

post-4822-0-82547800-1503908980_thumb.jpg

I chopped the top off a 2l Fanta bottle because everything fitted snugly in there and could be completely covered.

This was just after all the parts were added.

post-4822-0-12264200-1503909047_thumb.jpg

This was what it looked like after 16 hours of soaking, yum yum!

post-4822-0-46512100-1503909091_thumb.jpg

Continued in next post...

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you plan on using vinegar to remove rust then you need to be fairly careful with how long it is in for and also need to very quickly neutralise it after removing the parts.

Vinegar is an acidic solution so you need a base to sort that out. Bicarbonate of soda mixed with some warm water does a good job of that so the parts went from the vinegar into that and were swirled around for about 5 minutes.

This was the result straight out of the vinegar.

post-4822-0-72149100-1503909864_thumb.jpg

I really liked the patina on this bit so I did very little work afterwards to try and preserve it.

post-4822-0-56873400-1503909903_thumb.jpg

The rest of the parts were either treated to a scotch brite pad or P100 sandpaper depending on how much love they needed.

I had some lathe time at my inlaws place(Im still trying to get myself a lathe) so I turned a new knob for it, it wasnt entirely necessary but I wanted to add something custom to it.

post-4822-0-49727300-1503910090_thumb.jpg

Next up was the tote, I had originally planned to make a new one because the old one was badly broken, but getting the drilled angle in it was not possible without a long travel drill press and I dont have one. I resorted to carefully cleaning up the surfaces, scraping/sanding and gluing the old one.

post-4822-0-39981300-1503910278_thumb.jpg

Next up I used a marble slab I have with sandpaper glued to it and went from 100-600 grit while flatening out the sole of the plane. It took a really really long time.

The lesson I learned after the first evening of sanding the iron is that you need one of these!

post-4822-0-46550300-1503910483_thumb.jpg

I didnt have one to start and it took about 4 days to get the taste of iron out of my mouth from inhaling the very fine dust. 

The sides were also treated to the flattening and cleaning up with sandpaper.

Unfortunately I didnt take pics of that because it was hours of hard labour and my hands were way too dirty to touch my phone. 

I realised there is a point of diminishing returns when working on the iron and some pitting cant be removed so it doesnt look 100% perfect.

Next up was the repainting of the inside, this was done with some black gloss spraypaint.

post-4822-0-00705100-1503910820_thumb.jpg

I didnt mask off any of the machined areas because the machining was so poor on them and they had been painted out of the factory so it was stripped afterwards.

Stripping some paint.

post-4822-0-37271200-1503910875_thumb.jpg

After that I sharpened the iron and fixed the mating surfaces on the chip breaker. It took a lot of flattening and work to get them to work well together.

A bit more light sanding and it was done.

I did have to use a file to knock off some corners and realign the opening of the throat a bit. The frog was also a pain to get set because it was from a cheap plane and there was minimal machining to get a good platform.

I may still go back to it and do some more work but for now Im going to call it done.

post-4822-0-53870400-1503911274_thumb.jpg

post-4822-0-08747700-1503911287_thumb.jpg

post-4822-0-88071300-1503911299_thumb.jpg

post-4822-0-49305800-1503911313_thumb.jpg

I used it to fix a badly fitting door yesterday and it worked really well, so Im quite happy with it.

I also would like to know. Here in Strand WD40 or Q20 helps close to buggerall. I have now resorted to store my tools in plastic containers with lids.

My planes all live in a cupboard in our home. Wifey don't mind.

attachicon.gifIMG_1547.JPG

Am I mistaken or is that a Veritas low angle jack on the top shelf? that tote looks very much like a Veritas.

very nice work rocket boy

Thanks :) it was way more work than I expected but it was fun at the same time.

Bailey no4 should be arriving today so it all starts again this evening!

Next up was the repainting of the inside, this was done with some black gloss spraypaint.

attachicon.gifpaint1.jpg

I didnt mask off any of the machined areas because the machining was so poor on them and they had been painted out of the factory so it was stripped afterwards.

Stripping some paint.

attachicon.gifpaint2.jpg

After that I sharpened the iron and fixed the mating surfaces on the chip breaker. It took a lot of flattening and work to get them to work well together.

A bit more light sanding and it was done.

I did have to use a file to knock off some corners and realign the opening of the throat a bit. The frog was also a pain to get set because it was from a cheap plane and there was minimal machining to get a good platform.

I may still go back to it and do some more work but for now Im going to call it done.

attachicon.gifdone1.jpg

attachicon.gifdone2.jpg

attachicon.gifdone3.jpg

attachicon.gifdone4.jpg

I used it to fix a badly fitting door yesterday and it worked really well, so Im quite happy with it.

VERY good job, Rocketman!

I have  acouple of old planes that will be getting this treatment. Thanks for the motivation to do this!!!

VERY good job, Rocketman!

I have  acouple of old planes that will be getting this treatment. Thanks for the motivation to do this!!!

Thanks bro. Its easier than I thought it would be but it does take a lot of time. What comes out though is really awesome and will last for a really long time.

Thanks bro. Its easier than I thought it would be but it does take a lot of time. What comes out though is really awesome and will last for a really long time.

Good Job!

I have a No 5 and No 7 that needs some TLC - what is your address?    ;)

Good Job!

I have a No 5 and No 7 that needs some TLC - what is your address?    ;)

Send them over and I will give them some love :)

No 7 is a very useful plane and definitely on my list of ones to pick up when I find it.

Just collected my no 4 so will take a look at its condition this evening.

Am I mistaken or is that a Veritas low angle jack on the top shelf? that tote looks very much like a Veritas.

That be it, yes. Fooking lovely plane that. And with the toothed blade, super awesome at flattening pieces quickly. Highly recommended.

Rocket Boy, awesome labour of love that. Broken totes is a common occurrence. Wonder why Mr Bailey did not design the tote along the same pattern as the Veritas bevel down planes. 

That be it, yes. Fooking lovely plane that. And with the toothed blade, super awesome at flattening pieces quickly. Highly recommended.

It didnt take much to spot it, those things are works of art. Im eyeing one of their low angle block planes at the moment, got a bit of time to think about it with friends coming over from the States in December...

Rocket Boy, awesome labour of love that. Broken totes is a common occurrence. Wonder why Mr Bailey did not design the tote along the same pattern as the Veritas bevel down planes. 

The tote design isnt great on the old Stanleys,they aren't the most comfortable either.

I think I will be looking at a drill press fairly soon so that I can build new ones for the regular use planes.

Lee Valley have a great resource for tote plans that can be plakked on to a block of wood and used as a template.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=63262&cat=1,46168,63262